Massdrop PLUS Universal IEM
Apr 18, 2018 at 10:32 PM Post #301 of 877
I think you're spot on, the comfort level may be very different for different people, and you have to try to really know it.

For me I don't really feel Andros uncomfortable, though not as comfortable as Westone IEMs, but probably on the same level as most other multi-BA IEMs. However with the Plus they almost make me forget I have earphones on, that's how comfortable they are to me.

By the way the Andros also make me forget I have earphones on.. but for some other reasons, sonically I guess..

Yes!!!!

Apr 18, 2018 at 11:47 PM Post #302 of 877
Apr 18, 2018 at 11:59 PM Post #303 of 877
Apr 19, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #304 of 877
Does anyone know how these sound compared to the iBasso IT01?

Apr 19, 2018 at 4:40 PM Post #306 of 877
I own both and from what I can tell, the graphs say it all. The Plus has exaggerated highs and less bass. I actually think the iT01 is a little better. (I bought the Plus knowing it would sound like that, and I bought it for certain applications, not as a general listening device for everything)

But it's personal preference (and opinion). It also depends on the source. And... It could be manufacturing variations.

Right now, the iT01 is my favorite, and I have a few. (I need more ) :D

note: big price difference also.......

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #308 of 877
I own both and from what I can tell, the graphs say it all. The Plus has exaggerated highs and less bass. I actually think the iT01 is a little better. (I bought the Plus knowing it would sound like that, and I bought it for certain applications, not as a general listening device for everything)

But it's personal preference (and opinion). It also depends on the source. And... It could be manufacturing variations.

Right now, the iT01 is my favorite, and I have a few. (I need more ) :D

note: big price difference also.......

Exaggerated highs? I thought the treble was closer to neutral? Is there a lower treble spike like the IT01?

I don't mind the less bass. I actually thought IT01 was a little too much. The lower mids were a little more recessed than I would have liked though.

Apr 19, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #309 of 877
Exaggerated highs? I thought the treble was closer to neutral? Is there a lower treble spike like the IT01?

I don't mind the less bass. I actually thought IT01 was a little too much. The lower mids were a little more recessed than I would have liked though.
MD+ upper mids match DF compensation -- this is neutral according to the DF reference.

To my ears, the MD+ has a hot region right around 7-8kHz, depending on the ear tips used. Narrower bores push the peak up, and deep insertion (3-flange) flattens the peak somewhat. Upper treble >10kHz is somewhat recessed which leads to a lack of air.

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:07 PM Post #310 of 877
You need to see the graphs. These exactly parallel the ER4 in the upper regions. They were made to give you the upper characteristic of the midrange/treble heavy ER4 with the added bass of an Andro (which I thought was odd as the Andro's bass curve is generic, whereas the ER4 curve is very unique, so mentioning the Andromeda was unnecessary really).

You need to see the graphs on Massdrop. These are sort of ER4 tribute IEMS, in a way. You can say all sorts of things, but a picture is worth a thousand words. Graphs are very useful, and in this case, essential to see before shelling $300.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #312 of 877
The ER4 series is far from treble heavy with proper depth of fit. But can sound hot in the upper midrange to some for sure.

The Plus does have more lower treble presence than the Ety’s overall, which certainly gives it more sparle in comparison, but it doesn’t quite have the same upper treble presence/extension either. The difference is small in extension and perhaps the increased lower treble masks the extension somewhat.

Deeper fit will smoothen the lower treble peaks of the Plus but won’t make it less bright sounding. If it sounds hot, you probably have too shallow a fit for your ear geometry. Dual flange depth sounds fanstastic to my ears. At the end of the day ymmv

Apr 19, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #313 of 877
My definition of treble is sort of wrong. (You need to see the graphs).

I'm not very precise with the definitions, sorry. I sort of divide it between bass and treble, which thinking about it, isn't going to cut it in an audio enthusiast forum. :D

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2018 at 2:35 AM Post #315 of 877
For those in doubt, you can always resell them here on the headfi "for sale" forum. they seem to move fast at $250, so you'd really only be out $50 bucks. It seems like this IEM is worth the chance - the hype seems to be holding up. Also, to help tame any treble spike, you can use foams if the double flange deeper insertion doesn't work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back