making your own cables, inerconnets...
Sep 6, 2009 at 6:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

fault151

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi i have recently been reading tutorials on how to put together braided cables using the Litz method. So far i have found how to create the 4 wire type, but would like to create the 8 wire type. Are there any good tutorials for this?

Also i can't decide whether it would just be either to buy a ready made cable instead of messing about making my own. If i made my own I would like to build everything from scratch, but i'm struggling to find some good silver wire that is cheap and all the teflon insulation to go with it.

Are there any cheap/good sites out there anyone can recommend? Im worried that i could spend a load of money buying the parts and in the end, i may have just bought a ready made cable.

Sep 7, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by fault151 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im after the bare silver wire with nothing on it, then i put my own teflon on to it.

Eeeeww. Why would you want to put Teflon on it?
atsmile.gif

VH Audio sells some nice silver wire with cotton insulation (also available with FEP Teflon).

But if you insist on the bare wire, A-M Systems sells it on 25 foot spools in a variety of gauges.

k

Sep 8, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #8 of 9
cheers foir the links guys. I'll take a loko at them and see what they offer.

Im pretty sure the cotton cover wire is similar to that used in my Lindy Fralin guitar pickups. They are meant to be good for the sound quality.

Does anyone know if i would be best dfoing a litz braid using the wire covered with cotton, or teflon coverd silver wire braided and then cotton on top of the wire?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back