Marantz cd6ooo
Aug 16, 2001 at 7:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Paul Laurens

New Head-Fier
Has anyone tried the Marantz 6000 CD player? I'd like to be able to plug my Grado 125 straight into its headphone jack. The last couple of Cd players with jacks I used had noisey outlets, which is a distraction for me.

Aug 16, 2001 at 7:41 PM Post #2 of 12
I have found that the headphone jack on my Marantz CD-6000 OSE is decent -- not great, but passable. Then again, this was using my old Grado RS-2 headphones (now Voyager's), which are warmer than your SR-125. You may find the headphone jack a bit bright, but I certainly doubt you'd find it noisy.

Aug 16, 2001 at 8:01 PM Post #3 of 12
I have the CD6000 and absolutely love it! The headphone-jack is very loud tho, I can only stand it at the lowest volume-level with my Senn 495's! I think your grado's are much more efficient so you might want to try that before buying.

Aug 16, 2001 at 9:24 PM Post #4 of 12
Thanks for the help. I had a Onkyo (forget number), and a Micromega 6, both of which had an electrical hum that was louder than the quiet passages in classical music. All the portables seem to be silent so I wonder why the bigger players performed worse in the noise department. Maybe I just had bad luck.

Aug 16, 2001 at 9:35 PM Post #5 of 12
Hi

If you're in London Ontario. You could probably go to London Audio or Traget Hi-Fi and audition for the cdplayers.

Cheers
J

Aug 16, 2001 at 11:08 PM Post #6 of 12
Hi Jaskin,

Yes, both those shops are good, with an emphasis toward audiophile level equipment. I've purchased electronics and headphones from both. I phoned London Audio today and they no longer sell Marantz (neither does Target) so I'll have to go outside the city if I want it. I am open to any under $600 Cd player with an adequate jack so I'll wander in and see what they have now.

Aug 17, 2001 at 1:11 AM Post #7 of 12
Paul Laurens: Uhm, do you have a tuner or satellite receiver - or something else that's connected to an outside antenna or something else that might have a different ground potential - in your system? Because this sounds to me like a grounding problem - maybe you could try a filter (these are called Mantelstromfilter over here, but I don't know the English equivalent), then.

I had a similar problem with my system years ago because the vcrs were connected to the tv-antenna on the roof, which had a different ground potential. It completely vanished, after I had bought and connected such a cheap (< 20 DM) Mantelstromfilter between the antenna jack and the antenna cable to my vcrs. Computers can also cause similar problems. In addition, I don't know whether the polarity of the power outlets in Canada can be switched by just rotating the plug (as we can over here). Then you could try that with all the connected components, too.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Aug 18, 2001 at 10:46 PM Post #8 of 12
The headphone jack of the CD6000 (I have the OSE version) is good. a bit bright though so it may be over the top with the Grados, try before you buy is recommended then. Another thing is that the jack's volume is controlled via the remote ie. no volume pot and the attenuation steps are not very fine. There are in total 8-9 steps from max level to max attenuation.

Aug 19, 2001 at 6:32 PM Post #9 of 12
Interesting about ground problems and noisey equipment. I wish I understood electronics better. I had my old Micromega 6 cd player connected to a Bryston B60 amplifier. The cd-player's outlet was noisey; the amplifier was dead-black silent -- plugged into the same receptical. And to put a wrench in the works: I preferred -- minus the hum -- the sound direct out of the cd player -- more spacious I thought, and not so "close". If only the noise weren't there!

Aug 19, 2001 at 10:39 PM Post #10 of 12
Maybe you need shielded cables?!

If you already have some, and you still have the noise, it might be worth buying a couple of ferrite rings to go around the interconnects

I don't know how they work exactly but they seem to remove RF interference
smily_headphones1.gif

Hope this helps

Aug 19, 2001 at 10:58 PM Post #11 of 12
Other thing you can do is to try to position your separates further away from each other. I remember at one stage having my CDP on top of my integrated amp and the system was noisy. Changed that and the noise vanished.

Aug 20, 2001 at 2:08 AM Post #12 of 12
Yup, and if different placing and maybe other cables won't help, a power filter or a decent online ups (offline won't work, as these usually don't provide a good sine output) should be worth a try.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back