magnifying
Dec 31, 2004 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Strogian

100+ Head-Fier
OK, here's another question for you guys:

I've been looking into ways of magnifying what I see, partially to see the parts more closely, and partly to be able to sit further away from the soldering iron (heat + flux ugh..) when I'm working.

I like the idea of clip-on lenses (loupes they're called I think), but after some looking around, the "working distance" (the distance from your eyeball to the work) never seems to be more than a foot.

First off, am I correct in my definition of working distance? Doesn't that seem like a bit small?

I was looking at this site: http://shorinternational.com/LoupeTelesight.htm
(I liked the Bausch & Lomb spectacle loupes, but their working distance is only 3 1/2 inches!! What are these for?)

Anyway, what do you guys use? Am I stupid for even looking at a lot of this stuff?
biggrin.gif

Dec 31, 2004 at 5:44 AM Post #4 of 6
If you don't need a whole lot of magnification, just pop over to the local drug store and pick up a cheap pair of reading glasses that will give you a little magnification at the distance you like (read a couple lines from a magazine as a comparaison).

Jan 4, 2005 at 5:39 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Mac
If you don't need a whole lot of magnification, just pop over to the local drug store and pick up a cheap pair of reading glasses that will give you a little magnification at the distance you like (read a couple lines from a magazine as a comparaison).

You know, that seemed like the simplest way to go, but I actually checked it out... Reading glasses don't magnify!
biggrin.gif
If anything, they do the opposite...I can only read things REALLY close to my face with it. I tried the 2x one, and my vision was screwed up for about a minute afterwards.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back