Magni 3 Impressions
Nov 2, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #841 of 2,593
Bifrost Multibit > Jotunheim > HD650 (balanced) and HE500 (balanced).

On initial listen the amp sounded quite dark. Also the soundscape sounded very left channel, right channel centric. My initial impresseion was that the amp sounded very strange so I just left it on all day and night fed by a source in continuous play mode. The next morning I gave a listen and the soundscape was noticeably more expansive with considerably more detail, almost a bit bright sounding compared to initial listening. Over the next number of days the change wasn't as starkly noticeable however the amp seemed to settle in nicely becoming cleaner more refined sounding. When I push the volume up the headphones sound very clean and there is no harshness to the sound (unlike the Magni and Magni 2U I owned earler). I can attest that the HD650's do indeed scale with improved amplification as they sound very good indeed with no hint of veil in their signature (once again, unlike my first Magni).

Call it what you want, burn-in, breaking-in period, settliing-in...whatever? All that I can say is that there was a noticeable (and memorable) improvement in sound quality with this amp.
Have you left it on since you got it?
If you turn it off for a while and then turn it back on, how does it sound?

Nov 2, 2017 at 10:28 PM Post #845 of 2,593
The best way to determine if a new upgrade is really as good or bad as you originally surmise is to listen to it for a week or so without switching back and forth. Then, after you've gotten used to the new "flavor", go back and switch in the old component. I've often found that a change I thought was subtle, or even a downgrade, turns out to sound way better than I thought my old setup did after getting accustomed to the sound over weeks/months/years. It really depends on your experience, all the components in a chain working (or failing to work) together, and your ears and brain adjusting to the sound.

There's also that new gear honeymoon phase that wears off after a week or two.

I think the Magni 3 is a wonderful amp, especially for the 99 bucks it costs If you find you have a spot in the frequency spectrum that needs a little attention, pair it with a dash of digital EQ (or a Loki if that's the way you swing). You'll find it does a lot of things right.

Nov 2, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #846 of 2,593
I'm currently awaiting (wishful thinking!) a reply regarding a comparison of the magni 3 with a qh4 on this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 3, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #847 of 2,593
Which drive HD600 better, Magni 3 or Vali 2? Thanks
I own both amps and like the Magni 3 with HD600 better. There is a little more bassslam but apart from that both are great matching imo.

Nov 3, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #849 of 2,593
Hey guys, just checking if you would normally have this on all the time? I'm finding it goes to the warm side after a few hours use (I'm the kind of person who usually have the pc on 24/7). Normally, I have my speakers connected to it but I have reverted back to my pc and use my stack just for music for the time being.

Nov 3, 2017 at 9:45 AM Post #851 of 2,593
I'm currently awaiting (wishful thinking!) a reply regarding a comparison of the magni 3 with a qh4 on this thread.

I have these both, but except for the first day when I first received the QH4, they have not been in the same place -- I left my Magni 3 up here at work where I use it and I'm very happy with it, and I took my Samson QH4 home where I use it and I'm very happy with it as well.

I really couldn't tell any difference at all between them as far as sound quality on the one day I did have them in the same location. Maybe my ears are just not discerning enough, or maybe both amps just do a great job at doing what I perceive is their only function, to amplify the signal.

The only difference I could discern is that the QH4 could get louder than the Magni 3 -- but both got far louder than I could stand to listen to on my HE-500 and T20RP MK3 -- when I got past a certain point, I took them off my ears before increasing the volume, they were so loud. The QH4 just got louder than the Magni 3, but I didn't measure anything, it was just by ear.

As far as looks, well, no contest there, the QH4 looks goofy with the bright green accents and the cheap plastic top, and the Magni 3 looks magnificent. :beyersmile:

I don't believe I can offer you any more insight other than that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 3, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #852 of 2,593
Oh, one more question, how about soundstage? Which one is larger or very similar?
The soundstage is also very much alike. If i remember correctly the magni 3 is a tad wider.

Nov 3, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #854 of 2,593
I have these both, but except for the first day when I first received the QH4, they have not been in the same place -- I left my Magni 3 up here at work where I use it and I'm very happy with it, and I took my Samson QH4 home where I use it and I'm very happy with it as well.

I really couldn't tell any difference at all between them as far as sound quality on the one day I did have them in the same location. Maybe my ears are just not discerning enough, or maybe both amps just do a great job at doing what I perceive is their only function, to amplify the signal.

The only difference I could discern is that the QH4 could get louder than the Magni 3 -- but both got far louder than I could stand to listen to on my HE-500 and T20RP MK3 -- when I got past a certain point, I took them off my ears before increasing the volume, they were so loud. The QH4 just got louder than the Magni 3, but I didn't measure anything, it was just by ear.

As far as looks, well, no contest there, the QH4 looks goofy with the bright green accents and the cheap plastic top, and the Magni 3 looks magnificent. :beyersmile:

I don't believe I can offer you any more insight other than that.

Ahhh! The reply! Ive been waiting with baited breath! Lol :) - I appreciate your response. Thanks you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back