Massdrop – All About Manufacturers
Mar 21, 2015 at 6:04 AM Post #31 of 56
  1. Who was the manufacturer that introduced you to personal audio?
    Moving more seriously into personal audio, it was Shure - originally with the SE420, then that led to the SE425, SE315, SE535, SRH840, SRH940 and SRH1840
    Funnily enough - I don't have any at the moment - but I think at some stage I may pick up a pair of SE425's again at some stage - still miss them.

2. What are some of your current favorite products in the audio world? What makes them better than the other products you’ve tried?
    As far as full sized headphones go - the Beyerdynamic T1 - vivid, expansive, killer imaging - everything I enjoy in a headphone really.  I've written a few comparisons which go in depth comparing the T1 with various other TOTL dynamics (if you want in depth reasons)
    For portable - my A83 and Fiio X3ii or X5 - immersive, addictive, affordable, comfortable.  Same could also be said of the Altone200 and DUNU Titan.

3. How does music drive or move you in your day-to-day life?
    My personal time revolves around it constantly.  I have it in the car ont he way to work, while I'm working, when I drove home, and most evenings "in my own time".  If I had to make a choice between deafness and blindness, I'm pretty sure I would miss my hearing more.

Thanks for doing this - I'm enjoying reading the responses :)

Mar 22, 2015 at 2:03 PM Post #32 of 56
  • Sennheiser. It started in highschool with hd 202s, then to hd 518s, and now with hd 580s
  • Favorites of mine are, of course, my 580s, asgard 2, a pair of senngrados, and when I'm on the move- trusty ksc 75s. All bought from the classifieds here on Head-fi.
  • Music to me both drives me and stops me: It makes work easier, makes me run faster, and make menial life enjoyable. It stops me from worrying, distracts me from hardships, and stops me in my routines to give me a chance to think and reflect. 

Mar 22, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #33 of 56
1. Audio-Technica. Quite funny actually, my quest for personal audio was not inspired by a desire for better sound quality (it is now!), but for better build quality. I used to have cheap IEMs/earbuds for on the go, but after many cable failures, I decided it was time for a quality purchase and I started looking for an IEM that had a robust cable. A friend of mine had the Shure SE215, which opened my eyes to the fact that IEMs could have detachable cables as well. Then I found Head-Fi and continued my search for a reasonably priced IEM with detachable cables here. In the end it was the reviews about the IM70 that convinced me the most. 

2. I don't own many audio products, though my collection is starting to grow slowly. The IM70 is an IEM that really stands out to me, not only because it's the first quality IEM I owned, but also because it has a pleasant sound signature that is completely inoffensive/has a smooth presentation. While it's not the best I've heard, it doesn't do anything wrong; there is nothing to dislike about it!

3. I listen to music when commuting, I listen to music behind the desk at work and I listen to music when I'm at home. Music works like a filter to the world for me, when there is silence I get distracted, but when there's music I can focus fully on what I'm doing. Another positive aspect about music is that it motivates to get things done. Lastly, it really helps me to clear my mind and that helps me to relax.

Mar 22, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #34 of 56
It's great that you are doing a giveaway for the headphones!

The first manufacturer introducing me to personal audio would be Audio-Technica. I actually placed an order for the V-moda Crossfade LP, but I shortly cancelled it after doing a little more research. During this time, I looked at headphones as a gaming peripheral rather than a way to enjoy music. My music collection was horribly low then, and nonexistent to many other people here in the forum that have as many albums as songs I have. I didn't know what I wanted back then, so all I had was how enthusiastic the reviewer was for a certain product. 

Due to my lack of knowledge, I was easily persuaded by the ATH-M50x due to the hype surrounding it as well as the 200 USD price point. I would've gone for a Beyerdynamic 770 or 880, but was restricted by the higher price point and the need for an amplifier (the 32-ohm versions were priced even more). I still enjoy the M50x today, however.

Ostry was the first manufacturer that introduced me to IEMs in a way that would make me travel further down the IEM path. I had the Xiaomi Pistons before that, but was too impressed at the time. I wore the KC06a many times, even more than my M50x, for the portability and covenience of IEMs. The convenience ended up inside a washing machine, so I moved on to the Fidue A83 and started properly identifying my sound preference and truly appreciating music from there.

1. What are some of your current favorite products in the audio world? What makes them better than the other products you’ve tried?

My collection is rather limited, but I'm planning to expand it.

The favorites headphones would be the Fidue A83 and AKG 7xx. Both appeal to my ears to make the price I pay for them worth it. The A83 was the first product that allowed me to distinguish a headphone/IEM's sound, while the K7xx was an upgrade to the M50x with a more neutral sound signature compared to that headphone. The A83's mids impressed me deeply with how vocals are handled through the IEM.

As for sources, my Schiit Stack boasts great quality for a budget price and my Fiio X1 amazed me for a device under $100 that had a very functional screen and OS as well as a clearer sound than my phone. I currently have a Fiio X5, but have not used it enough to make an overall judgement, but I'm liking my upgrade so far. Even now, I look at the X1 and still think the value goes beyond a hundred US dollars.

