Marantz SC-11s1 anyone?
Nov 29, 2008 at 12:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

jpelg

Needs a regular fix of 'Fi
'06 Nat Meet Co-Coordinator
SC-11S1-BEAUTY.jpg

SC-11S1-BACK-VIEW.jpg

Ad copy reads, "includes two independent fully-discrete amplifier sections for the phono preamp and the headphone output.". Sounds like just the right combo of what I need.

Anyone heard one?

Dec 6, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #2 of 12
Looks pretty nice Jimmy.

I've always liked the higher-end Marantz gear I've heard, but that's mostly source gear...so I'm not going to be much help re) this one.

I say go for it.
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:14 AM Post #3 of 12
Looks pretty good from all directions:

SC-11S1-INSIDE.jpg

After getting the SA-7S1, I was looking into this pretty hard, but I stuck with my Exposure equipment for now... I would like to spend some time with one.

Cheers,

Dec 6, 2008 at 10:55 AM Post #4 of 12
Product page:

Marantz America | SC-11S1 Reference Control Amplifier

The manual says:

¶ Balanced Input Headphone System
This is a balanced input current feedback headphone amplifier
newly developed for use with the Balanced Linear Control
Volume. This power amplifier is special combination of a
high quality sound operational amplifier and discrete currentfeedback
type amplifier specifically for headphone use.

I shot an email to Marantz asking what exactly that all means, and for more detail on the circuit.

I recently picked up a turntable (minty Technics SL1700), along with a cheapo phono stage. My current headphone amp only has one input though. This preamp/phono/headphone amp is just the right combination of features I need in one box. Very elegant.

Tough to justify the expense right now though. I need a new cartridge too. We'll see...

Jan 13, 2009 at 12:29 PM Post #7 of 12
[size=xx-small]A small update[/size]

After more than a little prodding from me, here is the latest response from Marantz:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marantz's VP of marketing and sales
"The current feedback circuit is totally discrete, no Op Amps. Very high quality, like everything else in the SC-11"

This is admittedly (on their part) not written in any of their product documentation. Still, I wish I had the scratch at the moment to go for this. Maybe in a few months.

Jan 16, 2009 at 6:09 AM Post #8 of 12
i am eyeing some Marantz receiver and amp for Heco speakers but man this amp is simply mindblowing.

its under premium category on their website so i guess it must be priced accordingly.

the choice of inputs is just too good.

any idea on pricing though?

these are the speakers i ll be buying for myself with savings:

Heco Metas 300

metas_02.jpg

and when i heard them with LA Audio tube amp..they sounded loosely driven...but the marantz amp they sounded just tight enough.

Jan 16, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #9 of 12
I think that there is some confusion here Nocturnal...

This thread is about the SC-11S1 (control/pre amp)

Are you thinking of the SM-11S1 Stereo Power Amp??

Both great products... but one can push speakers and one cannot...

For some US pricing:

marantz reference

Cheers,

Jan 17, 2009 at 6:32 AM Post #10 of 12
thanks..i think that One alphabet caused some confusion..because the amp i saw wasnt in that price range.

Apr 24, 2010 at 12:04 PM Post #11 of 12
I just sold my Grace m902 and went to the SC11S1 - had it for a few days now, and I am impressed with the headphone amp. Dead quiet and enough juice for my K702. First impressions are that it's low freq. response is greater that the Grace (though I never craved more bass with the Grace), this is also the case for the unit as a preamp.

Cheers.

Apr 28, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #12 of 12
I owned the Marantz SM-11S1 power amp. Admittedly a different product than the SC-11S1 preamp, which I have not heard. The SM-11S1 was not to my liking. The sound signature was fast, as described in a variety of positive reviews, but lean and surprisingly analytical, especially given Marantz's reputation for warm-sounding gear. Maybe it was meant to be paired with the SC-11S1...

One possibly relevant piece of information...It took a long time to sell the SM-11S1 on Audiogon. Unlike some high-end audio equipment (e.g. McIntosh or Ayre), high-end components from Marantz don't seem to have much of a loyal following. Getting a decent bid in the used market may take quite a bit of time if you decide you don't want to keep it. So try to listen to it first if possible. If you are in Manhattan, Park Avenue Audio around 29th Street carries Marantz's high-end components and might have an SC-11S1 set up in one of their listening rooms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back