Marantz CD5001 vs. NADC525BEE
Mar 14, 2007 at 6:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

soloz2

Headphoneus Supremus
I would like to get a better CD player then what I currently have and have pretty much narrowed my options down to two.

Marantz CD5001
http://us.marantz.com/Products/1154.asp
or
NAD C525BEE
http://nadelectronics.com/products/c...5BEE-CD-Player

I think the NAD C542 would be ideal, but seems to be out of my price range

Does anyone have any experience with these players? and ideally is there anyone who has heard both? I will probably still use them as a transport since I have two very good DACs unless I like the analogue outputs better

Mar 14, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #2 of 7
If you already have two good dacs, I'd rather take neither of the two cdps and go for a cheaper transport machine - e.g. the Panasonic DVD-S52(K/S). And you might even be surprised about the comparatively good quality of the analogue outputs on those priceworthy Panasonics (I've got the DVD-S75 (EU model), which sounds a bit different, but not really worse than my CD6000OSE).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Mar 14, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by lini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you already have two good dacs, I'd rather take neither of the two cdps and go for a cheaper transport machine - e.g. the Panasonic DVD-S52(K/S). And you might even be surprised about the comparatively good quality of the analogue outputs on those priceworthy Panasonics (I've got the DVD-S75 (EU model), which sounds a bit different, but not really worse than my CD6000OSE).

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

I also use a cheap DVD player (Philips DVP642) as a transport into a 203.2 with very pleasing results, and yes cheap DVD players can sound surprisingly good on analog outs as well. The only issue with cheap DVD transports is that some are not terribly reliable so it is worth checking user reviews first to see if there are any known issues...

Mar 14, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #4 of 7
well I already have a Philips DVP642 and I have used a Sony SCD CE595 before so I'm actually looking for something better. I am not opposed to not using the DACs as I'll probably eventually sell one as soon as I decide which I like better, and I'll still use the DAC for my computer

Mar 14, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well I already have a Philips DVP642 and I have used a Sony SCD CE595 before so I'm actually looking for something better. I am not opposed to not using the DACs as I'll probably eventually sell one as soon as I decide which I like better, and I'll still use the DAC for my computer

Er, I used to own a NAD C542 , the one that you mention as outside your budget. I sold it because (to me) it wasnt any better than the Philips, ymmv of course.

Sorry I should have read your sig first.

Mar 21, 2007 at 5:01 AM Post #7 of 7
thanks for the input. I was prepared to get the Marantz bc my local dealer was going to sell me one for $200, but I found a used Music Hall CD25 for the same price and jumped on it
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back