Marantz Model 2226 Problem (solved)
Jul 1, 2011 at 1:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

T-Willi

100+ Head-Fier
UPDATE

Alright back with an update. I did exactly as you said.... Used a compressed air blower and brushed over the pots with an old painbrush and my did that work quite well! Now when I change the volume there is just a bit of static. No more channels fading in and out or extremely loud obnoxious static that  makes me want to throw my headphones haha. Although, as I just mentioned, the static is still there but its very miniscule and doesnt bother me. Overall I thank everyone for your help :D

-Thanks

Alrighty, so my new (and first pair of audiophile cans
beyersmile.png
) Shure srh840s came in the mail today and upon arrival I figured "Hey I bet these would sound awesome on the Marantz!" Sure enough I hook everything up, become entranced in my music
gs1000.gif
, my mom even said I could have the Marantz and also her old Sony STR-SE501, sounds great right? Well they both sound quite great, but theres one problem with the Marantz. When I touch the knob to change the volume it makes a static noise and when I have to lower/raise the volume the static will come up again and stay for about 7-15 seconds, then itll settle down and go away. If that doesnt happen then normally the left channel in my headphone will go out and I have to ever so slightly adjust the knob until the channel comes back.

Its not my headphones, its the receiver, I know this because I tested this out on the surround monitors and it did the same exact thing. I dont mind just biting the bullet and using the sony receiver but the Marantz provides much more bass and I like its overall sound compared to the Sony. I know of a shop in town but I dont think its still in business, and any other store that could possibly fix it would be 45 miles away. Does anyone know if this is a common issue and can easily be fixed or will I need to find a professional?

Thanks in Advance,
                                        -Kyle

Also one more thing. If I were to use the sony but I wanted more bass from it would I have to preamp it? Right now im using a Red/White to 3.5mm cord (ipod) > receiver> Headphones. If I were to preamp would it be red/White to 3.5 (ipod) > amp > receiver> headphones? Would a fiio e11 work for that setup?

Jul 1, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #2 of 9
It's old and it's dusty. It can be cleaned by a professional, or you can just turn the volume knob, that's to say use it more often than it has been used over the years, and the problem may go away on its own.

Jul 1, 2011 at 10:49 AM Post #3 of 9
Do you think opening up and getting a blower to blow some of the dust would help at all?

Jul 2, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #4 of 9
Opening the case up and using compressed air and perhaps a long hair paint brush will help remove the dust that has accumulated on top of the boards/components. However to clean the pots you will need a potentiometer cleaner and a lube to "hit" each of the pots and switches, this followed by turning the pots/switches several times in both directions (repeat the process). However, if you do not know what you are doing you could get hurt or hurt the amp.

Jul 4, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #5 of 9
Well mrarroyo Im just going to try out that first option you listed. Im not exactly in the "getting zapped to death" mood haha. I have noticed just from me using the marantz a bit more the static has started to go away but it is still pretty significant. Thanks for everyone's help! :D

Jul 7, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #7 of 9
Alright back with an update. I did exactly as you said.... Used a compressed air blower and brushed over the pots with an old painbrush and my did that work quite well! Now when I change the volume there is just a bit of static. No more channels fading in and out or extremely loud obnoxious static that  makes me want to throw my headphones haha. Although, as I just mentioned, the static is still there but its very miniscule and doesnt bother me. Overall I thank everyone for your help :D

-Thanks

edit: I'll edit my original post to reflect this post. Thanks again everyone :)

Jul 8, 2011 at 6:45 PM Post #8 of 9
Glad it worked out, BTW repeat the cleaning in a couple of weeks. For some reason the dust/dirt has a way of coming back shortly after a cleaning. At least that has been my experience.

Jul 8, 2011 at 8:49 PM Post #9 of 9
Alright will do, and also the static has completely erased itself except for when I turn the knob while its on the low end of volume. Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back