Making DVD-A's and SACD's
May 18, 2003 at 7:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Orpheus

Headphoneus Supremus
hi.

well... i've started recording everything in 96khz/24bit now on my computer, and files are starting to get big! i mean, one single song project on nuendo now takes up 1-3 gigs! so.... i can't even fit a single song on a CD-ROM anymore. i was thinking of getting myself a DVD-RAM drive now for backups.

anyway, my questions is, can we create DVD-A's on DVD-RAM drives? how 'bout SACD's? or do i need special equipment? if so, can these disks be played in any consumer player?--or do you need one that specifically says it can read RAM disks? also, what software is needed to make these disks?

i figure, since my originals now are all hi-res.... might as well try to put out some DVD-A's.

thanks.

May 18, 2003 at 7:47 AM Post #2 of 11
I think the answer is NO to all of the above (yet). I don't even think you can technically record 24/96 DVDs - except as a data file of course (not something that will play in your DVD player). 6 ch 24/96 or two ch 24/192 both would be out.
And SACDs...I'm not holding my breath. Do you think SONY wants consumers to have recording capability on their new high-end format? No way. They're a record company, too, and we all know how the RIAA loves their copy protection. Creating a consumer-writable version would be a pandora's box indeed.
There's no reason why DVD_A wouldn't be doable sometime in the near future, I just haven't seen anything for consumers out now.

May 18, 2003 at 7:55 AM Post #3 of 11
that's an interesting point. i never thought about SACD like that. perhaps that is Sony's attempt at copy protection huh?

well, if it is, it's gonna kill the format, just like all other attempts at copy-protection. for one thing.... the most popular recording formats are PCM. hell, even i can record 96/24.... and so do many home-studio owners. it's just so logical to be able to make DVD-A's someday. if sony wants their format to be widely accepted, they should open it to the consumer too... and start making some affordable DSD equipment.

but anyway.............. so, is he right?--can't make DVD-A's on home computers? anyone know more about this?--how much longer 'till there are consumer DVD-A recorders?

.....damn, i really need to be able to back up these songs/projects. they are killing my hard drive.

May 18, 2003 at 1:34 PM Post #4 of 11
As far as I know, a standard for recordable DVD-As is currently still in the making - iirc, it's going to be called DVD-AR.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

May 18, 2003 at 5:24 PM Post #5 of 11
Why don't you just get some external hard drives? I've seen them go for as low as 100$ each. You can buy 120 Gig drives that go directly out of the USB or firewire ports. My friends who do film editing use these to store their movies.

May 19, 2003 at 3:49 PM Post #7 of 11
I got curious so after some google search:

http://www.discwelder.com make some software DVD-A

light version Steel 495$ makeing stereo DVD-A 24bit 192Khz or 6 chanel 48khz

That the most affordable soulution i found

the Chrome version 2495$ making full feature DVD-A

www.sadie.com have some stereo only SACD workstation. I think they go for around $30000(I may be compleatly wrong here I found the price in one page from a non official source that I lost and cannot find again) . Multichanel SACD they only made in 3 sony factory.

Note the info is only trough a recent Google search so it may not be accurate or fully up to date.

May 19, 2003 at 4:02 PM Post #9 of 11
If you go to their website and click on the VS image between the 2 version you get all the feature and yes they Supports DVD-R, R/W, +RW, and DVD-RAM drives

Quote:

Both STEEL and CHROME use a dynamic library to support every recordable DVD format and nearly every drive currently on the market. If a new drive or format is introduced that differs from previous ones, the library can be "patched" to support the new drive or format by a compact download from Minnetonka Audio's website.

That only marketting. but they claim to support every format on earth

and Steel has been specialy create to make DVD-A at home.

May 20, 2003 at 4:48 AM Post #11 of 11
Yeah, even if your software will burn a DVD-A onto a DVD-RAM drive, it won't necessarily play in any DVD-A player -- usually only DVD-R will work (it's a format thing).

I thought discwelder lite was more limited than that? (I.E., last I looked, it didn't go up to 192 kHz, even if only in stereo mode. If they have since changed that limitation, I may just have to invest in it, myself. I've got that Sony "universal" drive -- CD+/-R[W]/DVD+/-R[W])

Users who are viewing this thread

Back