Make the "Featured Content" on the front page optional
Sep 14, 2010 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dfkt

Headphoneus Supremus
Since the front page is the equivalent of every other forum's UserCP, it's where my subscribed threads can be found.

Now that this new "featured content" is on top of the front page, I have to scroll down to get to my threads, which is rather annoying in the long run. Especially since the two "featured content" advertisements are rather huge (and who knows how often they change content - I've already read both threads long before they were "featured").

Could that please be made optional? At least for logged in users, I guess for visitors it is quite useful eyecandy on the front page. Or maybe it could be moved to the right side bar, where the other advertisements are?

Sep 14, 2010 at 9:20 AM Post #2 of 14
Seconded.  However, you can click on "Subscriptions" top right and get the same page without the extra stuff, which is what I'm doing now.

Sep 14, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 14
Thanks, that works just fine. Never really used it before because of the front page option. It's a bit confusing with three places showing relevant threads (and the "recent activity" one in "my profile" even showing threads I already unsubscribed from - that's why I don't use it).

Sep 14, 2010 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 14
Don't forget that the front page is often the first place visitors come when they arrive at Head-fi.  Putting some interesting content for them there is a good idea.

Sep 14, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #5 of 14
Indeed it is. Thus my suggestion to make it optional for registered users, like the green on/off buttons for products/forums/profiles/wikis. But now I'm using the subscriptions page thanks to your suggestion, and all is well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 14, 2010 at 8:41 PM Post #6 of 14
Yeah I was of a similar opinion until they changed the featured articles today. I actually found some things of interest and saw the merit in the idea.
I'm not against it being optional, but for me I'm now discovering the "Subscriptions" page.

Sep 16, 2010 at 6:01 AM Post #7 of 14
I agree. hate the new layout with featured content at top.
at least before it was at the bottom and I could see my subscription when head-fi loaded.. now i have to scroll down to see if any new posts are made to the threads I have subscribed!

Sep 16, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #8 of 14
Agreed. The featured content is not updated so often and I've already read what I wanted to.

Sep 16, 2010 at 7:53 AM Post #9 of 14
+1 for switching it back

Sep 22, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
Ok I think it's a bit much now. Having both the scrolling panel AND the featured content bellow it is overkill. One or the other please?

X2, +1, etc, etc

Sep 23, 2010 at 7:35 AM Post #14 of 14
I bookmarked my subscriptions page, so I go there first now.  Problem solved. Now if only the list was full-width...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back