Marantz - HD-Amp1 (2016 Brand New DXD, DSD256 USB DAC)
Nov 25, 2017 at 8:38 AM Post #16 of 28
There isn't much discussion about HD-AMP1 so I decided to give my two cents, this integrated amplifier was highly praised in some magazines but I was totally unimpressed at first. It has a switching power supply and a class D amplifier which will put off a lot of people, and with good reasons. However…

Connections - You can plug an iPhone (up to v6, a firmware update for compatibility with 7 or 8 would be welcomed) or iPod to the USB port in the front panel. It allows also to connect a memory stick or a hard drive and navigate to and play from folders but the screen is too small for this and in spite of the long list of compatible file formats may not play some of them because of the size of the artwork cover or something else. It accepts USB from a computer, Toslink and SPDIF in the back as well as analogue inputs. Enough connections to make everyone happy and those using a turntable will probably not consider this option anyway so the lack of a phono preamplifier isn’t a real issue.

DAC + headphone amplifier - USB input from Audirvana, output to Oppo PM-3 headphones. Compared with Chord Mojo, Mojo has better separation, is more detailed and the timbre seems more accurate, not much, much better but enough to notice the difference.

Headphone amplifier - Analog input from Mojo, output to Oppo PM-3 headphones. Almost like coming directly from the Mojo, some loss would be expected anyway due to the increased signal path but the headphone amplifier seems good.

DAC - USB output from Audirvana, to Yggdrasil Gen5 USB and then to the analogue input, or to the USB input to use the internal DAC, output to Oppo PM-3 headphones. There is a clear difference in timbre, more natural with the Yggdrasil, however there isn’t a huge difference in soundstage, instrument placing and detail, this doesn’t mean the internal DAC is as good as the Yggdrasil but instead that the headphone amplifier and/or the headphones aren’t good enough to reveal Yggdrasil’s capabilities.

Integrated amplifier - Connected to Sonus Faber Concerto Home speakers (6 Ohms nominal impedance, drops to 4 Ohms at 40 Hz, 200 Hz and 5 kHz, 88 dB/1 W/1 m sensitivity). It is rated at 35 W @ 8 Ohms and 70 W @ 4 Ohms (measurements in a German site report higher values), doesn’t seem like much but my 300B parallel single-ended triode with just 20 W @ 6 Ohms drives these speakers with authority and bass goes as low as the speaker allows.

The first impression was that the bass simply wasn’t there, but after a few hours things improved. Bass is there and is well controlled but doesn’t go as low as with my PSET.

Using the internal DAC or connecting a Chord Mojo or Schiit Yggdrasil to the analogue inputs doesn’t make a huge difference. There is a difference in timbre but not as much in terms of detail or 3D image. This seems to indicate that the internal DAC (at first one wonders why Marantz chose the ES9010K2M at the base of the SABRE family and not something in the Reference series) is almost as good as the amplifier is able to handle (in a Stax lambda system the differences between DACs are obvious).

Is it a keeper? It depends a lot on the objective, it’s a dead end in the sense there is no upgrade path to the audio Nirvana. Doesn’t have pre-amp outs, isn't revealing enough to even consider plugin a DAC like Yggdrasil, etc. However, the amplifier is actually much better than expected for the power rating and class D. At 649 GBP and 3 years warranty seems difficult to find something that ticks so many boxes, for more critical listening I can plugin the Chord Mojo to the analogue input and it's very enjoyable, to watch TV, play games or more casual listening either using the iPhone (front USB port, synchronous) or the laptop (rear USB-DAC port, asynchronous) the internal DAC is good enough and at night when finally everyone is sleeping I have the option of listening through headphones with a decent headphone amplifier. Yes, it's a keeper because Mojo saves the day, but no, it isn’t as good as some magazine reviews seem to imply, neither competes with integrated amplifiers several times its price (or with some power amplifiers at the same price). I'm tempted to say it's a balanced package but I wish the DAC was a bit better.

Last edited:
Dec 6, 2017 at 4:25 PM Post #17 of 28
Just went over the comments of a Dutch review, according to the reviewer the HD-DAC1 has a better sounding DAC than the HD-AMP1 (the specs are better as well). Why Marantz compromised the AMP1 with the DAC choice instead of just making a good power amplifier (at much lower price than the AMP1) to match the DAC1(that can be used as a pre-amp)?

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 3:23 AM Post #18 of 28
I wish Marantz would release a bigger unit equipped with more power, 100W/channel or so, in the near future. There are reviews that say AMP1 is capable of driving a pair of floorstanders
but 35w/ch may not be sufficient for more demanding speakers.

Mar 17, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #19 of 28
You have the DIY option, with NC400 modules from Hypex, they have power supplies as well. I may try that in the future, thinking about the pre-amp though, maybe passive transformer based.

Mar 30, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #20 of 28
I wish Marantz would release a bigger unit equipped with more power, 100W/channel or so, in the near future. There are reviews that say AMP1 is capable of driving a pair of floorstanders
but 35w/ch may not be sufficient for more demanding speakers.
You could check this review with lab results
https://translate.google.pl/transla...niacze-stereo/2607-marantz-hd-amp1&edit-text=
in which you could see that Marantz official specifications are very conservative. I could tell you from my own experience, that this labs results are more correct, than marantz own specifications.

Mar 16, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #23 of 28
Hi all. In the meanwhile this amp is for 4 years, and it's price has lowered significantly. I purchased it online and in between the purchase and arrival time I read some reviews like the one from axle_69 above.

Fortunately, I don't really agree. All depends on what type of music is being listened to I guess.

