Mark Levinson № 5909 headphone
Nov 10, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #556 of 967
I have the Cayin RU6. Paired to the 5909 in passive mode, it sounds good. The character of the RU6 is preserved. I don’t know if you absolutely need to EQ the 5909 in passive mode. They sound very good as is paired to something like the RU6. Its not at all like the Sony or Bose that are absolute crap in passive mode.

To be honest, a lower distortion source (like the Mojo 2) sounds great with the 5909. With the onboard DSP EQ, you can drop the 20kHz treble down a notch if you feel the 5909 a little hot.
Thanks for the info. Do they get a good amount of volume with the RU6? My current dongles are barely louder than using Bluetooth, and in the end the sound over Bluetooth seems fuller if less detailed than with those dongles.

The Mojo 2 is very tempting... though a bit pricey and not as convenient.

Nov 10, 2022 at 9:05 PM Post #557 of 967
Thanks for the info. Do they get a good amount of volume with the RU6? My current dongles are barely louder than using Bluetooth, and in the end the sound over Bluetooth seems fuller if less detailed than with those dongles.

The Mojo 2 is very tempting... though a bit pricey and not as convenient.
Loud enough for me. I’m usually in the 70-80 range.
I’ve only had volume issues using 5909 as usb c headphone. 5909 Sensitivity is 97db, impedance is 32 ohms. So decently efficient.

If you are using AAC, the codec does apply some algorithm to enhance frequencies. Otherwise, the combination of the onboard amplifier and DSP could be the difference. The 5909 do scale a bit with power and source quality.

The biggest issue with RU6 is you get the initial “wow factor“, but notice some funkiness with some music over time. The 5909 are resolving enough the pick this up.

Nov 11, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #558 of 967
I use them from time to time with my Hiby R6 via 3.5mm and they sound pretty darn good (although I usually tend to go with my Monarch MkII most of the time with my DAP)

Nov 15, 2022 at 1:48 PM Post #559 of 967
Do these get comfier or less comfier over time? This might sound silly but when I first recieved the 5909s and tried them on, they were very very comfortable, that was 2-3 weeks ago. I've been using them since on and off, for 1 or 2 hours and it feels like they're getting less comfy. I'm always subconsciously trying to readjust the earcups position around my ears or trying to fiddle with the headband length.

Any suggestions on how to to find a good fit on head with these. Lol if that makes sense

Nov 15, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #560 of 967
Do these get comfier or less comfier over time? This might sound silly but when I first recieved the 5909s and tried them on, they were very very comfortable, that was 2-3 weeks ago. I've been using them since on and off, for 1 or 2 hours and it feels like they're getting less comfy. I'm always subconsciously trying to readjust the earcups position around my ears or trying to fiddle with the headband length.

Any suggestions on how to to find a good fit on head with these. Lol if that makes sense
Hey! I don't think I've had mine long enough to say, but I have a very small head (I don't slide the headband up at all for the most part lol), but once I twist the headband a bit, they fit really well for me. I think it's because they don't really clamp so they may end up sliding a bit depending on how you turn your head.

Nov 15, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #561 of 967

I haven't noticed a change in comfort personally just that the on-off sensor works better now that the pads have broken in

I initially chalked it up to the update but it seems like that is probably not the case

Nov 15, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #562 of 967
Hey! I don't think I've had mine long enough to say, but I have a very small head (I don't slide the headband up at all for the most part lol), but once I twist the headband a bit, they fit really well for me. I think it's because they don't really clamp so they may end up sliding a bit depending on how you turn your head.
I might have an average head size (lol). Does your headband rest more towards the front on your head or towards the back. I should just keep using them until the pads break in

