= MADE IN THE USA =
Feb 25, 2019 at 11:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 49

pr0ggy

100+ Head-Fier
Decided to attempt a reference thread where we compile a list of US-based audio companies and list them here as reference for anyone interested in supporting gear made in the USA. I'll monitor thread for replies containing new list entries and keep the second post updated. I did some digging and couldn't find any general "Made in the USA" threads but if such a thread already exists or any mods take issue, let me know and I'll remove it. :o2smile:

Edit 1: I'm not necessarily looking for 100% end-to-end manufacturing in the US, just companies that keep a large portion of their design/manufacturing stateside. For example, I would say Schiit Audio falls into this category as their products are designed, asembled, and tested in the US, even though the actual components themselves may not all be sourced from US suppliers.

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #2 of 49
64 Audio (IEMS, Custom IEMs, Cables, Accessories)
ALO Audio (IEMs, Amps, Cables, Accessories)
Alclair (IEMs)
Analysis Plus (Cables)
AntiCables (Cables)
Apex Hi-Fi (Amps)
Audeze (Headphones, IEMs, DACs, Amps)
Audio Research (DACs, Amps)
AudioQuest (Headphones, DACs, Cables, Accessories)
Ayre Acoustics (Preamps, Amps, DACs, Phono, Accessories)

Bellari Audio (Amps, Phono)
Benchmark (DACs, Amps, Cables, Accessories)
Bendy Head (Headphone Stands)
Better Cables (Cables)
Blue Jeans Cable (Cables, Accessories)
BorderPatrol Audio Electronics (Music Servers, DACs, Amps, Speakers, Accessories)
Campfire Audio (Headphones, IEMs, Custom IEMs, Accessories)
Cardas Audio (Cables, Accessories)
Conrad-Johnson (Preamps, Amps)
Cullen Cable (Cables, Accessories)
Dan Clark Audio (Headphones, Cables, Accessories)
Decware (Amps, Speakers, Cables, Accessories)
Donald North Audio (Amplifiers)
Dragonfire Acoustics (Amps, Speakers, Cables)
Eddie Current (Preamps, Amps)
Empire Ears (IEMs, Custom IEMs)
Etymotic Research (IEMs, Custom IEMs, Accessories)
Garage1217 (Amps)
Geshelli Labs (DACs, Amps)
Grado Labs (Headphones, IEMs, Phono)
Hart Audio Cables (Cables)
Headamp (Amps)
InEarz Audio (IEMs, Custom IEMs, Accessories)
JDS Labs (DACs, Amps, Accessories)
JH Audio (IEMs, Accessories)
Kimber Kable (Cables)
Koss (Headphones, Speakers)
LQi Cables (Cables)
Mayflower Electronics (Headphones, DACs, Amps)
McIntosh (Headphones, Amps, Speakers, Cables, Accessories)
Moon Audio (Cables)
Morrow Audio (Cables)
Mr. Speakers (Headphones, Accessories)
Nordost (Cables, Accessories)
Orchard Audio (Music Streamers, Amps)
Pangea Audio (Cables, Accessories)
Periapt Cables (Cables, Accessories)
Periodic Audio (IEMs, Amps, Accessories)
PLUSSOUND Audio (Amps, Cables, Accessories)

PS Audio (DACs, Amps, Phono, Cables, Accessories)
Quicksilver Audio (Preamps, Amps, Accessories)

Ray Samuels Audio (Preamps, Amps, Accessories)
Santa Cruz Audio (IEMs)
Sensaphonics (IEMs)
Schiit Audio (DACs, Amps, Cables, Accessories)
Signal Cable (Cables)
Surf Cables (Cables)
Ursine Audio (Cables, Accessories)
Vandersteen (Amps, Speakers)
VPI Industries (Turntables, Accessories)
Woo Audio (DACs, Amps, Accessories)
ZMF Headphones (Headphones, Amps, Accessories)

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 49
EMPIRE EARS (Custom In Ear Monitors)
Campfire Audio (Universal and one Custom In Ear Monitors)

Feb 26, 2019 at 4:51 AM Post #6 of 49
I definitely support USA over Asia for IEM products despite being Asian myself. I can not get over the mental barrier that some Asian companies may cut costs for higher margins and/or not capable of producing a TOTL IEM compared to a USA company.
Obviously this is a subjective opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

I also believe that bigger well established companies generally have more R&D funding for their products. Once again this is just a personal belief. Some smaller players do hold their weight and are heavy hitters. Empire Ears for example pave their own way and use their own tech and are quite capable.

Benchmark and 64 Audio are some of my favorite brands despite having some issues with 64 Audio in the past.

