Mainline: New Bottlehead Premium Headphone Amp!
Mar 3, 2015 at 11:06 AM Post #61 of 78
No, but I just recently read the LCD-X are intended to be run from low power sources. Ie, you can run them from a well powered portable source.  I suspect the the low impedance setting would do them justice.

https://www.audeze.com/products/headphones/lcd-x

Mar 30, 2017 at 9:17 AM Post #62 of 78
Has anyone compared the Schiit MJOLNIR 2 with a mainline? Sure, there the fun of building mainline, but there's also something to be said for plug and play.

Apr 27, 2017 at 4:12 AM Post #63 of 78
Has anyone compared the Schiit MJOLNIR 2 with a mainline? Sure, there the fun of building mainline, but there's also something to be said for plug and play.

I've heard both unfortunately not in a quiet room. Based on listening to the MJ2 at CanJam I'd put the Mainline more in category of of the Ragnarok than the MJ2. At least with the HD800, it punches much harder than the MJ2 and has tighter and better controlled bass. Though I'll admit I like the MJ2 better with my Ether C.

If I ever get up to the Schittr I may draw a more detailed comparison but that'll be a month or two.

FYI the Mainline is a major step up from the Crack, which it appears you own. If you like your Crack, the Mainline will have you weeping with joy.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #64 of 78
And there is the sale! $250 off

We thought that, in honor of our upcoming annual Head Fi users meet at Bottleheadquarters on May 6th, we would run a sale on the Mainline headphone amp. The sale runs through Sunday May 7th. As usual delivery will be 4 to 6 weeks and orders will ship in the orderr [sic] they have been placed - early orders get the kit soonest!

http://bottlehead.com/?product=mainline-headphone-amplifier-kit

Mar 27, 2018 at 5:51 PM Post #65 of 78
Just completed my Mainline, worked first time and plays wonderfully....using high impedance T1's aqnd T90s....they never sounded so good!

An exceptional simple design that just works, and very well!

Alex

Apr 26, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #66 of 78
My mainline build is done! Can I hear a difference between the Mainline and the Magni3 or the Black Widow 2? Barely. Still, I really enjoyed the build and love looking at it. I can certainly hear a difference between the mainline and the crack. The crack is very tube dependent, and with the right set of tubes it can sound great. That said, it has a slightly different sound than the mainline. Hard for me to describe.

I have about 15 more coats of poly wipe to do, then it will get the Bottlehead badge.

I used black metallic paint on the plate. Knobs are from AliExpress.

9937701_l.jpg

9937702_l.jpg

9937703_l.jpg

9937704_l.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 9:05 PM Post #67 of 78
Great Job Allan!

I am enjoying mine as well....the Crack I have sounds very good as well but its definitely different. The Mainline to me just has a better overal soundstage and presence.
I was thinking of selling the Crack but its still too good IMO to part with....

Alex

Aug 31, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #68 of 78
So, I wanted a power light. I can't see the tube glow, and I keep leaving the amp on. I posted on the Bottlehead Mainline Thread over at BH, and got some good ideas.

I had some leftover LEDs and 220 Ohm resistors from a Pi project, and I tried them, and they worked! The picture shows the "underglow". The room is dark, so it's a little exaggerated, but with normal room lighting (which is on the lower side), I can definitely see it. I think a it might even be more better with a clear top.

9938422_l.jpg

Sep 20, 2019 at 9:57 AM Post #69 of 78
I just got a set of Focal Clears and was worried how the Mainline would work with low impedance cans, the Clears are rated at 55 ohms.

Well fears gone, ablsolutely sublime....there is not a recording that I can not look into and take apart....its that nice.

Much better than other great cans, like the T1's and HD 600's...

Focal and Mainline is close to the end game here....using a Schitt BIFROST MB with the new Unison (tm) USB interface from Schitt.
( a beta loaner board for 1st gen Birfost's to be out in Jan 2020 timeframe).

Keep trying to go back to T1's and others but cant keep the dang Clears off my head!!

So if your concerned about how well low impedance cans work, well these at 55 ohms work just fine!
Alex

Oct 6, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #70 of 78
I just got a set of Focal Clears and was worried how the Mainline would work with low impedance cans, the Clears are rated at 55 ohms.

Well fears gone, ablsolutely sublime....there is not a recording that I can not look into and take apart....its that nice.

Much better than other great cans, like the T1's and HD 600's...

Focal and Mainline is close to the end game here....using a Schitt BIFROST MB with the new Unison (tm) USB interface from Schitt.
( a beta loaner board for 1st gen Birfost's to be out in Jan 2020 timeframe).

Keep trying to go back to T1's and others but cant keep the dang Clears off my head!!

So if your concerned about how well low impedance cans work, well these at 55 ohms work just fine!
Alex

Alex,

I couldn't agree more! I thought the Sennheiser HD800S would be my endgame, then I hitched up the Clears. Together, the pairing delivers precisely the sound I want. I'm probably going to sell the 800Ss, since I listen primarily to ZMF Auteurs with my Crack and Clears with my Mainline. Others' opinions may vary from mine, but no matter. I'm happy.

Best,

Joe.

Oct 6, 2019 at 4:47 PM Post #71 of 78
My mainline build is done! Can I hear a difference between the Mainline and the Magni3 or the Black Widow 2? Barely. Still, I really enjoyed the build and love looking at it. I can certainly hear a difference between the mainline and the crack. The crack is very tube dependent, and with the right set of tubes it can sound great. That said, it has a slightly different sound than the mainline. Hard for me to describe.

I have about 15 more coats of poly wipe to do, then it will get the Bottlehead badge.

I used black metallic paint on the plate. Knobs are from AliExpress.

9937701_l.jpg

9937702_l.jpg

9937703_l.jpg

9937704_l.jpg

Clean build! Very nice!!

Joe.

Oct 6, 2019 at 6:35 PM Post #72 of 78
Joe....

I was looking at the HD800s and the Clears and thought after my HD600 experience ( a good one) I would buy the 800s and see how well the Senn house sound with a outstanding soundstage would be...I was told I should go audition the Focals and I didnt know a local dealer here in Raleigh, NC a few miles away had these for audition....so off I went and on the first note and drum and bass notes...I knew I had to get a set. Its the "sound" I have been looking for ....for several years...

My T1's and other cans just "pale" in comparison to the overall wonderful tonality and accuracy.....just a really very nice musical set of headphones.

Things just sound right...natural, clear, not boomy in the least...have body and weight.

Alex

Oct 6, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #73 of 78
Joe....

I was looking at the HD800s and the Clears and thought after my HD600 experience ( a good one) I would buy the 800s and see how well the Senn house sound with a outstanding soundstage would be...I was told I should go audition the Focals and I didnt know a local dealer here in Raleigh, NC a few miles away had these for audition....so off I went and on the first note and drum and bass notes...I knew I had to get a set. Its the "sound" I have been looking for ....for several years...

My T1's and other cans just "pale" in comparison to the overall wonderful tonality and accuracy.....just a really very nice musical set of headphones.

Things just sound right...natural, clear, not boomy in the least...have body and weight.

Alex
I feel the same way, but I went a slightly different Focal route. I will say the TH900 stills gets quite a bit of play time as well, but many headphones were sold after I got the Utopias.

May 11, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #75 of 78
If someone has a moment I have a pretty dumb question regarding adjusting the bias on the mainline! Please send me a PM if you could, I would greatly appreciate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back