Making Grados lil more comfy
Mar 5, 2006 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

mr56k

500+ Head-Fier
I recently purchased some Grado SR60's and then some 125's. Both have awesome sound quality but they were uncomfy to wear for several hours of listening. The headband never really botherd me because I have it bent were it feels fine now. So after work I swung by RadioShack. I purchased there 33-379 "Part #" Ear cushions. I got a 2 sets of 2. First set I did the quarter mod and put those on first. Then I put the 2nd set on right over the first without the mod. Result is way more comfy with still great sound and possibly seems like there a little less harsh on the ears on the highs. I may even try quarter modding both to see how it sounds on both my sr60's and the 125's. So for $8 it was definately worth it. Just figured I would share
k1000smile.gif

Rock on

Mar 5, 2006 at 1:31 AM Post #2 of 31
Well after farther listening I guess it made it more comfy and thats about it. It still seems like the highs in most rock music is ear piercing after say listeing for about 45mins-1hr. I switched over to my Shure e2's and even those seem to sound similiar but not ear piercing on the highs. I let my Grado Sr125's burn in for the last few days. I have been playing my whole iTunes playlist on them non stop. Anything I can do to help this? I notice some songs dont bother me as much for instance "Float on by Modest Mouse" sounds awesome where as Linkin park songs and several others sound very harsh on all the high notes such as guitar and vocals. Really weird but hopefully someone can help. I did switch from Sennheisers so maybe that has to do with it. Thanks for any help

Mar 5, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 31
Just thought I would add that all songs were ripped from my cd's to iTunes @ 320kbs . So its not a bad mp3 or bad quality.

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #4 of 31
Having heard the SR-125 and MS-1, I feel the MS-1 is by far the more palateable of the two, better balanced and better long term listenability. Since I adjusted the headband (you should see it!) I find them extremely comfy with flats and have no trouble wearing them for extended periods. The Grado's are very strident at the top and though fun, the fun can be short lived. I would suggest maybe trading in your 125 for the MS-1, you might find them more to your liking.

grado.jpg

I adjusted the headband so that there is contact completely over the head and the sides are bent outward. Probably the second most comfortable 'phones I've ever had after modification.

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:36 AM Post #5 of 31
Thanks for the info smeggy. I will try playing with the headband more. The 125's were about the extent of what I could afford so I doubt I could get the MS-1's. So you dont think the sound is gona change much even after a few more days of listening? It just seems really harsh on the ears on the highs. Also is it just me or is there alot of Fatigue with these cans? I listen for like 45mins to an hr and need a break. While these sound way better then my previous senns they are nowhere as comfy. Anything I can try to help with the harsh highs or is this is as good as its gona get?

Thanks in advance

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #6 of 31
the 125s cost $150 on headroom, and the ms-1s cost $100... you could sell the 125s for $125 or something, then buy the ms-1s from alessandro, and get back $25 (to buy the hd414 pads, if you so desired)

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:48 AM Post #7 of 31
Smeggy, I hereby award you the Hulked Headband of the Year award!
evil_smiley.gif

hulk6na1.jpg

Mar 5, 2006 at 2:52 AM Post #8 of 31
Well hopefully they should ease up a bit with use, however grado's are famous (infamous?) for their bright presentation with good reason. The MS-1 is actually cheaper than the 125 so a trade is possible but if you can, you should try to find a set to audition though that might be difficult. I enjoy mine which I traded for some Senn's recently.

The physical comfort thing is easier to fix. The headband is easily adjusted for a perfect fit, if you can see from the picture how the headband is bent you'll find it is amost pressureless on the head and also on the ears. It sits very efforlessly on the head and fits like a glove. Perfectly comfortable.

I use flats with the Quarter mod as they are very soft and because there is almost zero side pressure, the pads rest lightly on he ears and let the music flow beautifully. I believe this level of comfort is possible with any set of Grado's unless you like using the Bowl pads. I can't as they press against my ears and cause pain with my glasses. Overall I'm very happy with them and glad I traded.

Mar 5, 2006 at 3:05 AM Post #10 of 31
Thanks guys for all the help. I played with the headband some more "didnt wanna break it" and I actually bent it and its far better now. Before it felt like a vice on my head lol. Ok so on to the next thing. Do all the Grado's have for the most part not alot of bass? I mean I can hear the bass on some songs and where its present it sounds good and tight. It just seems like some songs that I listen to dont have any bass and on other cans they do. Is this just because the Grado's are representing the song as its meant to be? Also as far as the dif pads go is sound any better bass,highs etc.. with diff earpads? If so what do you recommend for listening to rock and some rap? Also should I try messing with the eq in iTunes or just leave it on flat?

Thanks

Mar 5, 2006 at 3:18 AM Post #11 of 31
The closer to the ears the stronger the bass generally, another reason I like flats. The cheaper Grado's seem to suffer a little bit of 'one-note-bass' to my ears, not as well defined as it might be. I believe the uper Grado's are much better in this respect but I cannot say personally as I haven't heard them. The bass should be pretty good though, I don't find the MS-1 or 125 lacking in this regard. Again, this may improve as time goes on. In the meantime, a little EQ never hurt anyone. Ignore the purists who say EQ is evil and the work of the devil, if you like how it sounds then it is right for you.

Mar 5, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #13 of 31
c-pads are just the standard comfies right? Ones with no hole or anything in them right? If so thats what im using now but I did the quarter mod that several places recommend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back