Madeleine Peyroux -- Anyone Heard "Careless Love"?
Nov 28, 2004 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

john_jcb

This is a customized witticism.
I picked up Madeleine Peyroux's 2004 release of Careless Love Friday night and it quickly is becoming one of my favorites. Her voice is reminiscent of Billy Holiday. This is only her second release in 8 years.

Anyone else had a chance to listen to her?

Nov 28, 2004 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb
I picked up Madeleine Peyroux's 2004 release of Careless Love Friday night and it quickly is becoming one of my favorites. Her voice is reminiscent of Billy Holiday. This is only her second release in 8 years.

Anyone else had a chance to listen to her?

WC Handy right? I have, through the radio. I was surfing the net when 'Careless Love' (only the song) showed up on the radio and grabbed me with how catchy it was. I have a list of songs which I want to attain and that one is highest at my personal rating of 4.8/5.

According to the radio host, it was also only her second release ever and I had never heard of her before. I haven't been able to find it due to the limited range offered by the CD shops here. I may buy that CD (depending on your opinion) and many more albums when I return to Singapore in a week or two. I owe some people a few album reviews!

As such, I'd really like to hear your opinion about the general feel of the album, the quality of the recording and how many song you like in that thing. Hope that's okay with you. Thanks!

Nov 28, 2004 at 6:07 PM Post #4 of 16
I missed his thread entirely. I got my copy at Barnes and Noble. I think I will go back today and see if they have her frst release as well.

Dec 3, 2004 at 5:56 AM Post #6 of 16
Of course I've heard her, check out the "Voice search story" I wrote about it. I submitted that story to Amazon as an unorthodox sort of review, and so far it's the spotlight review
biggrin.gif
. But to the point, Madeleine is simply great, for me one of the current greatest female voices in the world. It's not just her voice per se, her singing is really phenomenal, so pleasant.

Edit: Oops now I see Gene had linked to my thread already.
Edit 2: my review on Amazon is no longer the spotlight one.

Apr 16, 2011 at 12:21 PM Post #7 of 16
SuperBump
Absolutely amazing album,

basically its a collection of modern pop songs, and old nuggets, (Dylan, Cohen, E.Smith)
but its too much original..
There is also a MFSL master of the album,

Apr 17, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #8 of 16
Careless Love is a very nice album, but her next, thirth album, Half the Perfect World is even better. Fantastic covers of 2 Leonard Cohen Songs, Tom Waist' Heart of Saturday Night and much much more. In comparison her latest album, Bare Bones with own compositions sounds much more introvert, but is very beautiful too. I'm a big big fan of MP!

Apr 17, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #9 of 16
I have had this album for a while and like it quite a bit. Not a must listen all the time, but I like listening to it every once in a while. Very enjoyable.

Apr 17, 2012 at 11:40 PM Post #11 of 16
I just picked this up today.  I am a big MP fan.  I was hoping for clearer sound on this album.  Found the bass a little flabby
frown.gif
 .  Although I haven't given it a seious listen and might be OK with Grado instead of DenonD5000.  Tempted to look for the msfl version.

Apr 18, 2012 at 7:41 AM Post #13 of 16
The MFSL vinyl is a Reference Audiophille.

Quote:
I just picked this up today.  I am a big MP fan.  I was hoping for clearer sound on this album.  Found the bass a little flabby
frown.gif
 .  Although I haven't given it a seious listen and might be OK with Grado instead of DenonD5000.  Tempted to look for the msfl version.

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #15 of 16
Get her entire discography. Well worth it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back