Magni 3 Impressions
Jun 23, 2018 at 2:46 AM Post #1,741 of 2,593
Well, for one, how much the volume is lowered by is dependent on the specific equalization. You pay around $100 for this because it's no generic equalization. It's a flattening of each supported headphone. I think they tested a bunch of each to come up with a frequency response graph, and you can even send in your own for an individual eq but that's an extra $100 and it appears unnecessary but who knows. With the LCD-X a number of us were impressed, including myself. I found the value to be terrific and a must. Might depend on the headphone model.

Jun 23, 2018 at 8:32 AM Post #1,742 of 2,593
No, the problem would lie with the Magni 3. Sonarworks applies equalization and then has an option to lower the volume at some point to avoid clipping or distortion, which is normally done with equalization. The amp then has to compensate. Sonarworks is just as great a value at its price and I might argue a much greater value than the Magni 3, so the amp has to compensate (even though Sonarworks should be replicable for free). If the Magni 3 doesn't actually go loud enough, which surprises me frankly, then it might just not be the proper fit although it does appear to have exceptional power too. Overall it does appear to be excellent value for the money, but sennsay sounds like he or she is describing something that costs 10 times as much, with which I would disagree. Nonetheless, perhaps that's a genuine impression if a little embellished. It's good enough to say it's excellent value, and it's something you can be satisfied with.

The Magni 3 absolutely has more than enough power for HD-650s.
{Either the Magni 3 is defective
OR
There is a problem somewhere else in the chain
ELSE
User error};

Jun 23, 2018 at 9:40 AM Post #1,743 of 2,593
The Magni 3 absolutely has more than enough power for HD-650s.
{Either the Magni 3 is defective
OR
There is a problem somewhere else in the chain
ELSE
User error};

I agree....I have run what people say are hard to drive headphones and my Magni 3 can drive them louder then I could ever stand....and that is around 60%. BTW, I run all my program and Win 10 system volumes at 100%.

Jun 23, 2018 at 9:44 AM Post #1,744 of 2,593
I agree....I have run what people say are hard to drive headphones and my Magni 3 can drive them louder then I could ever stand....and that is around 60%. BTW, I run all my program and Win 10 system volumes at 100%.

Yep. I like it LOUD every once in a while, but I've run the Magni 3 with a variety of headphones and it stays on low gain, below 10 o'clock on the dial, 98% of the time.

Jun 23, 2018 at 1:38 PM Post #1,746 of 2,593
You must be using generic earbuds if you're staying below 10 o'clock on low gain. Read what the context is too.

2 months here and you're at over 500 posts. You should post less and read more.

Jun 23, 2018 at 7:27 PM Post #1,747 of 2,593
I'm currently listening to my Mimby and Magni 3 on my DT1990's and the volume is about 9 o'clock on low gain - more than loud enough. When Using my HD650s I may have to push it up to 10 o'clock, also on low gain.

Jun 24, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #1,748 of 2,593
How hard is the HD650 to drive in comparison to the HE400i? And again, the context here is using Sonarworks equalization and I presume reduce volume to avoid clipping. I was definitely on the afternoon side on high gain with the HE400i in the context under consideration.

Jun 24, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #1,749 of 2,593
the HE400i is easier to drive than the HD650, it sits around 9 o'clock on the volume control on low gain. Sonarworks must be reducing the digital input dramatically to cause the DAC to output such a low signal to the amp. The problem's not with the amp, it's with the signal going into the DAC.

Jun 24, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #1,750 of 2,593
Again, lower volume to reduce clipping when equalizing. Not sure why I have to repeat things ten times in this thread. When that option isn't used the output is just fine and how the option works seems straightforward as well, i.e. Sonarworks isn't the problem. Apparently this particular amp is liable to run out of juice with it depending on the headphone. What confuses me is that I think it's somewhat more powerful than the Jot single-ended, although I didn't sit down to do a careful comparison.

Jun 24, 2018 at 2:57 PM Post #1,751 of 2,593
Well you could just let it go and admit that the vast majority of people NOT using Sonarworks are not having a problem

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 4:12 PM Post #1,752 of 2,593
That the vast majority of people don't use Sonarworks and hence won't run into this potential issue goes without saying (although if you're trying to actually equalize a headphone you might run into it). The extent of the poster's claim was that if you are using Sonarworks depending on the headphone you might be pushing how much volume the Magni 3 can output.

Jun 24, 2018 at 4:44 PM Post #1,753 of 2,593
I'm long since convinced that young people are half-deaf, because I've never used a Schiit headphone amp where the volume knob wasn't at 9-10 o'clock on low gain, with 300 ohm Sennheiser's.

Jun 24, 2018 at 4:49 PM Post #1,754 of 2,593
I love the logic:

When you don't use Sonarworks everything is just fine.
When you do use Sonarworks there is a problem.
Therefore... There is no problem with Sonarworks and there is a problem with the Magni 3. Riiiiiight.. Gotcha. Makes perfect sense.

On the other hand, there have been posts elsewhere about overloading the Magni front end with a hot signal causing low output. That bit of detective work does make sense after you read through what he did.

J.P.

Jun 24, 2018 at 5:01 PM Post #1,755 of 2,593
A lot of thick folks in this thread. In my experience Sonarworks is tremendous value when it comes to sound improvement. There is nothing wrong with the decrease in volume that is advisable when using its equalization. All the poster claimed was that with Sonarworks and a certain headphone the Magni 3 might not output sufficient volume. Grasp that claim for what it is and get a grip, please.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back