Making DIY Headphone Cups are there any resources?
Apr 20, 2018 at 2:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

loki993

500+ Head-Fier
I see a relatively fair amount of Fostex Th-x00 and Emu Teaks around since massdrop started selling them. They have 3 different TH-x00 woods, Emu has teak and sells a bunch of different wood cups separately , Lawton audio sells a lot of different woods and all for quite a bit of money. The Cups themselves appear to be very easy to swap out. Seems perfect for DIYing to me.

So I've just bought a pair of these headphones and I've alway been interested in tinkering and woodworking so I'm thinking it may be fun to mess around with making my own cups for these.

Here is the issue though I can't seem to find anything on how to do it. I mean I'm pretty sure I can figure out how to make a round cup that fits on the headphones easy enough, that shouldn't be too hard, but when you take in to what affects the sound a lot more goes into it. Cup volume, shape, wood thickness, wood type, venting not venting etc....I can't find anything that goes into any of that. Or how to make a good sounding wooden cup.

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #2 of 4
Hi,

I have the Fostex TH-X00 Ebony and Purpleheart, and was considering replacing the wooden chambers myself.
Before doing that I was researching about a detachable cable mod, so I removed the wood cups to see what I have to deal with in order to install a 3.5mm/2.5mm socket.
Just out of curiosity I tried listening to the TH-X00 without the wood cups. Did you ever try this?
"Open-back TH-X00" sound more wide-imaging and warm in the low end, with better bass extension IMO. Less neutral, but much more fun and enjoyable.
Now I'm confused and unsure if I want to replace the wood cups at all. Very interesting to hear your opinion about this.

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #3 of 4
I have not, I dont even have the headphones yet, but its definitely something I could try when I get them. I would imagine that taking to cups off would alter the sound to a point where they wouldn't sounds like X00s anymore. I would imagine they would lose not of their bass slam, but you dont think so?

Apr 21, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #4 of 4
I would imagine they would lose not of their bass slam
With the wood cups removed, my TH-X00 gained a bass boost to the point that it physically shook the headphones. It was like all that intensity in the low range was suddenly unleashed. My guess is that the wood cups are there to tame the bass and keep it in check. Now I try contacting other TH-X00 owners to confirm this.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back