1. How does music drive or move you in your day-to-day life?

It's funny that I prefer silence just as much as music. However, silence is for calming down my stresses while music is meant to motivate and move me upwards to a better attitude. I listen to music a lot more than before, using my IEMs during my commutes to my classes, and also using them inside my house when I'm focusing on homework. I actually use my portable rig in my house when I don't feel like working on my desk.

I went into audio to upgrade a peripheral to my self built computer. Now I have spent more on audio than my computer itself, which is very amusing to me. 

I want to thank you, MassDrop, for making this giveaway possible!

Mar 22, 2015 at 9:37 PM Post #35 of 56

Giveaway

Ta-da. Here’s something different for the thread. I want to hear about your experiences so far in the Audio world.

• Who was the manufacturer that introduced you to personal audio?
  • What are some of your current favorite products in the audio world? What makes them better than the other products you’ve tried?
  • How does music drive or move you in your day-to-day life?

Please post all response in the thread. I’ll be picking one at random by Friday, March 27th, to win a pair of the aforementioned headphones (we ordered one too many for marketing purposes, oops), so get in on this while you can! Oh, did I mention we'll ship worldwide? :) 

1) Koss
2) Koss KSC35/75 Portapro/Sportapro : have owned various iterations of this classic headphone family over almost three decades, even before headphones were cool, and despite having higher dollar offerings I am still amazed at the enjoyment I get from these cans, just amazing!
3) don't go a day without having an eargasm several times per.

Mar 23, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #36 of 56
- Audio Technica. Got given a pair of CKM500's by my mum (still have them lying around) and greatly preferred them to the stock ear buds from Apple :p
- Currently using the CKR-9's but really miss my Yamaha EPH-100s. Had a beautiful shell (albeit a bit uncomfortable)and had tight bass with a smooth treble. Why they break :frowning2:
- As a student I use it on the commute to class and in the library. But so great to just relieve stress at the end of the day.

Mar 23, 2015 at 11:25 PM Post #37 of 56

Giveaway

Ta-da. Here’s something different for the thread. I want to hear about your experiences so far in the Audio world.

2. What are some of your current favorite products in the audio world? What makes them better than the other products you’ve tried?
  3. How does music drive or move you in your day-to-day life?

Please post all response in the thread. I’ll be picking one at random by Friday, March 27th, to win a pair of the aforementioned headphones (we ordered one too many for marketing purposes, oops), so get in on this while you can! Oh, did I mention we'll ship worldwide? :) 

Thanks for this opportunity!

Technics. My father gave me a small Technics desktop system. That system ignited my interest in music and audio.

1. What are some of your current favorite products in the audio world? What makes them better than the other products you’ve tried?

Audio-Technica head/earphones ATH-MSR7, ATH-IM50, ATH-IM70, and HA22Tube headphone amplifier. Beyerdynamic headphones T1 and DT880. Creative Sound Blaster X7. DUNU IEM DN-1000 and DN-2000. Fiio headphone amplifier E12DIY. Hifiman headphone HE5-LE. iBasso DX90. ifi micro iDSD & iCAN. Philips headphone Fidelio X1. Shure headphones SRH-1540 & SRH-840. Yulong DAC+Amp DA8. etc.

They are better because they sound good!

Food for the soul, brings enjoyment in life.

Mar 24, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #38 of 56
Who was the manufacturer that introduced you to personal audio?
- Etymotic Research...the accuracy got me hooked and wanting to hear every tiny detail in my favorite songs.

What are some of your current favorite products in the audio world? What makes them better than the other products you’ve tried?
- Etymotic ER-4S, MrSpeakers Alpha Prime, Woo Audio WA7d, Centrance HiFi-M8, iPod Classic. These help me to just enjoy the heck out of the music I listen to, and hopefully help keep me from always wanting the latest and greatest gear (though more is always fun).

How does music drive or move you in your day-to-day life?
- It gets me going, keeps me going and gives me a retreat to always look forward to.

Mar 25, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #39 of 56
1) The manufacturer that got me into audio was definitely Sony. My friend bought a pair of XB500s which not only got me thinking that I could actually purchase a pair of headphones that didn't come with an iPod/MP3 player but also got me seriously into music, because if I invested into a pair of headphones I gotta be into music first right?

2) I love my Beyerdynamic DT990 Pros. While I have sampled many different IEMs and portables, the Beyers are my bread and butter. I love the natural sound, the accented yet tight and impactful bass, the sizzling highs and most of all the airiness, great for CS:GO as well as music, the soundstage is simply captivating.

I also love my JVC FX800 IEMs, not the best isolation so not really good for on the go use but the wood construction is so very classy, and the general design is what wins me over, wood with metal accents and a nice light cable. Sounds good too.

3) Like for most people music is what's responsible for getting me through my daily commute, as well as blocking out annoying classmates in school, giving me a backdrop to work to at home, and most of all to help me relax and chill out. It pretty much helps me work, rest and play.

