Making interconnects
Jun 16, 2005 at 8:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Little J040

1000+ Head-Fier
Just a quick question, i read the steps to build a interconnect, very good descriptions, but i still have one question. Would using 22 awg wire, 2 wires per plug (R,L,G) increase the resistance of the wire enough to affect sound quality? Would using two wires allow anything more (current) to flow through without getting too hot. Not that the interconnect would get hot or anything, but im just curious if i should just use 1 wire per plug, but the wire i have has 8 wires in the sheath, thats why im asking

Thanks much

Jun 16, 2005 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 6
Audio interconnects have so little current (probably on the order of microamps) that they would not even approach the current capability of a single 22ga conductor. People make interconnects from 30ga magnet wire, single conductor per signal.

Jun 16, 2005 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 6
So would doubling up on the 22awg make no sense at all? Would the resistance values change sound output?

Jun 17, 2005 at 12:04 AM Post #4 of 6
you should be more then ok with just 2 strands... you can run 3 if you want, using two for ground, but you will not really notice a difference in sound quality it just really makes it easy to braid.

In all of mine I have always used a tri-braid with 2 for ground and either 22 or 24awg

Jun 17, 2005 at 12:10 AM Post #5 of 6
well some cable manufacturers like Eichmann sware by keeping the ground wire larger then the signal so try using 2 or 3 times the size for the ground.

As far as resistance goes even on 30 ohm wire chances are the resistance is below 0.1 ohms for that really short length so I doubt that music is affected. Infact because input impedance of amps is high I doubt resistance matters at all for interconnects.

Spaker cables on the other hand since they are only 8ohm loads, even 0.1ohm can foul up the freq response in the order of 2 - 3db.

Jun 17, 2005 at 3:03 AM Post #6 of 6
That still leaves an extra 3 wires left oh well, i got the 8 wire sheath as a freebee from work, its got some cloth insulation in the middle, so hopefully itll work alright

Thanks for the insight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back