Martin Logan Mikros 90 On-Ear Headphones
Oct 15, 2014 at 10:56 PM Post #5,956 of 6,768
https://soundcloud.com/onbeing/yo-yo-ma-music-happens-between-the-notes

was listening to this interesting interview...

Oct 16, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #5,957 of 6,768
Crazy days. I received my second pair of Mikros yesterday. What you're saying about sample-to-sample variation is spot on.

First pair has a nice, warm, tight, controlled sound. Smooth. Bass is balanced, but I wish there was just a bit more. The one thing that didn't seem fully right is that the soundstage seems small. Like everything is a miniature, or diorama, rather than a realistic representation of space.

When I put on the second pair, wow, noticeably bigger bass foundation, and lots of air and space between the sounds. This sound was fairly thrilling, while the first pair comparatively staid.

If anything about the second pair, the treble was slightly ragged, but this was just out of the box. So I expect that to settle in.

The general tonal character of both was similar, but they had these big differences.

In truth, the first pair is not fully burned in yet, either. So I don't know if the differences will converge. I doubt that either pair could change that much, though.

So if both these phone work out their rough edges and do the normal settling in, smoothing out, and opening up, but still retain their differences, I'd say I'd be more than satisfied with the first pair and happy with the second.

Oct 17, 2014 at 7:27 AM Post #5,958 of 6,768
  I have the hd25 pads also and from what i can see they wont fit over the stock pads. From what i remember reading about the pad mod i think they modded the stock pads and then put the hd25 pads over them.

Thank you, chailee80!
I wished I had read that before and saved myself $9!!!
And if what you say about loss of bass is true, it is even more reason for me not to fiddle with the HD 25 pads.

Oct 17, 2014 at 7:46 AM Post #5,959 of 6,768
Thank you, chailee80!
I wished I had read that before and saved myself $9!!!
And if what you say about loss of bass is true, it is even more reason for me not to fiddle with the HD 25 pads.

The loss of bass is only when combining both the hd25 and pc310 pads. Using just the hd25 pads gives good bass and treble but changes the mids in a way that I don't like.

Oct 17, 2014 at 10:44 AM Post #5,960 of 6,768
Chailee, thanks for your efforts. I appreciate you sharing your mods. b(^_^)d

Oct 17, 2014 at 1:49 PM Post #5,961 of 6,768
I have the hd25 pads also and from what i can see they wont fit over the stock pads. From what i remember reading about the pad mod i think they modded the stock pads and then put the hd25 pads over them.

No only the felt was used not the old pads..

The loss of bass is only when combining both the hd25 and pc310 pads. Using just the hd25 pads gives good bass and treble but changes the mids in a way that I don't like.

Of course you are spot on about the pads changing the tonality of the mids...

This is why I introduced my port mod to "control the hole"...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633514/martin-logan-mikros-90-on-ear-headphones/5840_20#post_10855187

Oct 17, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #5,962 of 6,768
No only the felt was used not the old pads..
Of course you are spot on about the pads changing the tonality of the mids...

This is why I introduced my port mod to "control the hole"...

http://www.head-fi.org/t/633514/martin-logan-mikros-90-on-ear-headphones/5840_20#post_10855187

Maxx, how about if you keep the stock pads (they're not uncomfortable to me), would you recommend the same internal mods?

Oct 17, 2014 at 4:17 PM Post #5,963 of 6,768
Hello everyone.
It is me again..
The dude who was the first to have the honor,
to discover and enter the Mikros90 sacred hole....

Yes I broke the her "felt" and she will never be the same.
But thru my use and abuse,
I turned her into the mature refined can she really is.
To make long story short, it's time to "control the hole"..
smily_headphones1.gif

Here are the new design goal achievements:

1- larger/better pad fit replacement.
2- "tuned port" control over the mids
3- dampening control over the bass
4- increase perceptual sound stage
5- absorption of any high frequency standing waves on center of driver surface .
6 - full open hole ventilate the magnet structure.
7- Acoustic coupled ported design reduces turbulence, inner driver chamber pressure & distortion.
8- less typical "spherical" wavefront for more correct sound wave pattern to ear and thus better sound imaging.

smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Now for details:
The small size of driver is already a plus for better control, details and less driver breakup,
But the poor pad shape and cup angle design limits the types of ears which can hear the quality potential so we have to totally come with a new approach. .

First step is abolishment of stock pads..
I have tried a few even expensive Audio Technica leather pads, but for the Mikros90, the Sennheiser hd25 pads fit best .

This alone is only part of solution(for fit) and subsequent sonic modification solutions need to be done, because if anyone tried the Senn or any pads alone, the sound, is off because the Mikros90 relies on the stock pad's inner foam to preserve it's sound...

The approach here is not in just using existing material solutions,
The actual objective is to "harness" and modify the sound to our liking, from within.

To do so we must alter how the driver "sees" the "hole"...
We must "acoustically couple" the inside and outside wall of that hole ...

Think of how a trumpet is designed to interact with an open space. .
Now take out it's mouthpiece and try blowing again and notice how much less you can affect or interact with the outside.
Same applies with horn loaded speakers and "tuned port" speaker enclosures.
They help "couple" the two sides..

This is similar to how we will need to adress this sacred hole(!)..
We will make what amounts to the driver being "coupled" to the huge space it "sees" on other side of the hole...

Ok enough techno babble.
Time for mod..

Open the Mikros90...

Use two of the dense felt discs used normally for placing on furniture feet.
Use two per driver...
*pic*

Make a hole in center of them appropriately and slightly larger than the hole.
Cut the shape them smaller into a "donut" shape.
Attach one on top other, then attach them over/and around the sacred hole..
*pic*

Notice and realize that the left driver will need to be cut on a corner where the internal plug resides but don't worry the point is to have a "port" over the hole. .
*pic*

Circuit board area to be notched out in felt disc..

