Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Ebony impressions thread
Jul 25, 2016 at 12:15 AM Post #62 of 520
The ebony do look great, but I'm quite happy with my Mahogany's sound. Coming from ATH-AD900X they sound anything BUT thin or weak...
I also love the woody look of the mahogany, the ebony is very black, IDK if the lovely natural grain would be so obvious on those.
I might get a pair eventually, but not rushing to spend (another) $500 US on essentially the same HP with different timbre...

Besides, once my STAX gear arrives I suspect these may spend more time being looked at than being worn.

nb: Some ppl have said the TH-X00s don't isolate very well. Holy crap! I can't hear my wife nagging from the next room at moderate volume (60-70 on Grace m9XX). That's good enough for me. :wink:

Jul 25, 2016 at 12:24 AM Post #64 of 520
Not at all. I've posted 2 comments on them.

1) That a 1 minute impression is not sufficient to make a conclusive judgement on a headphone.

2) That it's not selling well.

I'd advise you actually read my post history before commenting on it.

Jul 25, 2016 at 12:37 AM Post #65 of 520
Not at all. I've posted 2 comments on them.

1) That a 1 minute impression is not sufficient to make a conclusive judgement on a headphone.

2) That it's not selling well.

I'd advise you actually read my post history before commenting on it.

I looked closely before I made my first post. Also, essentially falling back on a "u mad bro" argument related to the sale of headphones is pretty juvenile.

Jul 25, 2016 at 12:57 AM Post #67 of 520
I looked closely before I made my first post. Also, essentially falling back on a "u mad bro" argument related to the sale of headphones is pretty juvenile.

Which ironically, is exactly what you did to me, after I expressed my opinion (like others) that it isn't selling well.

"So are you salty re: the ebony because you bought a previous incarnation or some other reason?"

Jul 25, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #69 of 520
  gosh darn they just sound virtually neutral.

Quote:
  but this is DANG close to neutral

Well, here's where an audiophile might get warning flags as to what to expect, since the TH-900 are pretty ******* far from neutral and mainly known for "fun" EDM listening...

Fun question, have anyone compared the TH-X00 to the D2000/D7000 which Foxtex once based their products on? (To me, the D2000 sounds like puke, so I really hope we're not coming full circle here.)

Jul 25, 2016 at 8:36 AM Post #70 of 520
Well, here's where an audiophile might get warning flags as to what to expect, since the TH-900 are pretty ******* far from neutral and mainly known for "fun" EDM listening...

Fun question, have anyone compared the TH-X00 to the D2000/D7000 which Foxtex once based their products on? (To me, the D2000 sounds like puke, so I really hope we're not coming full circle here.)

Well, my quote that you're responding to is after EQ.

Also when I say neutral I mean speaker neutral, not headphone neutral. I don't consider the HD600 anywhere close to neutral, for example.

Jul 25, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #71 of 520
Oversaturation.

I think they're going to extend the drop another month.

Translation: for my credit card bill, I really hope they extend the drop another month.

Jul 25, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #72 of 520
I think they're going to extend the drop another month.

Translation: for my credit card bill, I really hope they extend the drop another month.

Haha... yeah, no complain there. They can keep extending it until November and I won't be $500 short of money till then. Hopefully they do that. :wink:

Jul 27, 2016 at 2:09 AM Post #73 of 520
  Hello all, just a quick note to say that I've got a VASTLY improved review between the three TH-X00's coming up, and already underway! 
beerchug.gif

Looking forward.  Thanks for the effort

Jul 28, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #74 of 520
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufAkP2Njmvs

A review side by side with the TH600's and D2000's. Reviewer says the Ebony's compare closely with the D2000's...

Yeah, I think I'll pass for $500.

Jul 28, 2016 at 6:48 PM Post #75 of 520
  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufAkP2Njmvs

A review side by side with the TH600's and D2000's. Reviewer says the Ebony's compare closely with the D2000's... Yeah, I think I'll pass for $500, thanks.

Interesting comparison he made between Ebony and Mahogany.

"These don't sound like the original X00s that I listened to.  Those things were bass, face, out of here.  Amazing detail right up in there.  And these aren't quite that. Now according to the frequency response graphs that are here, these [Ebony] should match the low end of the originals [Mahogany].. but I don't see it.  I don't see these matching.  These are a little bit more laid back in their neutrality. Little less bass comin out to kill you."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back