MAGISTER - 40% PROMOTION PRICE
Jun 1, 2015 at 1:50 AM Post #46 of 60
@Levaix I'm actually very curious to see if there's variety in the sound signature in the pair that you got. I know sometimes hand crafted headphones (particularly those with wood) can vary quite a bit in terms of the sound. Its either that or it could also be a amp / cable pairing thing.

I do know though that the bass in mine is absolutely fantastic. Now it's not like a basshead thump (i have my HAMR77x for that), but its super clean and articulate. So when i listen to say drums from rock, they sound like real drums which is really nice. 

Have been listening to them non-stop all day haha. Very curious to see what other people's impressions are.

Jun 1, 2015 at 2:25 AM Post #47 of 60
I'm loving the bass on these, it is not for bass heads, as it is neutral in quantity, but the reverb and timbre is absolutely brilliant. I only listen to electronic, and this is the type of bass I love and have been trying to find in a headphone for a long time.

Jun 3, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #49 of 60
I received mine a few days ago, and feel that they did need some burn in to sound really good. Agree with T.R.A.N.C.E. below.
  I'm loving the bass on these, it is not for bass heads, as it is neutral in quantity, but the reverb and timbre is absolutely brilliant. I only listen to electronic, and this is the type of bass I love and have been trying to find in a headphone for a long time.

Hope to get some time within the next few weeks to give them a full review.

Jun 3, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #50 of 60
Hi all,

Mine have turned up a couple of days ago too.  Not spent a ton of time with them yet but here are some initial observations (all listening performed directly out of a Chord Hugo):

1. Very neutral presentation
  2. Very "open" sound for closed cans (Sometimes I find closed cans feel like they are missing something on certain tracks - not so here)
  3. Excellent (lack of) sound leakage.  When these turned up I listened to them in my (fairly quiet) open plan office at work and apparently this didn't disturb anyone.  This could be a reason all by itself for me to keep these! 
    biggrin.gif
  4. Vocals slightly "laid back" giving a more balanced sound overall (sometimes my LCD3 feel like the vocals overpower everything else)
  5. Bass seems pretty accurate and extends well but maybe slightly lacking in body on occasion - although I guess I'm comparing to LCD3 here (and if it helps to quantify I think exactly the same about the HD800)
  6. These are very light - perhaps another subliminal comparison to the LCD but I was expecting them to be heavier given the "bog oak"
  7. Comfort - feels pretty good to me although in honesty I rarely have problems in this area.
  8. Clamping force - yes it's slightly more pressure than my other headphones but I quite like that.  I wear glasses and am happy to report no problems at all.
  9. These benefit from burn in.  Not sure whether it's more "brain" burn in than driver changes but my experience with these has greatly improved since day 1.  In honesty I was initially underwhelmed when first putting these on but now starting to think these may have a permanent place in my small collection.

Although I've been through many headphones I had pretty much settled on HD800 (mostly for classical/brass/choral) and LCD3 (for everything else).  Out of these two cans I would say the sound signature is much closer to the HD800.  The Magister doesn't quite match the HD800 for the level of detail or massive soundstage but for closed cans it pulls off a decent imitation.

Overall I'm pretty impressed so far.  Not sure if all 10 have gone yet but with the current discount these are amazing bargains.  Offer finishes on the 5th so be quick if anyone is tempted.

Will add further thoughts after I've spent more time with these ...

Craig

Jun 3, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #51 of 60
  Hi all,
Mine have turned up a couple of days ago too.  Not spent a ton of time with them yet but here are some initial observations (all listening performed directly out of a Chord Hugo):

