marantz pcdp????
Sep 13, 2004 at 7:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

KShaft

100+ Head-Fier
Is this what you guys are talking about?

http://www.audiogear.com/cgi-bin/sho...&preadd=action

Im looking for a pcdp for mostly sound quality, I dont plan on listening on a bus or the like. I know **** about portable audio. Something readily available as I only have about 3 weeks before I leave. Can you guys shoot me some suggestions so I can do quick reasearch!
Thank you!
k.s.

Sep 13, 2004 at 8:14 PM Post #3 of 15
Yes I did notice the many features, which I do indeed have no use for.

But if the sound quality is better, than so be it.

thank you for the reply!
any one else?
k.s.

Sep 13, 2004 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 15
Why don't you buy it and give us your impressions?
wink.gif

Sep 13, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #5 of 15
$500, damn. You'd be better off getting a vintage pcdp for a lot cheaper, or an IMP/dne1.

Sep 13, 2004 at 10:23 PM Post #6 of 15
hey thats why im posting!

So, a dne10, dej2000 or dne900 would give about the same sound quality is what you are getting at? Once again, I dont know too much about these. I figure MAYBE that the marantz one would be the one to beat(there is a slightly cheaper one for 350, and I think the more expensive one just has more features[heres hoping]) but I have no experience with portable stuff.....

thanks again for the replies...
k.s.

Sep 13, 2004 at 10:43 PM Post #7 of 15
IIRC several people around here have purchased one of those Marantz PCDP. Although they do sound excellent and the higher end models above the PSD-230 allows you to burn cds, IMO I would rather spend my money on one of the current PCDP that you have mentioned or as Kirosia has stated put your money towards a vintage PCDP. I haven't heard any of the models you have mentioned so I can't comment on their sound quality. There are many vintage PCDP's you can get here in the F/S forum or on Ebay for less than half of what you're going to pay for the Marantz that will give you an equally impressive sound. Vintage models such as the Sony D-777, D-311, or the D-303 are all excellent sounding PCDP that will cost you about half of the price of the Marantz.
As mentioned earlier by Edvard_Grieg most of the cost going into the Marantz PCDP is for features tailored towards musicians who want to learn a certain songs by hearing particular notes played back at certain speed which you can adjust with the Marantz. The Marantz also makes excellent live recordings. Unless you're planning on doing the above two on a reqular basis you're better off buying some of the PCDP models you've mentioned or a vintage PCDP.

Sep 14, 2004 at 6:14 PM Post #10 of 15
Thanks for the advice everyone.
I purchased a d-ne10 from etronics.
Should be decent.

Whats a good line out cable? Moon-audio stuff the best? Thier senn replacement cables seem to be top tier....

Sep 14, 2004 at 6:33 PM Post #11 of 15
Conrats on getting the D-NE10, as far as which is a good IC for your PCDP Moon Audio makes very good IC's that has gotten many postive reviews here. May I also suggest you give the Headphile Black Coral, Black Gold, and Black Silver or the ZU pivot a look as they all are built with first class workmanship and offers a warm and detailed sound.

Sep 14, 2004 at 9:27 PM Post #14 of 15
I would get a Sony PBD V-30

They are good. I have one. Better DVD parts = better sound is all i can think of for why this is a great sounding portable. Also the VCR battery Li-on doesnt hurt im sure.

Anyway take a look on ebay, they are under 200 bucks and sound great. I had a Denon DCP 150 and 2 Sony D515 so i kinda know where this hangs in comparison. I use it with my Gilmore V2 and cheapie ICs and it sounds great.

It has outputs galore, line out, dolby digi out, s video etc..... but i only use it as a PCDP, doesnt skip either and has a full sized remote control.

Hope this helps you out... I wouldnt spend 500 on that marantz but i would spend 200 on this PBD V30.

My name's sean and i approve this message.
SonyPBD-V30.jpg

Sep 14, 2004 at 9:38 PM Post #15 of 15
Spwal,

I looked for that unit per your reviews for 2-3 weeks and could not locate one.. It was the first one I looked for but could never find it.....

Ill look for one again, just to be sure....I dont think my unit shiped yet...

k.s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back