Ok
Now onto the large space in cup..
Place a thin strip of modeling clay or blue-tak along the upper edge of cup for damping any cup resonance. .
I used black modeling clay..
*pic*

Place a circular flat strip of corkdboard (found in most art stores)
Cork is one of most effective sound absorption materials.
The purpose here is not to modify the sound, only to absorb any reflecting sonic back waves.
Choice of any other material besides cork, here in the bottom of cup, (to absorb back waves) is ok.
*pic*

The modification of sonic tonality and signature will now commence,
by using the addition of dense felt material and specifically, "the amount" of felt material used to fill in the rest of the empty space...
More=brighter
Less= darker

So now mainly, it is actually what is filled now, in the empty space, that will change the tonality...
Not any "esoteric" materials of leather, etc, like in the past.
*pic*

For this I used my own very special material. ..
But you can use ANY dense cottony wool like material. .
My material happened to be much more dense than normal cotton and closer to the consistency of wool..
As it was My own Dogs matted hair!!!
Look (!)
*pic*

Haha no I am not insane,
It just coincidentally had the consistency I NEEDED so I used it..
Plus it was a relief to my dog for summer lol.

So We need dense damping in order to bring out the mids and upper mids to sound balanced with bass& trebles. ..

This is where each modder can adjust to his/her liking,
For a perfect solution to their preference!

Also making the felt Hole smaller is a solution for using less dense materials,
but I wanted to have more control of the sound..
Now carefully close up without breaking any wires while trying to get the screws in holes!

Still, we don't stop here.. (!)
Next onto soundstage!

FOR soundstage, we employ a solution similar to German company which shall not be named & that covers half it's driver.

This solution also smoothes the response as well as does what I stated in numbers 4,5&8 posted earlier top of this post...

Ok For this step we will need a bandage(!) And black electrical tape or colored painters tape (cosmetic covering).

Place the white fabric part of the bandage over half the speaker at this angle:
*pic*

Then cut the excess on each side which will be placed over center here:
*pic*

Now use black or colored painters tape to cover the bandaid. .
*pic*

Now place the nice black or more expensive blue Sennheiser HD25 pads on!
*pic*

There you have it my friends. ..
The Mikros90 Ultra mod.
smily_headphones1.gif

*Pic*

I have settled on this mod for quite some time to be sure it's good enough.
Pad replacement also stands up well to daily abuse.
This is my most used can for portable use now..

EDIT! EDIT! EDIT! ::
DUE to the fact that the "soundtage" part of mod decreased the upper mids to trebles volume level , I decided to remove that untill I find a more suitable material. Probably a adhesive foam but regardless I think the sound is very dynamic and large already because of the larger pads/tuned port combo..

Jeez Maxx134, I don't know how I missed that post of yours! Epic I say! Thanks for doing that man. Oh, and cute doggie!

Oct 23, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #5,964 of 6,768
A/B/C-ed the Lors MikrosHypedBass modded version of the Mikros 90 vs. the Oppo PM-1 w/alternate lambskin earpads (developed with/tuned for the PM-2) vs. the AKG K812.
Source/amp were my home system.
Music: John Williams conducts John Williams/The Skywalker Symphony Orchestra: The Star Wars Trilogy_SONY 

The Oppo PM-1 were the clear winners in terms of sheer upper-mid and treble resolution/transparency of an exceptionally fine and nuanced quality.
The AKG K812 were the clear winners in terms of 3-dimensionality and holistic sense of space.
Ultimately, though, the Mikros 90 stayed on my ears the longest.  To me the Martin Logans simply capture the true "Gestalt" of the listening experience in terms of overall balance--tonally, dynamically, harmonically and timbrally--and provide a vivid, candid--and eminently musically satisfying--immersion into the sonic elements as an integrated and supercessional whole.

Oct 23, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #5,966 of 6,768
when i auditioned cans in the shops...
the urge is always there, to pull out the Mikros for the salesmen to listen to it...
and watch their reactions. 

Oct 23, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #5,967 of 6,768
Oct 23, 2014 at 9:31 PM Post #5,968 of 6,768
  A/B/C-ed the Lors MikrosHypedBass modded version of the Mikros 90 vs. the Oppo PM-1 w/alternate lambskin earpads (developed with/tuned for the PM-2) vs. the AKG K812.
Source/amp were my home system.
Music: John Williams conducts John Williams/The Skywalker Symphony Orchestra: The Star Wars Trilogy_SONY 

The Oppo PM-1 were the clear winners in terms of sheer upper-mid and treble resolution/transparency of an exceptionally fine and nuanced quality.
The AKG K812 were the clear winners in terms of 3-dimensionality and holistic sense of space.
Ultimately, though, the Mikros 90 stayed on my ears the longest.  To me the Martin Logans simply capture the true "Gestalt" of the listening experience in terms of overall balance--tonally, dynamically, harmonically and timbrally--and provide a vivid, candid--and eminently musically satisfying--immersion into the sonic elements as an integrated and supercessional whole.

Wow! That sentence should probably go into the head-fi hall of fame!
beerchug.gif

Oct 23, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #5,970 of 6,768
  OH!  How I STILL WISH that Martin Logan would develop their FLAGSHIP FULLSIZE T.O.T.L. Mikros 900(?)!!!

Scott Gribble, are you still there?

Scott?

Earth to Scott . . .
Earth to Scott . . .
Over . . . 

Mikros 900? No, you must mean...

... Mikros 9,000,000!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back