Magico S5 Mk2 speakers on the way!
Jan 25, 2016 at 6:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Bodhi01

Head-Fier
Hi folks,

Although this forum is mostly for high end headphone rigs, I thought i'd share with members that I have a pair of the new Magico S5 Mk2 speakers on the way in beautiful gloss Titanium finish. My pair are due to ship some time in March, so can't wait!

I previously owned a pair of S5 Mk1's which are very good speakers in their own right. The S5's have deep, tight, accurate bass, smooth midrange with nice tone, timbre & textural shadings, and a fast, smooth & resolving tweeter; qualities which are not always associated with BE domes. There is a touch of warmth, and the S5's have a slightly laid back presentation (in comparison to the Q3). Basically they are well balanced and coherent speakers. I describe them as "great allrounders".

But as good as the S5's are, the S5 Mk2 is a completely different animal. In fact, the only carry over components from the S5 are the extruded aluminium side panels & speaker binding posts. Everything else is new. Much of the technology found in the Mk2 has filtered down from the M project speakers, which was first adapted to the S7.

So what's new? The Mk2's 10" bass drivers use a lighter aluminium cone which was made possible by the hybrid carbon Nanotube/Nanographene dust cap which is 20% lighter & 300% stiffer than the previous model. Behind the driver cone, it's basically all-Q series technology with MUCH bigger & more powerful magnets. I attached a photo below showing a comparison between an S5 & S7's bass drivers (which are virtually identical to the S5 Mk2). Apparently you could lift an S5 bass driver with one hand, but it takes two hands to lift the new bass unit!

The new model also benefits from the copper woofer coupling system first used in the S7 which has a much higher damping factor than the previous aluminium mounting. In fact, the copper O-rings were so wildly successful they are being trickled "up" to other models (see photo below).

The new 6" midrange uses a hybrid carbon Nanotube/Nanographene cone which again is 20% lighter & 300% stiffer than the previous model. The underhung neodymium base motor system uses two extra-large magnets which provide an ultra-stabilized magnetic field which improves accuracy and dynamics. The midrange also benefits from a similar computer-modelled polycarbonate enclosure to the S3. Marketing hype doesn't always match reality, but having heard the S3 and S7, my ears tell me that thing works a treat! Midrange clarity is definately improved & the sound stage really opens up.

The S5 Mk2 also features a new 1" tweeter with a diamond-coated beryllium diaphragm, shorter voice coil, and slightly modified motor system compared to the tweeter used in the S5. The new BE diaphragm has a five-micron thick layer of diamond applied using a very difficult process. Alon said they broke 10 tools trying to design it! The new drivers also allowed the breakup point to be moved beyond the bandpass, which enabled Magico to remove the crossover’s electrical traps necessary for controlling driver breakup, thereby simplifying the crossover & improving resolution.

Apropos which, Alon used some very nice caps in the critical position; the new Mundorf Mcap Supreme Evo Silver/Gold in Oil caps. Internal wiring has been improved & has been changed from Mundorf solid-core wire to 10 gauge stranded wire sourced from Japan wound in different geometries for (+) and (-).

The cabinet has also been revised & features a heavy machined 3D convex-shaped top plate to minimize enclosure diffraction and break-up vertical standing waves (similar to the M Pro). There is also a heavier bottom plate featuring 4-point outrigger feet like the S7 which lowers the center of gravity & increases overall stability, resulting in a lower noise floor and increased dynamics according to Magico.

Taken as a whole, and drawing on my experience from hearing the S7, the S5 Mk2 should be a BIG step up from original S5. And with the advent of the S7, I think this model will become the sweet spot in Magico's range actually. Looking forward to sharing my 1st impressions soon!

Cheers,
Bodhi

S5 Mk2 in stunning pearl white finish

Copper woofer coupling system fitted to an S7 cabinet

This photo shows the dramatic difference between the S7's bass driver (left) vs the older S5 (right)

Jan 25, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #2 of 5
Congratulations on your purchase!!
Never heard a Magico speaker, but heard the Piega Coax 30.2 with Devialet 400 and I was blown away, so the S5 MK2 should be a very big slice of audio heaven, no doubt about it!

Hope you enjoy your new speakers, they look marvelous :)

Jan 26, 2016 at 7:28 AM Post #4 of 5
  Congratulations on your purchase!!
Never heard a Magico speaker, but heard the Piega Coax 30.2 with Devialet 400 and I was blown away, so the S5 MK2 should be a very big slice of audio heaven, no doubt about it!

Hope you enjoy your new speakers, they look marvelous :)

Thanks for your congrats Toro! I'm not familar with that particular speaker, but I do like ribbon tweeters for their speed and naturalness. Magico have definitately made some big strides in that direction with their new tweeter. I think the S5 Mk2 will be a really nice package.

Cheers,
Bodhi.

Jan 26, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #5 of 5
  Congratulations bodhi01!! Magico is one of the few brands I would really consider purchasing when I have the cash, looking forward to all you have to say on the Mk2.

Thanks for your kind words Narayan. I think they are at the top of their game in dynamic speakers. Looking forward to putting them thorugh their paces!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back