Marantz HD-DAC1
Aug 30, 2015 at 3:44 PM Post #526 of 1,280
Just received my HD-DAC1 a couple of days ago and I really love it so far. I tried it with my many different headphones and they all sounded good. I don't really have nothing to compare to except my Fiio E17/ Little Dot I+ so I must say it is an improvement. It really feels premium build and it is quite heavy to be honest !! Will post back some impressions later !

Sep 1, 2015 at 4:07 PM Post #527 of 1,280

Just received my HD-DAC1 a couple of days ago and I really love it so far. I tried it with my many different headphones and they all sounded good. I don't really have nothing to compare to except my Fiio E17/ Little Dot I+ so I must say it is an improvement. It really feels premium build and it is quite heavy to be honest !! Will post back some impressions later !

Very curious to hear your comparison of HD-DAC1 vs Fiio17/Little Dot I+. Fiio/LD combo costs less than half, still Marantz looks simply amazing. 

Sep 1, 2015 at 9:13 PM Post #528 of 1,280
Yeah it sure looks amazing !! I didn't have much time to listen to it these days but I will keep you updated as soon as I can. Quickly all that I could say is that it is an improvement without any doubts.

Sep 6, 2015 at 10:49 AM Post #529 of 1,280
I have recently paired the HD-DAC1 with with the LCD-X and I am really digging the sound.  I think this is a phenomenal pairing with a a yummy lush sound but still maintains a high level of clarity, separation, and layering that can't be easily matched with any another DAC/HPA at this price point.  Just listening hours and hours on end being drawn into the music - such a musical pairing.

I'm really not sure how much you could improve on the musicality of the set up at this price point.

Sep 13, 2015 at 9:40 PM Post #533 of 1,280
I have a marantz sr5009, I have a Apple TV connected and using both the HDMI outputs to separet TVs, but now, the hdmi out for the Apple TV won't show it independently on one TV,
Insted,
I have to have both Tvs on the marantz hdmi and then it shows the same picture on both (don't want that)
What's happening?
I thought it was the Apple TV but it wasn't

Sep 13, 2015 at 11:47 PM Post #534 of 1,280
Seems like an issue for another thread. You'll get better help if you will post the issue in its own topic. This one is to discuss the HD-DAC1....

Sep 15, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #537 of 1,280
  Why can't I find any awards for the HD-DAC1 and only one review in English on YouTube. Is the world of USB DAC lovers that small?

I was asking that myself too. Probably HD-DAC1 didn't wake too much interest because of several reasons:
- Marantz uses throughout their higher range the very same dac-chip by Cirrus Logic, CS4398. Cirrus is not so respected in the audiophile circles, and besides folks who already have other higher Marantz gear with the very same chip, don't see much reason buying again an external DAC with the same components.
- Marantz claims that in all their higher range amps they already use dedicated headphone amp output, so again they kinda shoot it off.
- For other folks there are some much cheaper dac/amp combos, which also take much less space on the desktop then stately HD-DAC1.

Still, I am very curious to hear impressions from hopefully happy owners. For me it's a looker 
cool.gif

Sep 15, 2015 at 3:47 PM Post #538 of 1,280

I was asking that myself too. Probably HD-DAC1 didn't wake too much interest because of several reasons:
- Marantz uses throughout their higher range the very same dac-chip by Cirrus Logic, CS4398. Cirrus is not so respected in the audiophile circles, and besides folks who already have other higher Marantz gear with the very same chip, don't see much reason buying again an external DAC with the same components.
- Marantz claims that in all their higher range amps they already use dedicated headphone amp output, so again they kinda shoot it off.
- For other folks there are some much cheaper dac/amp combos, which also take much less space on the desktop then stately HD-DAC1.

Still, I am very curious to hear impressions from hopefully happy owners. For me it's a looker 
cool.gif

Good analysis! I happen to have a PM6005 with the same CS4398. Would you expect sound improvement (HD-DAC1 over PM6005) with a HD650 plugged in?

Sep 15, 2015 at 4:13 PM Post #539 of 1,280

Good analysis! I happen to have a PM6005 with the same CS4398. Would you expect sound improvement (HD-DAC1 over PM6005) with a HD650 plugged in?

I am not quite sure, since I don't have HD-DAC1 (yet). But I assume, it would be quite an improvement as it has variable gain setting, matching different impedances.
PM6005 probably adds only a series resistor between the amplifier and the headphone jack, to protect it from short circuits and overloads. I am not sure for your amp, but have seen other Marantz amps with a resistor as high as 210 ohm. Which can poorly control HD650, damping factor being very low.

Sep 15, 2015 at 4:20 PM Post #540 of 1,280

If you read back in this thread you'd find a bunch of people saying that the DAC is average but the awesome headphone AMP section more than makes up for it. And the headphone amp is considerably better than those tucked into their other stuff. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back