Making the KSC-50 more comfy...
Oct 29, 2002 at 2:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

LobsterSan

MOT: kuboTEN
Perhaps this should be in the DIY, but it also relates to headphones... so...

Anyone have suggestions on how to make the Koss KSC-50s a little more comfortable? I find that after about an hour of wearing time my ears are kinda sore. I've toyed with the idea of putting some sort of padding on the lobey parts, but... I don't even know if it would work or what I would use.

And I know I could just go for the 35s, which are supposed to be comfier, lighter and such... but dammit, I'm protecting my 12 dollar investment here, and I want instant gratification!

Oct 30, 2002 at 9:05 AM Post #2 of 7
Bwahahahaha...

Try some sculpting of the earclip. I bent mine in an S shape (looking at it from the back of the head) and I find them pretty comfortable for extended wearing.

Oct 30, 2002 at 7:57 PM Post #3 of 7
Maybe i'll just rub my ears away until i get some big ole calluses on the tops of em. or maybe i'll just sell the ksc-50s and get the portapros instead. i don't really like the way the portapros look, however...

incidentally, i searched the forums and found a bunch of mods that some people have done...

some include putting croakies on the things (sunglass holders), which makes them more comfy. another was to use a piece of wire wrapped around the y of the cord and then pull it up to your chin... like some sort of war general's hat or something.

both, imho, sound quite lame.

Oct 31, 2002 at 3:07 AM Post #4 of 7
Which part is bothering you? Mine can make my ear sore where the solid part of the earclip sets. The bendable part doesn't bother me or help no matter where I put it. I have noticed that more I've used them the less they hurt. I've had them about 8 months now and use them just about every other day for several hours.

Maybe I'm getting numb, I don't feel any calouses.

Oct 31, 2002 at 6:59 AM Post #5 of 7
Actually, PD, after walking around with them on all day yesterday and all day today, they are feeling a bit more comfortable. It is the hard-plasticky part at the top that hurts (i've also found that the rubbery part feels good no matter where it is on my ear). I also am losing my apprehension about them (the first day I had them on I was totally self concious and felt like a complete dork). But then my girlfriend actually complemented me on them and then she tried them on tonight and wants to use them whenever I'm not. So I don't feel so bad about them now.

My Portapros are still in the mail. I have to figure out what I'm gonna do. I guess I might as well keep both (if I don't get any takers on the 50s that I have up for sale).

Oh, the only other thing that bothers me about the 50s is the lack of isolation for people around me. I woulda used them in the library, but i can just imagine the grumpy faces.

Oct 31, 2002 at 7:43 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by LobsterSan
I also am losing my apprehension about them (the first day I had them on I was totally self concious and felt like a complete dork). But then my girlfriend actually complemented me on them and then she tried them on tonight and wants to use them whenever I'm not. So I don't feel so bad about them now.

I felt uneasy about the looks too. I wear mine in a hotel, walking the halls, standing in the parking lot, eating in the restaraunt, etc. I finally took them apart and polished the silver off of the outer ring so it is black now. That has the effect of making them look smaller. Too bad the earpiece is white plastic. Then I changed the cord to a softer cloth cord that has a long side and a short side so that it goes behind my neck. ( mine came with that awful cloth cord Koss used to use) I may take them apart again and paint the screens black.

Oct 31, 2002 at 6:16 PM Post #7 of 7
Those are some good suggestions. I really like to do that sort of thing too -- to make mass commercially available goods more my own. Once I've spent the time on something like that, it becomes so much more special (and usable).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back