Magic V700 dude...
Oct 5, 2002 at 12:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

Czilla9000

10 Year Member. Still no custom title.
I would really be interested in seeing a magazine length review of your V700. It would be very controversial however.

Oct 5, 2002 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 38
Because...

A. I love controversy.

B. It would just be interesting to see it reviewed.

Heck...I was even thinking of reviewing the stock phones that came with my player...lol

Oct 5, 2002 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Czilla9000
Heck...I was even thinking of reviewing the stock phones that came with my player...lol

They would probably fair the same as the V700's then
eek.gif

Oct 5, 2002 at 6:29 AM Post #5 of 38
I don't really see the need either:

It's all summed up in my brief reviews. It may be controversial here, but no great shakes anywhere else. They are overrated in many reviews but what's undoubted is they're built very well, sound OK for most types of pop/rock music, offer good sealing, an element of portability due to their folding capability and ability to be driven from anything and are fair value bearing in mind hte whole package.

Now if you Head-Fiers are looking to crap on a headphone because it's poor value and you're almost solely paying for the looks, I've done the research for you - this puts the V700 into perspective: http://www.geocities.com/magicthyse/...r.html#hdj1000

See, you regulars even get a special mention! A special service from Magicthyse so that you guys can parrot someone else's opinion now about these new phones without listening to them yourself, as usual.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 5, 2002 at 6:58 AM Post #6 of 38
Hey Magic,

Where abouts in the UK are you? We could do a full length V6 vs V700 review??
wink.gif

95% of the people here (myself included) really like the V6, with the other 5% quietly liking the V600 & V700... would be interesting to A/B them
wink.gif

[Edit]

Magic,

After reading your review on your website... this particular quote lept out at me... Quote:

I think the “I only shop at Costco” boys and moderators at Head-Fi.org may have found a new phone to get all snooty about - this time, with some justification.

Now whilst I don't want to appear like i'm a brown-nose, I would like to say that I have my own personal opinions, and would like to highlight a couple of things...

In this thread ~ third reply... you have this:

Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
In my opinion its all up to personal preference, and probably more importantly the source equipment...

There is probably nothing fundamentally wrong with the 700s, but the principle behind head-fi is to move away from the mass market equipment, and find higher end... more exotic equipment that just sets your heart racing

As Vertigo_1 says... Different Strokes for Different Folks...

IMO its not everyones idea of fun to have something that is hyper analytical, some people just wanna listen to their music, not become part of it...

And there were another couple of posts in other threads, nothing too meaningful... but that aside, I myself am open minded.. I've said to a few of the moderators here in private discussions that I want to try the V line-up for myself ~ seeing that i'm 'such a Sony fan'... feel free to take a look at my profile and see all the Sony gear on there!

Whilst taking that line I pulled out of your review with a pinch of salt, I do find it quite annoying how yet again... I, as a moderator get tarred with the same brush as every other mod on this board
frown.gif

Oct 5, 2002 at 9:09 AM Post #7 of 38
Sorry about that Duncan. But it's a one for all and all for one thing - you're tarred with the same brush because certain mods are of that mentality.

It may be that you promote high-end stuff here, which is all very well - I'll be receiving an RS-1 and an EarMax Pro soon partially due to what's been written about them here - but they have no right to crap on the low to mid-end of the market, and people who don't want to spend anymore or carry around a hokey/bulky/inconvenient/more expense (delete as applicable) amp.

It may be other people's money that they're assisting to spend - especially since frequently they urge newbies to spend more - but Mods should do more research and stop making near-idiotic recommendations.

That is probably the one thing that has brassed me off the most about here, and which is the reason why I dangle the 'controversial' V700, just to get on their ****, at every opportunity. And it's for that reason, that no matter how I actually like my forthcoming phones or my current Grado 225, that I will remain "Team V700"...

EDIT: Oh yes, I'll also be receiving a "cabled" HD600 shortly. I thought now that I've covered most of the bases in the closed phone arena (and MDR-7506 I'm trying to borrow, and an ER-4P will join my collection within a few months when I'm due to travel), I'd look at some open ones.

I keep telling myself I'm not a headphone geek, but I am definitely racking up quite a collection of these things...

Oct 5, 2002 at 11:59 AM Post #8 of 38
[edited]

Oct 5, 2002 at 4:43 PM Post #9 of 38
Hey Magicthyse, it seems you are being drawn into the light. I had given up on you because it seemed like you bought every low end headphone even remotely recommened here hehe. Good to see you are finally moving up to the big boys.
smily_headphones1.gif

Now I only own one pair of phones hehe (see below).

