Martin Customs Thread
Mar 26, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #181 of 246
I know Marty! It was one helluva effort that's for sure! Much thanks to you!

I linked up that post to your blog, hopefully you'll be a busy man for a long time to come!

Those look bloody sweet!! I'm assuming V4 magnums with CNC machined aluminum? How much do they weigh?

If you engraved a big X on each side, it wouldn't look out of place in an X-men movie!!

Mar 27, 2012 at 5:11 AM Post #182 of 246
On that note, my pair of FWJ is falling apart already and I haven't even used it that much, kind of disappointing.  Drivers falling out and the pins holding the right cup is falling out...

Mar 27, 2012 at 10:11 PM Post #186 of 246

On that note, my pair of FWJ is falling apart already and I haven't even used it that much, kind of disappointing.  Drivers falling out and the pins holding the right cup is falling out...

Sorry to hear that.  Yes, the true FWJ (the wood/metal gimbals built from scratch) require occasional maintenance.  If the driver is starting to get loose, there are several ways to handle it.  You can purchase a sheet of peel away foam from your local craft store and cut another strip and wrap it around the driver again, which may make them snug again with the fresh foam.  Otherwise you'd simply glue it into place with a few hot glue dots (my recommended method as it allows for you to peel the glue dots away if you need to access the driver) or use some form of more permanent glue.  

Same with the gimbal set screws.  Those particular set screws are a size that didn't match up any of the drill bits I had, so each hole required some grinding with a burr set.  It was tough to get them just right.  Perhaps that hole was alittle large.  I didn't glue them in place because I wanted to make sure the user is able to remove them if they needed.  If you want to make it permanent, I would very carefully remove the set screw and put a dab or two of super glue into the hole and then screw it back in.  However, it's difficult to line everything back up.  You could also try applying some clear super glue glue to the outer surface of the screw between the head and the wood to hold into place which is less invasive.  

Obviously with the new aluminum rodblocks/gimbals there is no maintenance needed except for maybe shining them up alittle.  

But again, sorry about that Grev, I'm sure that it's disappointing.  

Email me if you have any other questions.  This is the first I've heard of your issue.  

Sep 5, 2012 at 11:22 AM Post #189 of 246
Everytime I pick up my cocobolo 325i's, without fail, I admire how beautiful they are..

Still loving them, Martin.

Sep 5, 2012 at 1:26 PM Post #190 of 246
Dec 25, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #192 of 246
Hey All,

I am commisioning Martin to build me a pair of magnums from the ground up & have a few questions:

I want to have detachable cables for the headphones & was wondering if i should go with XLR or 1/8". Are there any known difference in sound quality between the 2?

I've been seeing that the Magnum v5 is out but have not seen any reviews on them yet. Can anyone tell me if there are definite improvements to the v4?

I'm waiting for Martin to start on my headphones since I am in cue so this will help before he contacts me.

Appreciated.

Feb 9, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #193 of 246
Sent my DT880's off to him to get B&W Ebony cups!

Mar 14, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #194 of 246
Here are my wood cups so far
biggrin.gif
, thanks to MCA who sent me a in the making picture!

May 14, 2013 at 11:40 PM Post #195 of 246
I just "pushed the Paypal button" on a set of scratch built V5 Magnum Martin headphones in rosewood or cocobolo. This is my first set of custom headphones.

They are the end of an audio chain that starts with a Tecsun RP2100 am/fm/sw tuner plus passively coupled tuned antenna, running into a Little Dot MK III that has been re-tubed with Soviet mil-spec tubes. I have a medical grade 500 watt power conditioner between the dedicated GFCI wall outlet and the amp.

When listening to cd/vcd/dvd I use a VX portable dvd/vcd player. For listening to tv programs, I feed the amp from a Xitel Soundsurround box, as this improves the sound stage.

I'll post images of the whole setup after the cans arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back