Massdrop Fostex TH-X00 Ebony impressions thread
Jul 20, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #17 of 520
I was in the original PH drop, and I've joined this one. A shame I can't "officially" move from the PH version to the ebony version - I'm likely going to try to flip the PH TH-X00 immediately.

Jul 20, 2016 at 3:10 PM Post #18 of 520
The Mahogany is already pretty bassy I can't imagine what the PH sounds like if it's really that more bassy but it must be insane.  I wish I could listen to it. 

Is the Ebony noticeably bassier than the Mahogany?

Jul 20, 2016 at 4:59 PM Post #19 of 520

Oh my gosh. I'm sorry but I don't believe that for a second. In the main X00 thread, I don't think there is a single person who says that the 900 isn't better, and I do believe there's quite a few who says the cups don't make that much of a difference (though nobody disputes that there are differences). Maybe the Zolkis modded TH-900 doesn't sound as good as a stock TH-900? As for the 1770 comparison, I'm lost. But then again, all these impressions are highly personal, but yours sticks out and it's a bit worrisome that that's the one that's in the OP and might give people false hope since the Massdrop isn't over yet.

Probably a different strokes for different folks thing. I heard the th-x00 a lot more before the th-900 and then when I finally sat down with the th-900 I thought they were pretty different sounding. The th-x00 I would grab for an all rounder and the th-900 I would grab for fun bassy songs. It always strikes me as odd when people try to compare headphones with different tonalities.

Who knows, it might be unlikely but if you get a chance to hear the th-x00 ebony you might like it more or not. It is still early and not that many have had a chance to give the ebony a listen. In the questyle room there were more than few folks who listened to the ebony, some longer and some shorter than the others. I would of loved to bring them ebony back to my hotel room and listen on my gear with my songs for a longer time but I wasn't able to.

headphones.com Stay updated on headphones.com at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.headphones.com/ andrew@headphones.com
Jul 20, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #20 of 520
  Probably a different strokes for different folks thing. I heard the th-x00 a lot more before the th-900 and then when I finally sat down with the th-900 I thought they were pretty different sounding. The th-x00 I would grab for an all rounder and the th-900 I would grab for fun bassy songs. It always strikes me as odd when people try to compare headphones with different tonalities.

Who knows, it might be unlikely but if you get a chance to hear the th-x00 ebony you might like it more or not. It is still early and not that many have had a chance to give the ebony a listen. In the questyle room there were more than few folks who listened to the ebony, some longer and some shorter than the others. I would of loved to bring them ebony back to my hotel room and listen on my gear with my songs for a longer time but I wasn't able to.

yeah, I simultaneously recognize that the TH900 is better in many/most technical aspects, but it's just too bright for me.  I preferred the THX00, and then preferred the THX00 with mahogany cups, damping applied and Lawton pads by a LOT.  

Jul 20, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #21 of 520
It would be great if they could sell the cups separately so that people won't have the upgradetitis all the time... I just purchased the mahogany and really want to the ebony version now... Flipping the mahogany and then getting the ebony would be a bit of work and loss of investment. Where can I find some ebony cups without paying the full price for the headphones? It's all too much.

Jul 20, 2016 at 8:32 PM Post #22 of 520
Was the Purplehearts 'too' bassy?

I also wants to know as well.. I like bass but not overwhelming amount..
is the PH bass is similar to DENON D7000? or more?

Jul 20, 2016 at 11:48 PM Post #24 of 520
I haven't heard the Massdrop version, but I bought a pair of stock x00s and installed a set of E-Mu ebony cups and it made me fall in love with them all over again. Incredible pairing.

Yup, if the cup design really is the all that makes the Ebony version different from the original TH-X00 it sure is an incredible pairing. Really though the pairing that had synergy was between the Elise amp from Feliks Audio and the Ebony.

