Magnets screwing up headphones?
Sep 20, 2009 at 2:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

oregon

100+ Head-Fier
I have a pair of Apple In-Ear w/remote and mic, as well as a pair of Sony Altus full size headphones. I also have a pair of those hematite magnets that you toss in the air and watch them spin as they come together. I've been packing all my stuff for college and was wondering if it's fine to pack them near each other. The magnets won't screw up the headphones?

Sep 20, 2009 at 3:07 AM Post #2 of 8
I wouldnt risk it if you can avoid it, but the magnets in the headphones are activated via a coil, they are electromagnets.

Sep 21, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldnt risk it if you can avoid it, but the magnets in the headphones are activated via a coil, they are electromagnets.

I thought dynamic headphones had a permanent magnet that reacted with the coil and made the coil jump back and forth, which makes the diaphragm vibrate, which makes sound. When my IEM or Earbuds gets close to each other, they try to get apart, just like an permanent magnet, even if they are not playing music.

If the headphones have a permanent magnet, the magnets you have could in theory make the magnets in the headphones weaker if the are close to each other. I do not now the amount of weakening and it could be almost nothing or a lot.

Sep 21, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #4 of 8
Sep 22, 2009 at 4:27 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Musicboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought dynamic headphones had a permanent magnet that reacted with the coil and made the coil jump back and forth, which makes the diaphragm vibrate, which makes sound. When my IEM or Earbuds gets close to each other, they try to get apart, just like an permanent magnet, even if they are not playing music.

If the headphones have a permanent magnet, the magnets you have could in theory make the magnets in the headphones weaker if the are close to each other. I do not now the amount of weakening and it could be almost nothing or a lot.

ah you could be right there, I might have to look into the exact specification , until then treat my comment as a little unsure. one thing is for sure, I would not keep them near powerful magnets. I have never noticed my IEMs repelling each other at all; I must have a look at that.

Sep 22, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #6 of 8
Well, there is only one way to find out...
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back