Mahler VIII
May 12, 2006 at 4:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

augustwest

Headphoneus Supremus
Check out this glowing review of the new Mahler 8 on Naxos.

Featuring: Antoni Wit
Warsaw National Philharmonic Choir & Orchestra; Polish Radio Choir (Kraków); Cardinal Stefan Wyszynski University Choir; Warsaw Boy's Choir

Naxos- 8.550533.34(CD)

excerpt:
There are now Mahler Eighths for just about every taste. Bertini is lean and lively, but with amazing codas to each movement. Nagano is lush, even decadent. There are also fine earlier versions from Bernstein (Sony), Tennstedt (EMI), Sinopoli (DG), and Solti (Decca), and an impressive if technically flawed live version from Kubelik (Audite). But if you want to hear a performance that combines the best of just about all of the competing versions and offers the most accurate sense of what the piece really does (or should) sound like live, then this is the way to go. The fact that it's available at budget price is a bonus: you would pay twice as much with pleasure to enjoy an interpretation on this level of excellence. What an extraordinary and delightful surprise!

link for full review -
< http://www.classicstoday.com/review.asp?ReviewNum=9914 >

- augustwest

May 12, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #2 of 5
I have been surprised at the positive response to this record, and when I see a copy, I will pick it up. The "house bias" at ClassicsToday is toward a somewhat more analytical, less emotional approach (thus the high marks for Gary Bertini across the board). We'll see, as inexpensive as it is, I can't see the risk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back