Maryland Meet at Hirsch's -- Impressions
Jun 5, 2004 at 8:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 100

strohmie

Ask him if he ever wants to see another Quail powercord again.
Running in and then running back out the door, so I'll start us off with some pictures.

1085303144428_01.JPG

1088561954306_02.JPG

1085090168045_03.JPG

1087813943234_04.JPG

1088406969180_05.JPG

1086881609655_06.JPG

1084817246422_07.JPG

1088107372356_08.JPG

1086616139793_09.JPG

1086653124346_10.JPG

1087664975741_11.JPG

1086231745524_12.JPG

1085912222040_13.JPG

Jun 5, 2004 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 100
Lots of really great gear!! Whats the headamp tube amp for the Stax phones? Looks like its sitting on top of a KGSS maybe? Is that the balanced Gilmore to the left in the same picture?

Jun 5, 2004 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 100
ah man, great stuff! cant wait for more pics
biggrin.gif

I still love the look of those singlepower amps...esp that wood and chrome PPX3. and the KGSS and KG-tube amp...drool.

thanks for the eye-candy strohmie!!

Jun 5, 2004 at 9:47 PM Post #5 of 100
Are those Valvo tubes in the wood/chrome PPX3?

They look too short to be 6CG7's?

Jun 5, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #7 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by tom hankins
Lots of really great gear!! Whats the headamp tube amp for the Stax phones? Looks like its sitting on top of a KGSS maybe? Is that the balanced Gilmore to the left in the same picture?

Thats the Headamp Blue Hawaii on top of a headamp Kgss next to the Gilmore balanced amp.
Boy the gear at these meets get better and better,waiting on some impressions.Great pics.

Jun 5, 2004 at 11:40 PM Post #10 of 100
Just got back myself -- this was my first meet, and it was a heckuva good time. Hirsch, thrice, pirate, ServingInEcuador, and everyone else whose name I unfortunately failed to keep track of, it was great to meet you all.

Since I'm new at this stuff and both my ears and vocabulary are as yet untrained, my impressions are as follows:

Ooooh. Aaaah. Whoah. Holy... WOW! (That last would be Hirsch's R10 out of the Singlepower Supra).

I had a hunch before the meet that I might have both a CD3K and a PPX3 in my future, and it looks like I was right. The PPX3's (even the one with stock Ei tubes) sounded great with everything I plugged into it, and it seemed to tame the CD3K's highs (my one worry) beautifully.

Rob N, from looking up close at Hirsch's chrome-and-wood PPX3, those are "Mazda Valve" tubes, but I couldn't tell you any more details than that.

Anyway, thanks to Hirsch and everyone else who was there for making it possible. I'll look forward to the next one.

Jun 5, 2004 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 100
I just got back too. I'll like to thanks Thrice for picking me up and dropping off at the metro station. Also, a big thank you to Hirsch for hosting the meet.

Hey! That's my HR-2, VDA-1 DAC and Sony pcdp in the picture. Whoo-hoo, my claim to a piece of Head-Fi fame!
icon10.gif

My favorite phones at the meet was the Senn Baby Orpheus. I wish Sennheiser is still producing em.

Jun 6, 2004 at 2:17 AM Post #13 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by bozebuttons
Thats the Headamp Blue Hawaii on top of a headamp Kgss next to the Gilmore balanced amp.
Boy the gear at these meets get better and better,waiting on some impressions.Great pics.

Who's the proud owner of the Gilmore Balanced? What balanced phones did you have there?

Jun 6, 2004 at 2:29 AM Post #14 of 100
What can you say - 26 people - all bringing their own stuff for everyone to ooh and aah over. No one had a problem letting someone try their gear, no matter how much (or little) it costs. Here are my impressions:

1. The number of young people who are serious about this hobby. Being probably the oldest persons there, it was extremely gratifying to see this.

2. No one looked down their nose at any of the equipment (except Dave who thinks my Bose 901 home speakers need replacing).

3. No one knows everything. If you like (or dislike) a can, there are so many ways to change the sound. Listen to people who know what they are talking about but let your ears make the decision on what is best for you.

4. My personal favorites cans - Stax SRM-3030 system, Senn 650 w/Zu Mobius cables, Stax Omega 2s, Sony CD-3000 (would send to Zanadu777 for woodie and cables).

5. Will probably end up with the SinglePower PPX-3 (listened to three at the meet) or its bigger brother the MPX-3.

6. If I had the money, I would probably own 3 or 4 complete systems to listen to the various types of music in my collection.

Remember, all of this is coming from someone who hasn't had a serious relationship with a set of headphones in many years.

My thanks to Hirsch for hosting the meet. Not everyone would open up their home to a bunch of strangers and allow them to trapse all over and play with their stuff. It was my second time meeting Hirsch and his knowledge and willingness to share still impresses!

orphsmile.gif

Jun 6, 2004 at 2:51 AM Post #15 of 100
While I mostly went to the meet to mingle with all the great folks I knew only online, I did have a few impressions of the neet:

1. Hirsch's place was never meant for 26+ people!
tongue.gif
Thanks God it was nice and cool out, but even so all that gear running at the same time sure raised the temperature a bit. The Weebl is a real space heater, and standing near it reminded you of this every time.

2. As we've said over and over again, this site has a rather large collection of the coolest people around. My dad came with me, and while he has never posted once here he felt right at home. Many of you spoke with him throughout the day, and I greatly appreciate your hospitality shown to a complete stranger.

3. The SinglePower line of amps sound very good. I only heard two PPX3s and Hirsch's Supra, but it was very enjoyable. I wish I had more time with them, but that will have to wait for another day.

4. I finally got to hear the Senn HE60, and while it was very enjoyable I still prefer the SR404 to it. Their presentations are different enough to make them appeal to different people.

5. The PS-1s are the pinnalce of the Grado line. While still not that comfortable they win the sound test hands down over any other Grado I've ever heard. Using the Creek CD53 and the Supra these things sounded very good. They even sounded great through Canman's PPX3 with the upgraded caps and RCA cleartops using my dad's APLHi-Fi modded Pioneer 563. Bass was simply incredible, but not out of balance with the rest of the music.

I'll post more later. It was a long meet and a total blast!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back