Malfunctioning Protek D620
Feb 4, 2010 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

soloz2

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar and/or has any ideas about how to fix an issue I'm having with my Protek D620 DMM.

A few days ago it started displaying 'Hi' for everything. It normally will display the instantaneous reading, lowest reading, highest reading and then the RMS reading, however now, the only thing it will show is the instantaneous reading.

I took a picture with my phone. It's low quality, but you can see what I'm talking about.

Feb 7, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #4 of 13
I opened up the meter and found an internal watch style battery. Replacing that didn't solve the problem either.
frown.gif
I guess it's time to start saving for a fluke

Feb 7, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 13
protek is a 'throw away' brand (sorry).

older used gear is often good. b&k or HP or anything that was pricey 'back then' and now some lab does not want it anymore. maybe it went out of calibration for them but fine for hobbyists.

I've had this fluke for well over 20 yrs now. highly recommended:

3668191933_2b68e8b0a2.jpg

simple, reliable and has never failed me. has touch-hold and range-hold.

very good for hobbyist and affordable, too. I liked the 'era' when they made those, back then, too. I distrust most modern equipment and try to find the older stuff if at all possible.

Feb 7, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #6 of 13
Yes, I realize the Protek is more of a 'throw-away' brand. I knew that when I bought it. I just figured it would last longer than 2 yrs.

does Fluke's limited lifetime warranty transfer?

Feb 7, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #7 of 13
No on the warranty transfer:

Industrial Products Limited Lifetime Warranty
Lifetime is defined as seven years after Fluke discontinues manufacturing the product, but the warranty period shall be at least ten years from date of purchase. *(Lifetime Warranty applies to products manufactured after October 1996). The warranty does not cover manuals, fuses, disposable batteries, damage from neglect, misuse, contamination, alteration, accident or abnormal conditions of operation or handling, including failures caused by use outside of the product's specifications, or normal wear and tear of mechanical components. This warranty covers the original purchaser only and is not transferable. This warranty covers the LCD for 10 years only (state-of-the-art for LCDs). To establish original ownership proof of purchase is required. (20, 70, 80, 170, 180 and 280 models)

Have you checked the fuses? I have a Protek 608 that the temp function wasn't working on... found that I had blown the 1A Fluke-style cartridge fuse which was a PITA to find a replacement, at least locally. Seemed strange that temp was affected by this; all other functions I normally use worked fine (volts, ohms).

Protek does have a support email link here:
ProTek Applications - Test & Measurement

Feb 13, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #8 of 13
I found a gently used Fluke 87 III on Craigslist that hopefully I'll be able to pick up. It looks like Transcat has a location in Rochester as well, anyone have experience with them? I'm thinking $115 for the meter and maybe $50ish to get it calibrated and checked over. It seems like a decent price to me, or should I hold off for a slightly newer model?

Feb 13, 2010 at 3:38 AM Post #9 of 13
you'll hate me
wink.gif
I just picked up a used fluke 8050a that seems to be pretty much on-cal with my other meters. was yellow and old but still clean enough to use and accurate, too. $30-ish. found at local surplus store.

admittedly this was a great find and not at all typical
wink.gif

back in the 80's where this was from, I used to only DREAM of such gear. now, I can afford it. well, the stuff FROM the 80's, that is (lol).

once the local labs are done with things, the surplus guys come by and sweep it all away. and then I finally get a stab at the good, old gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back