make the noises stop!
Jan 22, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #16 of 20
I posted this thread last week...now I'm back.

I have gotten to know the speaker pops a little bit better and I do not think they are RF interference related. The pops are generally a few minutes apart, sometimes they run in a fit every 10 seconds or so, but occaionally from startup until shutdown my speakers make no popping whatsoever, no matter what songs I play or tasks I perform. It is like the problem magically disappears until I restart my computer, then it is reborn after I boot it back up (it doesn't seem to me that RF interference would come and go like this).

Now I'm leaning toward a driver problem (I'm running vista 64-bit). Other than installing a different OS, is there anything I can do to try and remedy my problem? My E-MU card has ASIO plug-ins, but I installed ASIO4ALL and maxed out the buffer size, but I don't understand the program well enough, or my computer drivers in general, to know whether or not that would change ALL off the audio settings on my computer, or if it works only during playback in certain programs. In any case, it has no effect whatsoever on my popping trouble.

The speaker pops are not connected to any program--my woes are general, audi-related ones. Any time my computer plays audible noises, my speakers run the risk of popping.

I am on the verge of sending my soundcard back and purchasing an external DAC, but when my troubles magically disappear for a series of hours, I am given hope that I can make my current setup work.

All suggestions appreciated.

Jan 22, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #17 of 20
I doubt it would be a RF issue .. and if you did spend money for a DAC that would most likely fix the problem, you don't know whether it would be due to switching to the USB bus or externalizing.

Jan 22, 2009 at 1:49 AM Post #18 of 20
So what are you saying? That getting an external DAC won't elucidate what's going on with my computer currently, but that I should forget about it and do so anyway because it'll most likely fix me up?

Jan 22, 2009 at 2:30 AM Post #19 of 20
There is another possibility which I just discovered quite unfortunately myself. Some "Draft n" wireless adapters cause a general stuttering in all audio (and video) unless you install "Marvell - Network - Wireless-N USB Network Adapter" from windows update. The other thing you should try is running your whole system off another source. This would eliminate the faulty wiring, cables, or the speakers themselves as the source of your problem.

And no you didn't waste $150, the emu is an excellent sound card for recording and playback. However, having a discrete power supply and isolation from electric and magnetic fields is decidedly advantageous in your source. Good luck.

And on a side note TopPop's avatar looks just like my Grandpa.

Jan 22, 2009 at 2:44 AM Post #20 of 20
Well, not so good at playback currently (and unfortunately, that is all that I use it for currently).

This computer is hooked up to the internet via an ethernet cable, so no interference there.

I'll try powering from another source, but I have a small apartment with crummy wiring throughout, so don't imagine that'll affect my setup (in an attempt to lessen the draw on my chosen outlet (monitors, monitor, computer, desk lamp) I already tried plugging my powered monitors into a different outlet. Alas, to no avail).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back