Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Oct 26, 2012 at 5:35 PM Post #2 of 6,761
Curious. Looks like everyone is starting to pay attention to the headphone market. Looking forward to hearing them with a stat being driven from a hp out.

OK, it's a dynamic driver.

Oct 27, 2012 at 6:22 AM Post #3 of 6,761
Was actually just thinking to myself the other day "y'know - I wonder if MartinLogan has ever made, or will ever make, headphones?" - and here we are. Shame they aren't...you know...stats though. This "everyone has a $299.95 headphone" thing is getting a little bit bland. They certainly look cool though, sort of like B&W P5 meets Yamaha HPH-200.

A quick look on Amazon indicates that the IEM is already available for purchase, but the on-ear headphone does not appear.

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #5 of 6,761
Quote:
 This "everyone has a $299.95 headphone" thing is getting a little bit bland.

Yeah, get the Chinese warehouse to slap together a couple of their drivers in a modified crap moulded-plastic housing, throw on another big speaker company name, and voila, another $300 can 
rolleyes.gif

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:23 AM Post #6 of 6,761
They just arrived and were putting these up in Best Buy yesterday. Looked nice, clamp was above average, tighter than the B&W P5. Sound wise it's hard to tell. You can play your own music through the display model, but only through their amp. I believe the way they have the P5 wired it's straight to your device. Using my iPhone as a source the ML wasn't as clear or dynamic as the P5, the ESW9A, or the AKG K550. My crude, subjective evaluation/opinion in the store is they sounded pretty close to the B&W P3. As a comparison the ESW9A sounded better through the store amp. I'll pass. If I were looking at this price range the P5 or ESW9 would the clear winners unless hooking straight to your device makes a big difference.

Nov 6, 2012 at 6:56 AM Post #7 of 6,761
They just arrived and were putting these up in Best Buy yesterday. Looked nice, clamp was above average, tighter than the B&W P5. Sound wise it's hard to tell. You can play your own music through the display model, but only through their amp. I believe the way they have the P5 wired it's straight to your device. Using my iPhone as a source the ML wasn't as clear or dynamic as the P5, the ESW9A, or the AKG K550. My crude, subjective evaluation/opinion in the store is they sounded pretty close to the B&W P3. As a comparison the ESW9A sounded better through the store amp. I'll pass. If I were looking at this price range the P5 or ESW9 would the clear winners unless hooking straight to your device makes a big difference.

Pity. Then again, the ESW9 are *really* good, and the P5 aren't far behind (and I would say their redemption is that they offer way more isolation, can really do mobile use, and come with removable cables).

Nov 6, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #8 of 6,761
Quote:

Personally, I feel the P3's have a muddy mid-range, where the Mikros 90 was more defined and crisp.  The P3's had more bass, but the Mikros sounded more natural.  The B&W display also has its' own amp and digital music player.  They are pretty similar in this regard.   

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #9 of 6,761
I just bought a pair of these.  Was not able to demo them first at Best Buy but thought I would return them if I didn't like them.  I am keeping them though.  Amping with a RSA Predator they are dead silent and striking with transients.  Bass is not as full and warm as ESW9's which I also have, but still a well balanced and pleasing presentation.  The isolation is first rate too, and they are comfortable and compact.  Plan to use them as my sole travel headphone.  

Dec 15, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #12 of 6,761
I just came across them while looking for my next speakers. Interesting...let's keep this thread going and hopefully get somebody with more disposable income than I to do a full write-up.

Jan 6, 2013 at 11:08 AM Post #13 of 6,761
I had high hopes for the Mikros 90 as I am a huge fan of Martin Logan's electrostatic speakers and, in recent years, electrostatic/dynamic hybrids.  Unfortunately, headphones are a different beast and head-to-head compared to the B&W P5, the Mikros 90 doesn't cut it, particularly with rolled-off highs.  IMO, if a $300 headphone has anemic bass, it at least needs to get the mids and highs right.  I think the Logitech UE4000 for $100, Skullcandy Aviator for $150 or the Monster DNA for $200 are better sounding headphones.  Also, for the same $300 the B&W P5, PSB M4U1 or V-Moda M-100 are far superior.

Jan 6, 2013 at 2:58 PM Post #15 of 6,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigster75 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I think the Logitech UE4000 for $100, Skullcandy Aviator for $150 or the Monster DNA for $200 are better sounding headphones.  Also, for the same $300 the B&W P5, PSB M4U1 or V-Moda M-100 are far superior.

If you think the DNA sound better, the Mikros 90 is definitely not for me. I thought the DNA sounded no better honestly than a $50 headphone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back