Magni 3 Impressions
Mar 12, 2018 at 11:08 AM Post #1,561 of 2,593
I was asked to provide the photo, they forgot to attribute it to me

That's alright then :) sorry he is a serial poster of opinions formed on others opinions... Having never heard personally the items he recommends.

Mar 12, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #1,562 of 2,593
I ordered my Magni 3 shortly after release and noticed that it has developed a bit of noise in the volume pot over the past couple weeks when adjusting. I can make it go away temporarily by exercising the pot up and down a few times quickly. While mostly a non-issue I figured it was worth pointing out since this wasn't happening when it was new. Anyone else experiencing this?

Mar 12, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #1,563 of 2,593
I notice it too. It doesn't seem to be a real problem, but I do notice the noise when adjusting the volume and I swore I did not notice it when I first got it.

Mar 13, 2018 at 8:12 AM Post #1,565 of 2,593
I ordered my Magni 3 shortly after release and noticed that it has developed a bit of noise in the volume pot over the past couple weeks when adjusting. I can make it go away temporarily by exercising the pot up and down a few times quickly. While mostly a non-issue I figured it was worth pointing out since this wasn't happening when it was new. Anyone else experiencing this?

I had two Magni 3 amps with exactly that exhibited the same behaviour. It really is a non-issue though as it mostly does it when you adjust the volume with nothing playing. There is no way that it has anything to do with the potentiometer itself as these are all brand new pots. I would not try to lubricate it. It must be some kind of side effect of the topology used. At this price point, it is a compromise that can be tolerated.

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #1,566 of 2,593
Schiit Fulla 2 has the same issue. Some electrical contact cleaner usually fixes things.

Mar 14, 2018 at 11:20 AM Post #1,567 of 2,593
Last night I started to hear a low hum coming from my M3 which I thought might be something wrong with it because it was only on high gain, which is all I use. Then I thought it was some kind of interference because it just happened so suddenly and thankfully that's all it was. It was something coming from my surge protector because when I plugged my Mimby and M3 into a different socket all was well.

I'm so very pleased with the performance level of this amp and still can't get over the fact it's only $99. All my headphone sound better than they did with the Magni 2 and original Vali. The Focal Elear sounded great before but now the sound stunning, and my Nighthawk aren't far behind. I feel like I'm getting the full potential out of my headphones and my Modi Multibit. Schiit has the best price-performance ratio with their products imo and I'm going to be a customer for life.

Last edited:
Mar 16, 2018 at 8:16 AM Post #1,568 of 2,593
Oh man, it sure has felt like the Magni3 is made of unobtanium – been so difficult to get one here in the Europe! Change my mind from Objective2 to Magni3 around New Years after reading some of the rave reviews, but then Schiit had some production difficulties in the beginning of the year, and once those were resolved for the US for quite a while already, neither of the EU stores had stuff in stock for months (or even dates for availability). Finally about 3 months after making my decision, was able to order Magni3 from Schiit-Europe end of last week, and now the packege is on it's way to Finland! (And the stock is already out now, so guess they didn't get that many units even at this point…)

Can't wait to hear how it sounds with Hifiman HE-400s, been driving those thus far with just the "Altoids" amp from JDSLabs and direct connections from devices. Also purchased SMSL Sanskrit 6 as a DAC for desktop use (my main listening station already has Cambridge Audio's DAC Magic), felt the standard iMac output was lacking on clarity which I doubt the amp in itself would've not been able to solve. Guess I still need to manage one more weekend without the new toys though…!

Mar 16, 2018 at 11:57 PM Post #1,569 of 2,593
Oh man, it sure has felt like the Magni3 is made of unobtanium – been so difficult to get one here in the Europe! Change my mind from Objective2 to Magni3 around New Years after reading some of the rave reviews, but then Schiit had some production difficulties in the beginning of the year, and once those were resolved for the US for quite a while already, neither of the EU stores had stuff in stock for months (or even dates for availability). Finally about 3 months after making my decision, was able to order Magni3 from Schiit-Europe end of last week, and now the packege is on it's way to Finland! (And the stock is already out now, so guess they didn't get that many units even at this point…)

Can't wait to hear how it sounds with Hifiman HE-400s, been driving those thus far with just the "Altoids" amp from JDSLabs and direct connections from devices. Also purchased SMSL Sanskrit 6 as a DAC for desktop use (my main listening station already has Cambridge Audio's DAC Magic), felt the standard iMac output was lacking on clarity which I doubt the amp in itself would've not been able to solve. Guess I still need to manage one more weekend without the new toys though…!

Glad it’s finally on the way. It certainly out performs my old Bit-Head amp with my 400i

Mar 17, 2018 at 8:46 AM Post #1,570 of 2,593
thought i would chime in. I have the 400i which i liked but always found myself going for my sen 650s until i added the loki mini. now i almost always go for my 400i. my desktop set up is: foobar, modi 2, loki mini, magni 3. I really like this schiit stack, and i find it so simple to adjust the loki to my ears for different headphones.

Nice Foobar skin...how did you get that setup?