Mar 25, 2015 at 8:34 PM Post #40 of 56

Giveaway

• Who was the manufacturer that introduced you to personal audio?
  • What are some of your current favorite products in the audio world? What makes them better than the other products you’ve tried?
  • How does music drive or move you in your day-to-day life?

No such manufacturer in those days. I'm really old. I was always an audiophile when I was young. No product stood out. I was born in 1953. I went through a lot of Samsui, Macintosh, HK, and Technics amps when I was young.

I was into tube headphone amps with a good dac. Always was looking for the ultimate. I finally figured it out. There is no ultimate!!!

Music to me is my gateway to internal peace. It may sound hokey, but when I'm stressed I just put on Norah and I feel better.
My daughter has a jazz performance degree (double bass)and is a high school music teacher, and I remember when she was 3 years old dancing with me every night when I
came home from work I. HAD TO PUT THE STEREO ON.

Mar 25, 2015 at 11:01 PM Post #41 of 56
The manufacturer that got me into personal audio was Fiio. I had a Samsung S3 and a colleague suggested that I try an external DAC/Amp so I researched what devices would work with it and settled on a Fiio E7. Wow - what a difference. Before that I always thought that hi-fi was too expensive for me to get involved in because it was, back in the 70's when I first would have been interested. And now the poor E7 has been completely superseded.

My current favourites are my Fiio X3, and my Sennheiser HD600s, closely followed by my Dunu Titans, Epiphany O2 amp/ODAC and my AKG K702s. I also have a soft spot for a fred_fred hybrid tube amp which makes the AKGs a *lot* of fun to listen to. Funnily enough I have some more expensive amps and DACs than these, but these are the ones I keep coming back to.

I'm a bit of an insomiac (it's 3am here, and I'm going to work at 6, but I'm typing this listening to my HD600s). Music keeps me company and sane when I'm the only one awake. It also anaesthetises me to the horrors of the daily commute. Hence the tilt toward small and/or mobile systems with head/earphones for use in the dead of night, or on the train.

Mar 26, 2015 at 2:34 AM Post #42 of 56
First off, thanks for the fantastic giveway!

- The first manufacturer that introduced me to the world of personal audio would be Sony.
Yes, vintage Sony walkman CD players coupled with Xtra Bass earphones. During those days, I thought only Sony produced the very best audio products and no other manufacturer can beat them.

- My current favorites are the TTpod T1-E which I actually ordered them from Massdrop! Shoutout to the team!
I currently own the Vsonic VSD3S, Vsonic GR07 CE, Shure SE-215 and Xiaomi Piston 2.0. To me, the T1E is my current favorites because it is the only colder sounding IEM compared to the ones I have. Also, I listen to a huge variety of genres in music, and I have been listening to a lot of classical music lately. So the T1E fits the bill for now, before I move on to EDM or something else!

-  Being immersed by music is to be in another world. I know countless of people have said the same thing. But I just want to reemphasize; 
Listening to music with my earphones on, is like entering a new dimension, to escape reality and just appreciate the works of artists and manufacturers around the world.
Thus, this becomes the highlight of any day whenever I am free to put my earphones on.

Mar 26, 2015 at 7:34 AM Post #43 of 56
that would be apple, father bought ipod video during his trip to china, used it a few years until the batteries leaking

I just recently receive my Noble K10 and I still can't decide if this is better than my 1plus2 if fit is not a concern.

To drown in music - either for pure enjoyment in daily life or a way to relieve myself from accumulated stress

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #44 of 56
Audio-Technica. I've heard some Grados and Creative Labs headphones before, but what got me into the hobby is the M50.

Hard question… the headphone that I most enjoy has to be the HE500. It sounds good with most genres I listen to. I still use the iPod and iTouch as DAPs. I just find their aesthetic to be very modern and clean. Plus, Apple has one of the best, if not the best, user friendly interface I have ever experienced.

Music helps me reflect upon my life. It helps motivate me to pursue my passion. It is therapeutic and peaceful. It inspires. It formulates. It's life. 

Mar 26, 2015 at 11:54 PM Post #45 of 56

That has to be Sony.  I can remember when I was 10 years old and my parents bought me my first Sony Walkman (the cassette kind, CD's were still over the horizon!).  I took that thing everywhere with me.

Schiit Audio is definitely at the top.  I love that I can buy American made audio products for around $100, you can't beat that!  And they have amazing customer service.
The HiFiMeDIY stuff is great, I'm listening to their USB Sabre DAC as I type this.  Best $50 I ever spent!
My AKG K550's are amazingly comfy and neutral, just what I need when I'm at my work desk all day.  I have those hooked up to my Schiit Magni/Modi combo and love it! 

Music just keeps me going.  I listen to music all the time.  If I'm alone and nobody's around then I have something playing.  It gets me through the day, it helps me unwind when I get home from work, it helps me reflect.  Sometimes the emotional aspect is so crazy...I remember recently when I hooked up my newly purchased NHT Super One 2.1's to compliment my Sub One and listened to The Whitest Boy Alive.  It actually gave me shivers, and almost brought a tear to my eye.  And this is considered budget gear in most people's eyes!  I guess it shows that you don't need expensive equipment to have an emotional connection with music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back