I compared with a marantz pm7005 (speaker output) and with the chord mojo for headphone output (beyerdynamic dt1350).

It has a more neutral balance than the PM7005 and vocals come out terrifically well. It took my some time to start appreciating it's natural and clean sound.

When listening to pop, dance, rock or that kind of music, what I notice is because of the neutrality, it doesn't emphasis the instruments, the bass, it emphasizes the voices.

It might sound dull if you compare it to something like the bluesound powernode i2, which has a very warm sound. Some people like that, and that's OK. The bluesound dóes sound great with a lot of music. But I listen to piano music, acoustic stuff and so on most of the time, and this is where hd-amp1 shines.

For headphone, it has a terrific output. I am used to listening to mojo, and I like it a lot, but the mojo is a bit "warmer" in comparison and it has less resolution. I can hear more details with the Marantz, especially in the upper regions. A piece of piano has pretty bad timbre/tonality with the mojo. Much better with the marantz.

I tried to see if I could have the same "separation" experience as axle but in my limited testing I didn't find the marantz dac having better nor worse separation, it was pretty much the same.

What I needed was: USB input, small dimensions, speaker output ánd a convincing headphone output. That is what I got. I would have loved to compare it with NAD D3045 which is even smaller, but unfortunately that was not possible.

I do hate the plastic sides. Not because they are plastic but because it is so old-fashion stuff. I will try to replace it with some wood. Hopefully won't impact sonic performance.

In the beginning the amp was a bit too "bright" for me, but after some "burn-in" for my ears and brain, I started liking it much more up to the point it's become my preferred amplifier. And it went down from 1200 euro to 750. Lucky me.

Mar 18, 2020 at 2:41 AM Post #24 of 28
Oh class D.
I tried DENON class D amp for my ls50, sound awful...;( even DENON customer relations TEL lady hint me same thing.
Does this marantz class d sound good? Does anyone try this class D amp?
The good thing about class D it's electronics, and electronics evolve fast. It ll be just a few years until class A/B becomes a niche like tube amps. Just like digital photography.

They are small, powerful, extremely accurate, cheap and power efficient. What is not to like?

Anyway, my point was that Denon relies on Qualcomm DDFA technology while the Marantz uses the dutch Hypex UcD for amplification.

NAD used the first in older products like nad d 7050 and the hypex for newer models like nad d 3045 or c3x8. It might have an edge.

Dec 17, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #26 of 28
Hi all. In the meanwhile this amp is for 4 years, and it's price has lowered significantly. I purchased it online and in between the purchase and arrival time I read some reviews like the one from axle_69 above.

Fortunately, I don't really agree. All depends on what type of music is being listened to I guess.

I compared with a marantz pm7005 (speaker output) and with the chord mojo for headphone output (beyerdynamic dt1350).

It has a more neutral balance than the PM7005 and vocals come out terrifically well. It took my some time to start appreciating it's natural and clean sound.

When listening to pop, dance, rock or that kind of music, what I notice is because of the neutrality, it doesn't emphasis the instruments, the bass, it emphasizes the voices.

It might sound dull if you compare it to something like the bluesound powernode i2, which has a very warm sound. Some people like that, and that's OK. The bluesound dóes sound great with a lot of music. But I listen to piano music, acoustic stuff and so on most of the time, and this is where hd-amp1 shines.

For headphone, it has a terrific output. I am used to listening to mojo, and I like it a lot, but the mojo is a bit "warmer" in comparison and it has less resolution. I can hear more details with the Marantz, especially in the upper regions. A piece of piano has pretty bad timbre/tonality with the mojo. Much better with the marantz.

I tried to see if I could have the same "separation" experience as axle but in my limited testing I didn't find the marantz dac having better nor worse separation, it was pretty much the same.

What I needed was: USB input, small dimensions, speaker output ánd a convincing headphone output. That is what I got. I would have loved to compare it with NAD D3045 which is even smaller, but unfortunately that was not possible.

I do hate the plastic sides. Not because they are plastic but because it is so old-fashion stuff. I will try to replace it with some wood. Hopefully won't impact sonic performance.

In the beginning the amp was a bit too "bright" for me, but after some "burn-in" for my ears and brain, I started liking it much more up to the point it's become my preferred amplifier. And it went down from 1200 euro to 750. Lucky me.
Interesting. I was wondering if it's worth adding a chord Mojo as a DAC. I have a D7200, LCD-2C and now an LCD-X and I am very pretentious about the low-end always. If the mojo would give me only better bass, it would probably be worth it still.

Jan 6, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #28 of 28
I just purchased this amp a few days ago as a bundle with Bowers and Wilkins 606 speakers on sale (because they have recently released B&W 606 Anniversary Edition) for $1,500.

I think this amp has more power than what's advertised because it can easily drive the 606 to deafening levels without noticeable distortion.

Someone mentioned the lack of bass. That's what I observed earlier, but when I went to a different location of the room, the bass revealed itself in a very satisfying way. I guess bass is really something more of a function of the room dynamics rather than the actual output of the amplifier or speaker itself.

I think HD-AMP1 is more capable of delivering what is required when it comes to critical listening than what other people give credit it for.

If you have JRiver Media Center, you could head over to Cloudplay and play Hi-Res audios.

I am actually using JRiver and I recommend that you do the following to extract the best possible delivery
1. Install driver first before connecting to PC. Ignore the plug and play automatic installation of windows
2. Install ASIO4ALL
3. Head over to audio settings and choose 2 channel, 192 khz, 32-bit
4. Choose ASIO4ALL as Audio Device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back