Magni vs Asgard 2?
Oct 31, 2014 at 5:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

heckofagator

New Head-Fier
Hi all,

I'm still deciding between a sound card and an external dac like the Modi, but for now, I just wanted to make sure I had the amp section figured out.

I have desktop speakers, which are my primary listening device at my desk.  If I get the Modi, I'll have to manually switch on/off the speakers when I use headphones?  As opposed with the Asgard 2 with the pre-outs, I can have the speakers hooked up the whole time and they will mute when I plug in the headphones?

I guess I'm trying to figure out if that's a good $150 spent.  I assume the amp section is a bit better with the Asgard 2, too?

Oct 31, 2014 at 9:55 AM Post #2 of 8
Do you actually have to switch them off? If I use a different sound source on my computer I just go into my sound settings and disable what I don't want to use and enable what I'm currently using. No messing no unplugging...

Im not sure about the muting thing

Nov 2, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 8
If you hook the speakers up to the RCA preamp outputs of the Asgard, they will be muted whenever you plug headphones into the headphone port.  The output doesn't change on the PC.

The Modi is a DAC, not an amp, so the outputs of the Modi need to go to some type of Amp.  If you are referring to the Magni, it doesn't have RCA outputs, so you would need to turn the volume down/unplug the headphones if you were going to use the speakers

Nov 2, 2014 at 6:31 PM Post #4 of 8
So yeah, I think I understand. I'm trying to decide between and amp with pre outs and one without, and if that's worth $150.

With the magni, I think I need a y cable out of the dac or sound card, one way to the magni and the other way to the speakers? Then I would want to unplug or turn down the amp when listening to speakers and likewise, I'd need to turn off the speakers when listening to the headphones.

But with the Asgard 2, it'd be straight out from the dac or sound card into the Asgard, and then pre outs to the speakers. Then you simply plug in the head phones to listen to them and unplug them to listen to the speakers.

Nov 2, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #5 of 8
Correct.  You could also get the Sys from Schiit, and run it in reverse, so the switch determines which output is active

http://schiit.com/products/sys-passive-preamp

I'd probably lean towards the Asgard though.

Nov 4, 2014 at 12:01 PM Post #8 of 8
  How would you run the Sys from Schiit in reverse?

http://www.head-fi.org/t/715525/avant-le-schiitstorm-a-couple-of-small-announcements/15#post_10480938 (also in the FAQ on schiit.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back