Major n00b! Please Help! Audio Technicas M50S or Soundmagic HP100?
Dec 3, 2012 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

nokialover

100+ Head-Fier
Basically I want to get a good pair of headphones that I will be using with my smartphone(nokia lumia 920) and want a good pair for my laptop too(Lenovo yogapad).  I like to listen to electronic music but not always, and want to know what would be the better buy.  I have been researching during the last week and think that these may be the headphones that I will buy. From what I read the M50S is really popular but the soundmagic apparently had better sound and are underrated.  So any advice for these headphones or any other will be good.  I have only had 20$ earphones that I kept lost that most of the time were uncomfortable.  Now I want comfortable headphones.  Any advice appreciated. 

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #3 of 26
Not sure about running the HP100s unamped (I've heard it's wise to amp them, and did so when I owned them), but compared to the M50s (which I owned twice, and found underwhelming/boring), I was blown away by the HP100s.  They are extremely clean and clear, and darn near neutral, but vocals are slightly forward in a very enjoyable way.  Neither has extreme bass, though, so you might look elsewhere if that's an important criterion for you (DT 770 Pro-80?).  IIRC, comfort is about equal for both.  I think the HP100s are more comfortable initially.  As far as value, since the M50s can be found for about half the price of the HP100s, I think that's appropriate, since the M50s didn't really do anything for me, but I was very impressed by the HP100s.

Dec 3, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #4 of 26
I will be using the headphones unamped. I am coming from very low quality earphones worth 20$. Are there any other headphones that will work well for smartphones laptops and unamped that you would recommend?

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #5 of 26
anyone else have an opinion?

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:50 AM Post #7 of 26
First of all, you need to calm yourself down. Bumping is done on a 24h period, not less.

Now, considering you listen mainly to EDM but also to different genres that would benefit from a balanced sound, I'd recommend getting the Ultrasone HFI-780, balanced and with more clarity than either headphones you listed.

Dec 4, 2012 at 6:11 AM Post #8 of 26
HP100 are a lot! Better than M50.

That's all I have to say

Dec 4, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 26
I am very sorry. I am being a bit ancy because I am used to other forums where you get replies in around 10-15 minutes. I will be traveling soon and this is why I am ancy. Ultrasone HFI-780 are these headphones good unamped? Thanks a lot though. I appreciate the help.

Dec 4, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #10 of 26
Quote:
I am very sorry. I am being a bit ancy because I am used to other forums where you get replies in around 10-15 minutes. I will be traveling soon and this is why I am ancy. Ultrasone HFI-780 are these headphones good unamped? Thanks a lot though. I appreciate the help.

The HFI-780 do sound good straight from the source, but they do improve with additional amplification.

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #11 of 26
What would be the best unamped headphones for my need? I will not be buying headphones very often so I want something that is versatile for my needs. I plan on keeping a pair for a while.

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:10 PM Post #12 of 26
You don't plan on buying a headphone amp?

And I stand by the HFI-780 recommendation.

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:34 PM Post #13 of 26
well from hearing the improved results looks like i will have to. But for the times would I am home an amp could be plausible. I have not done any research in amps. So the 780's are going to better than my choices? well than i am gonna start looking on amazon see what the best price will be. thanks a lot

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:
well from hearing the improved results looks like i will have to. But for the times would I am home an amp could be plausible. I have not done any research in amps. So the 780's are going to better than my choices? well than i am gonna start looking on amazon see what the best price will be. thanks a lot

Yes, it will.

You can get a portable amp, like a PA2V2 or a Fiio E11, that can be used while on the go as well as at home. Do keep in mind that while both amps cost around the same, the PA2V2 has better driving capability than the E11, its batteries lasts around 100 hours and can be used while charging. The E11's battery lasts around 10 hours and can't be used while charging. The E11's only point in favor over the PA2V2 is the form factor, and this is a debatable point.

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #15 of 26
http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-780-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00101XVH2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top
these are the right ones right? my only worry at this point is the comfort. How comfortable are these because is important.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back