Mar 17, 2018 at 9:50 AM Post #1,571 of 2,593
Nice Foobar skin...how did you get that setup?
Thank You. I am not sure, it just developed over a few years. Foobar has tons of options and at first it seemed like far to many to deal with, but now i love it. you just decide what elements you want to show and create a layout in view/scratchbox. then you just add the elements you want: album art, playlists, meta data, and visualizations. if there is something you want chances are some one has already made it available to download and add.

Mar 20, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #1,572 of 2,593
Finished a 24/7 burn in on my new Magni 3. Sound seemed a bit grainy for the first minute or two, but after that, very clean, and didn't notice any more change. Could have been the media.

But this weekend I was listening to a WAV file of Lindsey Stirling's "Electric Daisy Violin", and there's a lot of glare, which seems like its from synthesized drums. I plugged my HPs into my Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus' jack, [it is being used in DAC mode with its preamp disabled, but the volume still works for its HP jack]. The DM+ emphasized this presumed recording issue, much more. I then tried the original CD, and it sounded just like the WAV file. Went to YouTube and found the song. It exhibited much less of this, but I could still hear it. Remember though, this isn't a Magni 3 issue. Garbage in = garbage out. Point being it seems to emphasize the glare less than the DM+'s HP amp.

So, I want to get the Schiit Loki equalizer, to deal with these types of media issues. But, maybe wait for the rumored Bimby form factor, because I don't really like how small the Loki and Magni 3 are. Sounds like a full sized audio component, even though it looks tiny ... like a couple of packs of Camel non filters laying next to each other, but another 25% taller. Anyway, I really like the sound of this amp. Amazing bass with content that has it.

My other complaint, (other than the size), is that there is only a half an inch of room between the volume control and my HP plug, which is really annoying. I cannot reach the volume control knob with a thumb on top, and a straight in approach. Instead, I have to approach it at maybe a 45 degree angle from the left, and my finger still bumps the HP plug. If there was 1/2" more room, it would be a major improvement, IMO.

Positives of the Magni 3 are substantial. The most important of course is that it sounds really amazingly great. It runs somewhere between lukewarm and warm. [Since I'm using this on my nightstand, it won't keep me awake on hot summer nights]. Also, it's dead quite with no input signal and maximum volume, for both low and high gain. Subjectively, (with music), the L & R channels track each other perfectly, for both the high and low gain, (from fully minimum to maximum), and without any noise. It can also function as a SE preamp, but I haven't tried this feature. Low weight/shipping, so it could be returned during the trial for a lot less than say a Mjolnir 2.

After using it for a week, I will definitely be keeping it.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2018 at 11:59 AM Post #1,573 of 2,593
Observation, not a complaint. Been using the Magni 3 at work for a few months now playing thru Creative T40s series II. The way they are set up I have great separation and stereo sound. A few weeks ago I got some Sennheiser HD540s and started using them at work. When I would pull out the headphones and dial the volume up to full the sound was right-side dominant and the balance was gone. It turns out I switched to high gain at some point. When I turn off high gain the balanced sound through the speakers is back. I can go from high to low and back multiple times and the balance seems to stay. Once I plug in the headphones, switch to high and then pull them out, the sound is right-side dominant again.

Mar 21, 2018 at 7:54 AM Post #1,574 of 2,593
Observation, not a complaint. Been using the Magni 3 at work for a few months now playing thru Creative T40s series II. The way they are set up I have great separation and stereo sound. A few weeks ago I got some Sennheiser HD540s and started using them at work. When I would pull out the headphones and dial the volume up to full the sound was right-side dominant and the balance was gone. It turns out I switched to high gain at some point. When I turn off high gain the balanced sound through the speakers is back. I can go from high to low and back multiple times and the balance seems to stay. Once I plug in the headphones, switch to high and then pull them out, the sound is right-side dominant again.
Oh that's just weird! Never heard that one before, quimbo :) What the ... ! Had a chat to Schiit, at all?

Mar 21, 2018 at 10:22 AM Post #1,575 of 2,593
Oh man, it sure has felt like the Magni3 is made of unobtanium – been so difficult to get one here in the Europe! […] Finally about 3 months after making my decision, was able to order Magni3 from Schiit-Europe end of last week, and now the packege is on it's way to Finland! (And the stock is already out now, so guess they didn't get that many units even at this point…)

Today was finally the day – and man, my desktop setup has never sounded this good! Haven't yet listened to Magni3 on my main listening station with DAC Magic et al so can't really do comparisons just for the amp, but at least this Sanskrit6+Magni3 -combo really whips the llama's ass compared to just plugging Hifiman HE-400s to the iMac built-in output! Loads of additional clarity & extension. To be honest, music now sounds even a bit too gripping & involving for work context – hard to focus on working when you start to listen to the music in detail :beyersmile:

btw, which gain settings are you guys using with HE-400s? I started with LO which gives a better range in the volume control allowing more fine-tuned control, but have to say that somehow HI would seem to sound a bit better, a bit more bite maybe? Not sure if that's just due to possibly driving the headphones at higher volume unintentionally due to smaller scale of usable volume settings…?

IMG_20180321_155901.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back