Nov 20, 2022 at 4:57 AM Post #564 of 967
HEy everyone
looking forward to buying these as my first wireless ancs in the next year, a few questions though:
1. So you can use these with a laptop directly with usbc to the headphones so playing and charging at the same time? I am asking because nowhere else this dac mode is mentioned...
2. If you use it with a 3.5mm cable directly from a source or an amp is the headphone turned on or off, the circuitry I mean? I read its turned off but how can that be since the hps entry port is usbc and isnt that a digital input meaning that the headphones dac must always be used even if its wired to an analog output?
3. I read that its sold for 1000 euro but here in nl its about 1100 euro at the cheapest. Anywhere that I can buy it for less?
Thanks in advance for any info,
Greetings, Anouk,

Nov 20, 2022 at 5:08 AM Post #565 of 967
HEy everyone
looking forward to buying these as my first wireless ancs in the next year, a few questions though:
1. So you can use these with a laptop directly with usbc to the headphones so playing and charging at the same time? I am asking because nowhere else this dac mode is mentioned...
2. If you use it with a 3.5mm cable directly from a source or an amp is the headphone turned on or off, the circuitry I mean? I read its turned off but how can that be since the hps entry port is usbc and isnt that a digital input meaning that the headphones dac must always be used even if its wired to an analog output?
3. I read that its sold for 1000 euro but here in nl its about 1100 euro at the cheapest. Anywhere that I can buy it for less?
Greetings, Anouk,
1: No. Yes you can use them as external DAC, but no, they don't play and charge simultaneously
2: Yes, completely passive. The 3.5mm to USB cable that is included uses 3 unused wires in the cable that connect to the analog circuitry inside the ML
3: See PM

Nov 20, 2022 at 5:26 AM Post #566 of 967
Another question that I forgot to add, I have a dragonfly red lying around here doing nothing (so could, as a bonus also use this with my laptop wired/passive) but ifthe headphones active/wired sounds as well I would prefer going that way (have an always free usbc slot in my laptop) are you able to control the headphones volume on the headphoe if used inthis way?
Thabnks again for any info
Greetings,Anouk,

Nov 20, 2022 at 7:59 AM Post #567 of 967
Another question that I forgot to add, I have a dragonfly red lying around here doing nothing (so could, as a bonus also use this with my laptop wired/passive) but ifthe headphones active/wired sounds as well I would prefer going that way (have an always free usbc slot in my laptop) are you able to control the headphones volume on the headphoe if used inthis way?
Thabnks again for any info
Greetings,Anouk,
Yes 😊

Nov 20, 2022 at 8:07 AM Post #568 of 967
Hi, been living with my 5909s over a week now. I moved up from Sony's XM4 (on the go and at work) and AKG K702 (for home) and I could not be happier with the sound... At work I am using them with Dragonfly RED, but I belive that Levinsons deserve something more. I think that the Dragonfly RED is bit too "sharp" and "bright" for them...
Any recommendations or experinece for/with DAC+AMP around 500€? Also, I have always wanted something with analog volume control but for exmaple MOJO2 looks very nice and I also like the ease of use and small form factor of the Dragonflys.
Hi,
I have a spare dragonfly red here as well and was wondering if its better then just using the ml with wired usb with its own dac?
Greetings, Anouk,

Nov 20, 2022 at 11:56 AM Post #569 of 967
Hi,
I have a spare dragonfly red here as well and was wondering if its better then just using the ml with wired usb with its own dac?
Greetings, Anouk,
I'm not familiar with the Dragonfly Red, but the ML internal DAC is limited to 96Khz and there is MQA unfolding... an external DAC may well improve quality a little. Those are great ANC headphones.

Nov 20, 2022 at 2:57 PM Post #570 of 967
Cool, mqa in the internal dac? I like the dragonfly red have had it for years and now ironicallyuse it with speakers mostly. I guess I can always try and compare when Ihave them was just curious.
I now this is perhaps comparing apples to pears but has anyone compared these to dan clark audio aeon 2 closed or noir? These have been on my radar for a long long long time but for me getting the ml is just way more practical. Still would be curious to know. I guess this would mean ml as passive without anc with extermal source..
Thanks everyone for the quick replies!
Its nice to have a real head-fi itch once more.
Greetings, Anouk,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back