Mass Drop: Dark Voice 336SE - sale ends in two days.
Apr 5, 2015 at 1:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Amish

500+ Head-Fier
I did a quick search and didn't see this posted anywhere. Thought I'd mention it.

Mass Drop has the DV336SE at the moment for $219.99 + $14.99 shipping. (Normal price is $299.99)

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/dark-voice-366se

I was tempted for a few minutes but this isn't really what I'm looking for personally.

(pictures taken from web)

Apr 5, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #2 of 2
Yeah, well ... when they lied in that marketing description, it kind of put a damper on the interest.  Statements like this are totally wrong:
Output Transformer-Less (OTL) headphone amps cut out a key part of conventional amplifier design to eliminate a major cause of audible distortion. Without the Output Transformer, you get clearer sound, powered tubes, and overall better amplification.

We talked about it over here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/761417/headphone-amp-under-300:

What they're not telling you is that any OTL tube amplifier will need output coupling capacitors.  These must be electrolytic capacitors, because smaller uf values will cut out significant portions of the bass response.  This scenario is even worse with low impedance headphones.  If the capacitors are sized with high enough ratings to prevent bass cutoff, "fog" is still the result.  The electrolytic capacitor distortion is also much more objectionable to the ear than transformer distortion.  Reasonable quality output transformers will sound much more detailed and transparent than any electrolytic capacitor coupling circuit.  A transformer is more expensive than an electrolytic capacitor, however.  Yet Hammond and Edcor make some that are only $10-$20 each and are much more transparent than electrolytic coupling capacitors.

I have nothing against DarkVoice.  It's just that this was way out of bounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back