Manley Labs Headphone amp
May 26, 2020 at 8:17 AM Post #31 of 38
Build quality is very good and I have no concerns that it will stand up to long term use.
The click does not concern me. I don’t use the wheel as it is much easier using the remote. That still causes clicks (presumably relay switching?) but it’s no big deal. I only need to make large adjustments when changing headphones, otherwise, adjustments whilst listening are only very small which often causes no clicking anyway.
The knobs for fine tuning and the push-push switches all feel very good in use and make interacting with the unit quite pleasurable. I thought the rotary control knobs were a bit odd initially being so tall, but this actually helps in live use and they feel good.

Some people seem intent on finding things to criticise about things generally for some reason and very often without even owning or using a device, but I find the Manley to be very well designed, well built and sounds great whilst offering an excellent range of very useable variation. The only things that seem like genuine points are having the headphone outputs on the rear of the unit which doesn’t bother me, but I can see why it would put some people off the unit. Then the price - and high priced items do seem to attract proportionately more criticism.

The product reviews generally seem overwhelmingly positive and they are either all wrong or biased, or they are justified by the performance of the Absolute. As always, the only way to judge is to listen and make our own assessment - that’s all that counts really. But I do tend to agree with the reviewers which is why I own one. In particular, the range of adjustment on hand seems unmatched elsewhere and arguably provides all that you should ever need in one unit.

That's good to hear! I was a little skeptical about the build quality, noise, and distortion.
I'm now also considering the Feliks Audio Echo due to its price.. I think it's too risky if I were to get the Manley or Auris Nirvana straight away.
I'll give it some more thoughts over the next couple of weeks.

Thank you for taking the time to answer my questions!

Dec 19, 2020 at 9:43 AM Post #32 of 38
Build quality is very good and I have no concerns that it will stand up to long term use.
The click does not concern me. I don’t use the wheel as it is much easier using the remote. That still causes clicks (presumably relay switching?) but it’s no big deal. I only need to make large adjustments when changing headphones, otherwise, adjustments whilst listening are only very small which often causes no clicking anyway.
The knobs for fine tuning and the push-push switches all feel very good in use and make interacting with the unit quite pleasurable. I thought the rotary control knobs were a bit odd initially being so tall, but this actually helps in live use and they feel good.

Some people seem intent on finding things to criticise about things generally for some reason and very often without even owning or using a device, but I find the Manley to be very well designed, well built and sounds great whilst offering an excellent range of very useable variation. The only things that seem like genuine points are having the headphone outputs on the rear of the unit which doesn’t bother me, but I can see why it would put some people off the unit. Then the price - and high priced items do seem to attract proportionately more criticism.

The product reviews generally seem overwhelmingly positive and they are either all wrong or biased, or they are justified by the performance of the Absolute. As always, the only way to judge is to listen and make our own assessment - that’s all that counts really. But I do tend to agree with the reviewers which is why I own one. In particular, the range of adjustment on hand seems unmatched elsewhere and arguably provides all that you should ever need in one unit.
For my Manley absolute, I noticed the background noise is very obvious in SE mode. It’s still noticeable in pp mode, but much minor.

Do you have similar experience?

Dec 19, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #33 of 38
For my Manley absolute, I noticed the background noise is very obvious in SE mode. It’s still noticeable in pp mode, but much minor.

Do you have similar experience?

Noise is negligible, but I don’t use SE mode. I use PP with pretty much maximum negative feedback, give or take a touch, so it’s the most tightly controlled setting. I do recall observing a degree of hiss when experimenting with SE mode. I don’t recall it being distracting at all, but it was some while ago now so I can’t be precise. I guess it is to be expected that the more distortion you introduce, the more noise you will experience.

Dec 27, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #34 of 38
Hello Manley owners!

What output load are you using? For me, when pairing with HD800s, I use low/mid, instead of the recommended high, because the noise is a bit bothering in high.

I am also wondering whether it will help to reduce the noise with some power cleaning. Is anyone using a power conditioner or aftermarket power cable?

Thanks!

Jan 2, 2021 at 10:03 AM Post #35 of 38
Just read about this amp for the First time.
Looking really luxurious, I wonder how the sound compares to my Cayin Ha-6a.

What tube types can it use in addition to the stock types?

Jan 2, 2021 at 2:36 PM Post #36 of 38
Jan 2, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #37 of 38
From the specs at https://www.manley.com/hifi/mabhpa
Vacuum Tubes:
2 x 12AX7 (ECC83), 4 x 6AQ5A (EL90)
The question is "are those the only ones that are compatible "?

E.g my amp comes with 12au7 and KT88/EL34 but can use everything of the following types

20210102_204533.jpg

Jan 5, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #38 of 38
I haven’t heard the Manley headphone amp.. I watched a video on Manley and the factory tour Eveanna provided where she explained the headphone amp and how it was produced.. They don’t take many shortcuts at Manley.. These are nicely made components made in California, including their own in house wound transformers and other parts.. I only have experience with their Steelhead phono/preamp and it’s a fine sounding piece.. If I were more into headphones, I would give their gear a listen..
I have a Schiit Modi MB and a Magni 3 for my cans.. These work well with my Senn 650’s.. but if I had a higher end can setup and listened more, I would step up to a nicer setup for headphones, the Manley would be on my shortlist..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back