Magaosi K3 PRO impressions and discussions thread.
Jun 20, 2017 at 5:32 PM Post #841 of 948
Coming from ER-4 I'm sure is a big difference, but I use the K3 Pro's at the gym with a moderate (not blasting my eardrums, lol) amount of volume, and for me they isolate the same as W30, W4R, or some of the newer KZ models like ZS-5 or ZS3. I would suggest Symbio tips or some type of foam like comply if you need more isolation. There aren't many IEM's designed like ER-4 that require a deep insertion depth. In my experience with the K3 Pro, the shallower insertion the better the sound. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2017 at 11:20 PM Post #842 of 948
Hi Folks

I’ve had the K3 Pro’s for a good few weeks now and they have very quickly become my favourite IEM. I also own the excellent 1More Triple Driver and the Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10’s. The K3 Pro’s easily match these others for sound quality - in fact I can’t help thinking that they actually sound better to my ears.

I do have some problems with the shallow fit though - I’m definitely used to a deeper insertion depth and was quite happy using the triple flange tips when I used to own the Etymotic ER4P’s and even the Shure E500’s The shallow insertion depth problem was overcome by using cut up tubes from some old unwanted tips I had and use them as spacers. I also have to use the foam tips supplied with the K3 Pro’s in order to get the maximum comfort, seal and sound quality. I would normally definitely prefer silicone tips but I just couldn’t really get a consistent fit with any that I tried.

It’s fair to say that no matter which tip you use with these iem’s, you just can’t get the same degree of isolation that you would when using some of the other iem’s I’ve mentioned. For me, this took some time to get used to. I have experienced the same problem when using the 1More Triple Drivers as well. All said and done though, once the music starts it’s not really a problem. They don’t leak too much sound into the outside world which means that you can wear these in bed without disturbing your partner - they’re also extremely comfortable and you can easily lay on your side whilst wearing these.

Interestingly I tend to prefer a fairly laid back sound with my other headphones - for example, I really like the basic sound character of the V-Moda Crossfade Wireless. Anyone who knows these headphones will tell you that they have a very bass-heavy character and recessed upper mids/highs. The K3 Pro’s offer a very deep bass, wonderfully detailed high end and an overall flat response across the entire frequency range. In almost every way you could think about it, the Crossfade Wireless and the K3 Pro’s are utterly different to each other. However, even though I like a laid back sound I don’t find the additional high end details the K3 Pro offers at all fatiguing - and what’s more I’m using the black filters which don’t cut any of the top end. These are the sort of headphones which just give you everything without any glaring faults at all.

So, shallow fit not withstanding, I can honestly say that these are the best in ear monitors I have heard so far. Admittedly I haven’t heard the likes of JH Audio, Astell & Kern or any of the newer Ultimate Ears in ear monitors but they really are in a completely different price bracket and it’s not really fair to even consider comparing them.

Like you, I have the K3P and the 1more Triples. Once I got my K3P months back, I haven't seen myself using the Triples. But, this doesn't mean that the Triples aren't fantastic at its price point.

However, when I bought the SWIII, I found myself using the SWiii more often than the K3P. The details, highs and bass is just fantastic on the SWiiis. Finding the right tips is quite tricky though for the SWiii. The only advantage of the K3P over the SWiii for now would be fit.

Jun 21, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #843 of 948
Like you, I have the K3P and the 1more Triples. Once I got my K3P months back, I haven't seen myself using the Triples. But, this doesn't mean that the Triples aren't fantastic at its price point.

+1

I sold my Triples to a friend after I got my K3 Pros. The 1Mores were just sitting around gathering dust. Like you said, the 1Mores are great; it's just the K3 Pro is better.

Jun 21, 2017 at 3:00 AM Post #844 of 948
Need more reviews and comparisons of the K3 HD! :)

Jun 22, 2017 at 1:58 AM Post #845 of 948
I just received my HDs today. Initial thoughts as follows. Also my F5s arrived today also which might have influenced these views.

First of all, they are very much on the bright side of the scale. Highs are front and centre with a tiny bit of sibilance present (haven't tried different tips yet)

Because of this, mids are a bit recessed and vocals not as present as some of my other iems.

Bass seems fast and extends into sub bass well without muddying the mids.

Overall a detailed, solid iem with good build quality.
Would recommend to people who prefer a v shaped sound

Edit:
Changing the filters to the silver ones and tips to spinfits I was able to get the mids more prominent, giving a more linear feeling with the sparkly highs and details still present. Most impressed.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 2:18 AM Post #846 of 948
I just received my HDs today. Initial thoughts as follows. Also my F5s arrived today also which might have influenced these views.

First of all, they are very much on the bright side of the scale. Highs are front and centre with a tiny bit of sibilance present (haven't tried different tips yet)

Because of this, mids are a bit recessed and vocals not as present as some of my other iems.

Bass seems fast and extends into sub bass well without muddying the mids.