Oh my gosh. I'm sorry but I don't believe that for a second. In the main X00 thread, I don't think there is a single person who says that the 900 isn't better, and I do believe there's quite a few who says the cups don't make that much of a difference (though nobody disputes that there are differences). Maybe the Zolkis modded TH-900 doesn't sound as good as a stock TH-900? As for the 1770 comparison, I'm lost. But then again, all these impressions are highly personal, but yours sticks out and it's a bit worrisome that that's the one that's in the OP and might give people false hope since the Massdrop isn't over yet.

Well I too agree that the TH-900 is better than the X00, however that the X00 Ebony version is even better than the TH-900. And you can definitely rest assured the Zolkis modded TH-900 is better than the original. @stjj89 may chime in - he's had his pair tried by numerous experienced Head-Fi'ers, all of which have only very positive things to say about it. Although it was a bit of a distant 'by memory' comparison, what I felt was that the Ebony may have had a tad more lushness in the mids and perhaps more organic treble or even a smidget more dynamics. But a lot of the reason for this perceived improvement could have been because of the source amp it was using (Elise amp I tried with the Ebony which many consider as an end game amp, vs. the budget Ember amp that I tried with the TH900). 

But that's a good point, I would also benefit from doing a head-to-head with the modded TH-900, Ebony and 1770 on the same system if I get the chance. But these were just my basic personal impressions which could have been influenced by memory, source system, etc. and a brief one at that, so I encourage others to post more detailed impressions once they get the chance. 

The bottom line though is the Ebony is a solid performer and its' pairing, at least with the Elise amp is really something else. 

Jul 21, 2016 at 12:34 AM Post #25 of 520

I also wants to know as well.. I like bass but not overwhelming amount..
is the PH bass is similar to DENON D7000? or more?

From an extremely brief comparison, all I remember is the first two variants of TH-X00 were too bright for my tastes, meaning the amount of treble overshadowed everything else. I actually don't recall excessive bass, but looks like there's a chance I may be able to at least do a more thorough comparison of the 3-4 TH-X00 prototypes for you guys, using more than one amp. By memory it seems the D 7000 had more bass, but IIRC it seemed like the bass quality was the weak point of the 7000.

Jul 21, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #27 of 520
I would be interested to see if changing the cups around between the different TH-X00s made any difference in sound signature.  From what I've heard, the only difference between the models are the cups, but some independent verification that they're tuned the same would be awesome too.  I've also been wondering if anyone had a chance to compare the differences between the MD and Emu Ebony cups.  Both in terms of size (thickness), shape and the species of Ebony wood used (Someone said the Emu are Macassar, which is quite dense).  

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:17 PM Post #28 of 520
  I would be interested to see if changing the cups around between the different TH-X00s made any difference in sound signature.  From what I've heard, the only difference between the models are the cups, but some independent verification that they're tuned the same would be awesome too.  I've also been wondering if anyone had a chance to compare the differences between the MD and Emu Ebony cups.  Both in terms of size (thickness), shape and the species of Ebony wood used (Someone said the Emu are Macassar, which is quite dense).  

The FR graphs are on the ebony's drop page.

I wonder if Massdrop is worried about the lack of sales thus far.

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:23 PM Post #29 of 520
The FR graphs are on the ebony's drop page.

I wonder if Massdrop is worried about the lack of sales thus far.

Seems like the market is saturated. Plus, those who ordered the PH's are still waiting for their orders and some appear to be upset by the fact that they are unable to cancel or switch to the ebony.

Edit: I was oblivious to the first two drops and quickly ordered an ebony set as soon as they were available.

Jul 21, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #30 of 520
Seems like the market is saturated. Plus, those who ordered the PH's are still waiting for their orders and some appear to be upset by the fact that they are unable to cancel or switch to the ebony.

Edit: I was oblivious to the first two drops and quickly ordered an ebony set as soon as they were available.

Yup. I'm in the PH drop and signed up for the ebony. The drops are spread out enough that it kinda makes sense, or at least I can justify it. I will, however, try to sell the PH locally before I open the box. If I can't, then I'll sell them when the ebony rolls in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back