Biggie.

Oct 5, 2002 at 4:51 PM Post #10 of 38
Yeah, Magic, RS-1 is a great choice; you'll enjoy it.

Oct 5, 2002 at 6:23 PM Post #11 of 38
Yes - I'd originally planned only to get some adjuncts to my 'outside' phones including the V700, but since I started to do the review for the guys at Minidisc T-forums, my low-end phone collection kind of balooned further.

Right now, I have a Koss KSC-35/50, Beyer DT231 x 4(!) / DT250-80, Sennheiser HD212 / HD280, Sony EX70/D66/V700, Grado SR60 / 225, Technics RP-DJ1200A / RP-FDA100, and a Pioneer HDJ-1000!

The Technics RP-FDA100 are my SR225 alternatives on my secondary system, but I'm not entirely happy with the overly neutral sound I'm getting from them (and I can sell these for more than I got them for... amazin) - and after a while with the SR225's, I was itching for some new toys, since I know the Headline can go further. I'm presuming that the RS-1 and the HD600 will cure my upgradeitis for a while.

The question is now of course, which do I put on what amp? The Headline will presumably go better with the HD600, but I'm not relishing rewiring the Headline to my secondary amp, and ditto with connecting the Earmax Pro to my primary amp. What's so good about DIN plugs anyway? The cables to connect my Minidisc deck to the NAIT 5 cost barely less than the deck!

Oct 6, 2002 at 7:06 AM Post #12 of 38
Quote:

Originally posted by Magicthyse
A special service from Magicthyse so that you guys can parrot someone else's opinion now about these new phones without listening to them yourself, as usual.

Magic, why do you keep insisting that people pummel the V700 "without listening to them yourself"? I freely pummel them as overpriced junk, mainly because I *have* heard them. And I think it's safe to say that most of the people who do criticize them do so for the same reason: because they've heard them.

Your review of them:

Quote:

they're built very well, sound OK for most types of pop/rock music, offer good sealing, an element of portability due to their folding capability and ability to be driven from anything and are fair value bearing in mind hte whole package.

The V6 are built very well, sound good (not just "OK") for most music (not just pop/rock), offer good sealing, an element of portability due to their folding capability, and are able to be drven from anything. They cost less than half as much as the V700. Now explain again how the V700 are "fair value bearing in mind the whole package"
confused.gif

The truth is they're overpriced junk that just happen to look pretty good. That's the long and short of it.

Quote:

It may be that you promote high-end stuff here, which is all very well - I'll be receiving an RS-1 and an EarMax Pro soon partially due to what's been written about them here - but they have no right to crap on the low to mid-end of the market, and people who don't want to spend anymore or carry around a hokey/bulky/inconvenient/more expense (delete as applicable) amp.

Hello??? First of all, anyone here has the "right" to crap on the low-end, mid-fi, or high-end. We don't kick you out for championing mediocrity, do we?
wink.gif
But more importantly, your premise is laughable -- most of the members here LOVE finding good quality, good-sounding, inexpensive headphones. I love finding great, inexpensive headphones that don't require an amp. The headphone I recommend the most is the $25 KSC-35.

Plus it's a bit odd that you claim to be looking out for those "who don't want to spend anymore" when you're recommending $150 headphones that are bettered by many headphones at half the price...

Quote:

but Mods should do more research and stop making near-idiotic recommendations.

Oh, and which mods might those be, Magic? Please point out these "near-idiotic" recommendations LOL

Quote:

That is probably the one thing that has brassed me off the most about here, and which is the reason why I dangle the 'controversial' V700, just to get on their ****, at every opportunity.

Yes, we realize you like the attention.

Oct 6, 2002 at 12:46 PM Post #14 of 38
No, it never does, but it sure does pee off MacDEF and that's good enough for me
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 6, 2002 at 3:40 PM Post #15 of 38
I agree with the negative reviews of the V700DJ here. (Granted, they're not that bad, but I could buy better for cheaper.) And not only that, the V700DJ isn't anywhere near as durable as Magicthyse has stated them to be; the plastic covers on the swivel joints are very brittle and prone to cracking - sometimes as soon as a few weeks after purchase. And the only way to fix those covers is to send the entire headphone directly to Sony to replace the ENTIRE headband - at a cost of perhaps one-third of the original MSRP of the V700DJ and a wait of four to six weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back