Making Fiio Q1 Mark II DAC working with Samsung Galaxy S8
Oct 15, 2018 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SplintX

New Head-Fier
Disclaimer: Well, this method *should* work with any Android phone (theoretically), but I could make it work with Samsung Galaxy S8. So try at your own risk if you have another Android device. I will not be responsible if anything happens to your device following this workaround.

Today I got my Fiio Q1 Mark II on my hand. I use Galaxy S8. As I don't have a USB-C Male to Micro USB Male cable, my first try was using a Micro USB OTG Cable (which was a crappy idea) and the USB C charging cable that comes with the phone.

As the OTG cable was connected to the DAC, the DAC became the host. And the connection didn't work (I really should have though about that earlier).

Then I found a USB-C to regular USB dongle in the S8 box. I connected that to the phone, and then connected just a regular USB to Micro USB cable in that dongle and the DAC. This time, the DAC started charging. So I became sure that the connection is done properly this time.

Though connection was good, still the sound was not being processed in the DAC, rather, the music was coming from the phone speakers.

Update: I was pissed off with this complex cable connection. So bought one CL06 cable from Fiio. Now the phone isn't charging the DAC anymore and the phone battery is saved.

After searching in the Internet for a while, I found a workaround (can't remember where). That solved the issue for me.

Here is the workaround. Please note, this is for Android Oreo. Not sure if the following options are available at lower Android versions.

At first, you will need to enable the Developer Options on your phone. For doing that, go to the Android system settings. Now scroll down all the way until you see "Device information" – Tap on it. Next, select "Software info" and you will see the "Build number" entry in the next submenu. Tap the "Build number" entry several times until you see the message "Developer options enabled".

Go back to your Android system Settings. Scroll down and enter in the Developer options section. Scroll down and look for the "USB configuration" option. Tap on it and select "Audio Source". Make sure your DAC is not connected to your phone before selecting this option.

Aaaaand you are done. Now connect your DAC to your phone and it should start working. At least, it did for me.

I hope it will help someone having similar issue like me. All the best :)

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2018 at 8:16 PM Post #4 of 8
Check the new FiiO CL06 data cable (short USB-C to Micro USB).
It's a great companion for the Q1 Mark II as it allows the DAC to work without using energy from the android phone.

Oct 22, 2018 at 1:04 AM Post #6 of 8
It's a great companion for the Q1 Mark II as it allows the DAC to work without using energy from the android phone.
Exactly. I bought one CL06 in two days after this post. Was just lazy to update in the thread :zzz:
But thanks for mentioning it. That cable is a great one.

Jan 30, 2019 at 7:17 PM Post #8 of 8

Tried 2 different cables with my Note 9 - Q1 ii combo. One from A**z*n, and one from eb*Y. The 1st admittedly didn't actually say it was true OTG, (although plenty of clueless punters said different in the reviews) and it was the only short option available. It was made well enough and worked to a fashion but constantly charged my dac. The fleabay option said it WAS otg and WOULDN'T charge my device but it was a crock...It was exactly the same. Then almost as a last resort tried this little number. Have to say, after the previous two, I was sceptical. Plugged it in and ... hold breath ... VOILÀ!! Worked a charm, looks fab, is so neat, compact and built beautifully but the real treat, no effing charging. Don't bother debating, researching, or contemplating other connections. Do yourself a favour and get the gem that is the Fii0 CL06

Users who are viewing this thread

Back