1. Very neutral presentation
  2. Very "open" sound for closed cans (Sometimes I find closed cans feel like they are missing something on certain tracks - not so here)
  3. Excellent (lack of) sound leakage.  When these turned up I listened to them in my (fairly quiet) open plan office at work and apparently this didn't disturb anyone.  This could be a reason all by itself for me to keep these! 
    biggrin.gif
  4. Vocals slightly "laid back" giving a more balanced sound overall (sometimes my LCD3 feel like the vocals overpower everything else)
  5. Bass seems pretty accurate and extends well but maybe slightly lacking in body on occasion - although I guess I'm comparing to LCD3 here (and if it helps to quantify I think exactly the same about the HD800)
  6. These are very light - perhaps another subliminal comparison to the LCD but I was expecting them to be heavier given the "bog oak"
  7. Comfort - feels pretty good to me although in honesty I rarely have problems in this area.
  8. Clamping force - yes it's slightly more pressure than my other headphones but I quite like that.  I wear glasses and am happy to report no problems at all.
  9. These benefit from burn in.  Not sure whether it's more "brain" burn in than driver changes but my experience with these has greatly improved since day 1.  In honesty I was initially underwhelmed when first putting these on but now starting to think these may have a permanent place in my small collection.
  Although I've been through many headphones I had pretty much settled on HD800 (mostly for classical/brass/choral) and LCD3 (for everything else).  Out of these two cans I would say the sound signature is much closer to the HD800.  The Magister doesn't quite match the HD800 for the level of detail or massive soundstage but for closed cans it pulls off a decent imitation.

Overall I'm pretty impressed so far.  Not sure if all 10 have gone yet but with the current discount these are amazing bargains.  Offer finishes on the 5th so be quick if anyone is tempted.

Craig

Thanks for the impression, if these are better than the FA-003 Ti + Wood Cup.
It's actually a very good deal, considering how rare the Bog Oak wood are.

Last time I check for 2090 year old wood, there isn't an abundance of it lying around.
Trust me, I've checked my back yard and local rivers and ponds. Nope, nil

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:05 AM Post #52 of 60
I was so impressed with the Magister that I went looking for a Fischer headphone that I could use as a portable, and I found and bought the Fischer Oldskool RPM 33 1/3. I am listening to them now and really enjoying them 
cool.gif

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:18 AM Post #53 of 60
  I was so impressed with the Magister that I went looking for a Fischer headphone that I could use as a portable, and I found and bought the Fischer Oldskool RPM 33 1/3. I am listening to them now and really enjoying them 
cool.gif

LOL the Fischer Oldskool is as old school as they look haha. Reminds me of the lo fi headphone I had in 1990.

Jun 4, 2015 at 12:26 AM Post #54 of 60
^ The wood is really well done on the Oldskools though, has this glowing sheen in light, and the engraving is also done well. Apart from the wood cups the rest of the headphone is kinda minimalistic and does have an oldskool vibe.

Jun 4, 2015 at 5:52 AM Post #55 of 60
If anyone wants to try old(er) fischers see

http://www.headsound.de/epages/63028271.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/63028271/Categories/Bügelkopfhörer/Fischer_Audio

Jun 4, 2015 at 10:57 AM Post #56 of 60
Hi all,

• Very neutral presentation
  • Very "open" sound for closed cans (Sometimes I find closed cans feel like they are missing something on certain tracks - not so here)
  • Excellent (lack of) sound leakage.  When these turned up I listened to them in my (fairly quiet) open plan office at work and apparently this didn't disturb anyone.  This could be a reason all by itself for me to keep these! :D
  • Vocals slightly "laid back" giving a more balanced sound overall (sometimes my LCD3 feel like the vocals overpower everything else)
  • Bass seems pretty accurate and extends well but maybe slightly lacking in body on occasion - although I guess I'm comparing to LCD3 here (and if it helps to quantify I think exactly the same about the HD800)
  • These are very light - perhaps another subliminal comparison to the LCD but I was expecting them to be heavier given the "bog oak"
  • Comfort - feels pretty good to me although in honesty I rarely have problems in this area.
  • Clamping force - yes it's slightly more pressure than my other headphones but I quite like that.  I wear glasses and am happy to report no problems at all.
  • These benefit from burn in.  Not sure whether it's more "brain" burn in than driver changes but my experience with these has greatly improved since day 1.  In honesty I was initially underwhelmed when first putting these on but now starting to think these may have a permanent place in my small collection.

Craig

This is pretty much how my experience has gone so far as well. I would like a little more "weight" in the sound, but they're much better than they were out of the box. The burn in is definitely real with these; after several hours of pink noise it's a noticeable difference.

I'll try and get a real review knocked out this weekend.

Jun 27, 2015 at 3:15 PM Post #59 of 60
@karljs as well as everyone else, the review is now up: http://www.head-fi.org/products/kennerton-magister-closed-back-headphones/reviews/13460

As mentioned in the review, these aren't really to my taste, and I'll most likely put them up on the classifieds soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back