Overall a detailed, solid iem with good build quality.
Would recommend to people who prefer a v shaped sound

Edit:
Changing the filters to the silver ones and tips to spinfits I was able to get the mids more prominent, giving a more linear feeling with the sparkly highs and details still present. Most impressed.
Hope you'll be able to provide a comparison between this and the F5, I'm split beaten the two choices

Jun 22, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #848 of 948
I just got a used pair of these from a forum member : and wanted to post initial impressions (Still an amateur in IEMs), if it helps anyone trying to make a decision. At best, I can compare it to the Etymotic HF2, which I used the most.

Quality : Build feels good, even though I will use the cable connectors carefully. The cables provided seem really thick and nice, and are resistant to twisting which I appreciate. (8/10)

Comfort : Fit great in my ears, and I can lie down on my side with them on : which is a huge plus. Not as small as the HF2 which I sometimes forgot I had on, even with the deeper insertion, but still a comfortable IEM. (8.5/10)

Sound : Personally, I find them Very V-shaped, not mildly. Especially after coming from the HF2.

The bass is great : impactful and feels really big in size, if that makes sense, close to the ears, and very tall. No boom, and is quick as well. I do feel it leaks over into the lower mids though. Very different coming from the Etymotic, which I love for preciseness, but I would rate it at an equal level based on your preference. In tracks which rely on a percussive track, the bass just shines and takes control of the track in a certain way - making it extremely enjoyable. (9.5/10)

The highs : With the silver filter on, I don't think they are too bright at all - unlike some comments I had read. Are available in plenty, and form a pretty decent image as well. Never hurt my ears, and I can be sensitive to bad treble. (8/10)

The mids : This is the part that disappointed me the most - I had expected a lot after reading reviews. Something about them just feels - off. I am trying really hard to love them, after paying a fair amount (graduate student blues). Some vocals can sound fine, but mostly they just sound very unnatural. Yes, they form a separate image, especially with some EQ, but never quite achieve detail or texture that the Etymotics do. Instruments do not sound like instruments at all - especially pianos. (Almost feel like a flat note, no layers, no decay). Guitar strings sound a bit choked as well. I assume there are some peaks, because sometimes the edges(?) of the sound make it appear more detailed, but compared the the HF2 they feel like sounds generated by a computer. To be fair, some vocals and instruments sound good - but some ranges just don't do it.
(6/10 - could be subjective due to my raised expectations)

Overall : On some songs, that require tunefulness, beat, the K3s dance. They bring the music to life, based off great bass. However, the unnatural mids can be a disappointment, especially on critical listening. In complex music, with many layers, everything seems muddled up - which is confusing to me because the HF2 is a single driver and the K3s are multi-driver and I thought they would do better with confusion.
(5/10 for Classical, instrumental music , 7/10 for classic rock, 9/10 for pop).

Hope this helps. I don't want to sound like a HF2 fanboy, but the mids are just on another plane with that earphone and is in a comparable price range. Now I wish I had the bass of the K3 Pro with the HF2 :/

Jun 23, 2017 at 2:38 AM Post #849 of 948
I don't like doing head to head comparisons but I did just post my thoughts on the F5 in its thread

So... It looks like you prefer the F5 to the K3 HD? Both your review and that of @oswalakhil mention recessed mids/vocals on the K3 HD, which is worrisome.

Thanks

Jun 23, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #852 of 948
The biggest difference is the mids, they are too recessed on the K3s. Made most vocals sound too distant.
Mids are the F5s strong point, creates an intimate sound and vocals and guitar shine the most.

Bass is about the same to my ears, maybe slightly more on the K3s but not by much.

Treble is definitely more pronounced on the K3s but are also sibilant.
Treble on the F5s is rolled off, but this I personally like because it creates are warmer more enjoyable and musical sound without harsh highs and like I said in my other post, reminds me a lot of my HD650s.

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #853 of 948
The biggest difference is the mids, they are too recessed on the K3s. Made most vocals sound too distant.
Mids are the F5s strong point, creates an intimate sound and vocals and guitar shine the most.

Bass is about the same to my ears, maybe slightly more on the K3s but not by much.

Treble is definitely more pronounced on the K3s but are also sibilant.
Treble on the F5s is rolled off, but this I personally like because it creates are warmer more enjoyable and musical sound without harsh highs and like I said in my other post, reminds me a lot of my HD650s.

Hmmm, I see what you mean, but at the same time I think I'd like to have the sparkling highs of my old dual BA Fischer Audio DBA-02 IEMs... I once had the Sennheiser HD-580 (not too different from the HD-600/650) and could definitely see where all the "veiled" criticism was coming from.

I'd like an affordable IEM version of my HiFiMAN HE-500 :D

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #855 of 948
Hmmm, I see what you mean, but at the same time I think I'd like to have the sparkling highs of my old dual BA Fischer Audio DBA-02 IEMs... I once had the Sennheiser HD-580 (not too different from the HD-600/650) and could definitely see where all the "veiled" criticism was coming from.

I'd like an affordable IEM version of my HiFiMAN HE-500 :D
Maybe get a vsonic vsd5s. You can get one for 55 bucks right now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back