Magni 3 Impressions
Oct 28, 2017 at 11:34 AM Post #796 of 2,593
IIRC, Schiit changed the slope on the pot to allow better control for more sensitive phones. That would mean the pot would be designed to put out less power at lower settings, and then ramp up more quickly at higher settings.

I think others have talked about how sensitive the pot is past about 1 to 2 o'clock, which is in line with this arrangement.

I don't know the slope, but let's assume 1/4 power is in the first half of the pot movement, you re going to have to get past 12 o'clock just to get above 1/4 power.

I get that, it’s not linear, I know that, but I’m way past 12 o’clock - the bottom line I was trying to get it is that at full volume, the QH4 is definitely louder than the Magni 3 on my HE-500 (and no, they weren’t on my ears when I tested that! )

Oct 28, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #797 of 2,593
I get that, it’s not linear, I know that, but I’m way past 12 o’clock - the bottom line I was trying to get it is that at full volume, the QH4 is definitely louder than the Magni 3 on my HE-500 (and no, they weren’t on my ears when I tested that! )
Do you know the gain of the QH4? Output impedance? I could not find this information on their website. These could answer why the QH4 is louder.

Oct 28, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #798 of 2,593
Volume controls are decidedly non-linear because our hearing is non-linear. To make something sound "twice as loud" takes 100 times the power, for example, and twice as much power is barely noticeable to the average person. My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is that an audio-taper potentiometer is at 10% in the 12 o'clock position. I don't know what Jason did to make Magni 3 provide more fine control at lower level settings, but he did say that it did indeed do that.

Oct 28, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #799 of 2,593
Do you know the gain of the QH4? Output impedance? I could not find this information on their website. These could answer why the QH4 is louder.

I'm afraid I don't know either output impedance nor gain specs on the QH4. In any case, it really was just a quick impression between it and the Magni 3. The Magni 3 definitely goes louder than I can stand on the HE-500 and the other headphones I tested, including the T50RP MK3.

Oct 28, 2017 at 3:01 PM Post #800 of 2,593
...I sent it back though, I need more powah...
Wow what headphones are you driving?

The Magni 3 is more powerful than the single ended Jot and the Asgard 2, and it's only about 30% down on power from the Lyr 2 (for 300 & 600 ohm headphones)

pKnIuT9.png

Oct 28, 2017 at 4:03 PM Post #801 of 2,593
Wow what headphones are you driving?

The Magni 3 is more powerful than the single ended Jot and the Asgard 2, and it's only about 30% down on power from the Lyr 2 (for 300 & 600 ohm headphones)

pKnIuT9.png
Yup this statement confused me a lot. Either you really must be deaf or your source has a low voltage line out.

Oct 28, 2017 at 8:02 PM Post #802 of 2,593
The power from my old Jot gripped the HD650 drivers well. Bass was more impactful with strong slam. Also, the treble is very laid back on Magni 3. It's a great amp, however the Jot takes it in the lower and upper regions IMO, however some prefer the laid back treble. Strong layered and controlled bass requires some power.. not to say Magni 3 isn't strong, however it's bass/slam quality is nowhere near Jot. Sure do love Magni3 mids though.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #803 of 2,593
according the the QH4 mfg web site:
  • Output Power: 282mW per side / 564mW per channel, loaded 32Ω
http://www.samsontech.com/samson/products/processors/qh4/qh4/

I'm not sure what the difference is between per side and per channel, but let's take the higher number of 564mW into 32ohms...according to Schiit the Magni 3 is capable of 2 watts into a 32 ohm load. If those numbers are correct for both products the Magni 3 would be about 4x more powerful. So I guess you have a bit of a mystery on your hands :triportsad:

Oct 29, 2017 at 1:27 AM Post #804 of 2,593
They wanted me to send it back in so they could look at it again. Instead, I requested a replacement amp be sent out right away...while my return is in transit.

My replacement amp was an improvement but still left a lot to be desired imo. I found the solution though and have TONS of volume now with the HD650. I guess the various line cables I was using weren’t “premium” enough! I changed that.

Thank you, Monoprice!

39F5416E-EFE9-49AB-809B-7C6E3B520C00.jpeg

Oct 29, 2017 at 4:44 AM Post #805 of 2,593
Well done for the upgrade :) My 2 week old Magni 3 is sounding fantastic tonight, continuing to improve as the hours build a bit. Kimber USB cable to MusicStreamer II+, hand braided pure silver ribbon cables to the M3 and HifiMAN HE-400S cans with Focus pads finish off the set. MacBook Pro with iTunes set to 24/96kHz output, nothing fancy there. Alt-J Live at Red Rocks sounding brilliant, almost like being there, individual crowd noises are transparently obvious, the amp just even from the deepest bass to the high top end. Personally loving the amp.

Oct 29, 2017 at 1:51 PM Post #807 of 2,593

I'm not sure what the difference is between per side and per channel, but let's take the higher number of 564mW into 32ohms...according to Schiit the Magni 3 is capable of 2 watts into a 32 ohm load. If those numbers are correct for both products the Magni 3 would be about 4x more powerful. So I guess you have a bit of a mystery on your hands :triportsad:
This is in-line with what i said earlier.

Oct 29, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #808 of 2,593

My replacement amp was an improvement but still left a lot to be desired imo. I found the solution though and have TONS of volume now with the HD650. I guess the various line cables I was using weren’t “premium” enough! I changed that.

Thank you, Monoprice!

What cables were you using? Typically any cable will work.

Oct 29, 2017 at 2:44 PM Post #809 of 2,593

What cables were you using? Typically any cable will work.
I had three different cables. This one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LBK3870/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

.... another very similar to it and then your typical generic cable. As soon as I plugged in the Monoprice cable.... I got at least twice the volume. Either something was wrong with all three cables I tried before that one.... or cables do help. The Monoprice cable is a MUCH heavier gauge too.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #810 of 2,593
I had three different cables. This one https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LBK3870/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

.... another very similar to it and then your typical generic cable. As soon as I plugged in the Monoprice cable.... I got at least twice the volume. Either something was wrong with all three cables I tried before that one.... or cables do help. The Monoprice cable is a MUCH heavier gauge too.
Highly unlikely you had 3 bad cables, seems more like a issue with the RCA jack of the Magni3 where the first 3 cables didn't make good contact and the latest cable having a more solid connection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back