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #7 of 49
I cheated a bit. :wink: ---> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_headphone_manufacturers

Koss
Etymotic
Bose
Klipsch
Thinksound
V-MODA
Ultimate Ears
Skullcandy
Monster
Beats
Apple
JBL
Turtle Beach
Shure
Master & Dynamic
Plantronics
Harman Kardon
Velodyne
Alesis
Razer
iFrogz
JLab Audio
Fender
KRK
Thanks, will dig through this list today/tomorrow...I know some of these companies actually manufacture their products overseas even though the company may be based in the US, but will double-check each.

I definitely support USA over Asia for IEM products despite being Asian myself. I can not get over the mental barrier that some Asian companies may cut costs for higher margins and/or not capable of producing a TOTL IEM compared to a USA company.
Obviously this is a subjective opinion so take it with a grain of salt.

I also believe that bigger well established companies generally have more R&D funding for their products. Once again this is just a personal belief. Some smaller players do hold their weight and are heavy hitters. Empire Ears for example pave their own way and use their own tech and are quite capable.

Benchmark and 64 Audio are some of my favorite brands despite having some issues with 64 Audio in the past.
The cost-cutting on many of the products I've purchased recently that were made overseas is part of the reason why I decided to make this thread...I do feel that products made in the USA in the same price bracket have a consistently superior fit/finish. Could just be my experience, but your post leads me to think I'm not alone here. Thanks for noting Benchmark and 64A, will get them added!

Feb 26, 2019 at 10:51 AM Post #8 of 49
I hate to spoil the fun, but while a lot of these are american companies, few of them are "Made In The USA." Some of them are only even marginally American companies since they're subsidiaries to larger international companies that are based in other countries.
For instance, Westone, which is an American company, are made in the Philippines.
Ultimate Ears is owned by Logitech, a Swiss company, and manufactured in China.
Even Schiit, which for years has prided itself on being Made In The USA, recently decided to change its tune because such a claim can have legal ramifications if it's not 100% true. Now it's "Designed and Assembled in the USA."

Feb 26, 2019 at 10:52 AM Post #9 of 49
Thanks, will dig through this list today/tomorrow...I know some of these companies actually manufacture their products overseas even though the company may be based in the US, but will double-check each.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if you meant companies that specifically produce their products domestically? I know most of these companies listed here outsource their products. So yeah. Do with it as you wish. :)

Feb 26, 2019 at 10:53 AM Post #10 of 49
I hate to spoil the fun, but while a lot of these are american companies, few of them are "Made In The USA." Some of them are only even marginally American companies since they're subsidiaries to larger international companies that are based in other countries.
For instance, Westone, which is an American company, are made in the Philippines.
Even Schiit, which for years has prided itself on being Made In The USA, recently decided to change its tune because such a claim can have legal ramifications if it's not 100% true. Now it's "Designed and Assembled in the USA."

Basically this is what I wanted to say in my previous post.

Feb 26, 2019 at 11:40 AM Post #11 of 49

Understood, I've come across a number of companies based in US that don't actually manufacture product in the US, and virtually none that do so end-to-end. I suppose what I'm aiming for here are companies that keep at least a large portion of the manufacturing stateside. I would say Schiit falls into this category, even if not all of the sourced components for each product are actually created in the US (open to further opinions on this). I'll update my original post to clarify. I'm not personally familiar with many brands currently in the list in the 2nd post, only going by what I see on their respective websites (looking specifical for "assembled/made in the USA", etc.), so I appreciate the heads-up on Westone...do you know if all of their products are actually manufactured in the Philippines? Do they have any products that are actually assembled in the US? May need to add an asterisk/legend to indicate a split between US/non-US manufacturing across products. Thanks for the feedback!

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2019 at 3:38 PM Post #12 of 49
Understood, I've come across a number of companies based in US that don't actually manufacture product in the US, and virtually none that do so end-to-end. I suppose what I'm aiming for here are companies that keep at least a large portion of the manufacturing stateside. I would say Schiit falls into this category, even if not all of the sourced components for each product are actually created in the US (open to further opinions on this). I'll update my original post to clarify. I'm not personally familiar with many brands currently in the list in the 2nd post, only going by what I see on their respective websites (looking specifical for "assembled/made in the USA", etc.), so I appreciate the heads-up on Westone...do you know if all of their products are actually manufactured in the Philippines? Do they have any products that are actually assembled in the US? May need to add an asterisk/legend to indicate a split between US/non-US manufacturing across products. Thanks for the feedback!
I figured something like this was your intent. And I apologize if it seemed like I was trying to rain on your parade. I wasn't really meaning to, but after reading about Schiit's decision to change their wording I became aware (well, remembered, really) of how regulated such wording could be. On the one hand, I think it's great that there's truth in advertising. On the other, it does seem unfair to companies like Schiit that try to keep as much as possible of their production domestic are now lumped with companies that manufacture overseas. I wish companies could be graded for their levels of Americanness: Grade A American = 100% USA, Grade B = 90%-99%, etc. Of course, there are some big companies that would not be so happy about this.

Anyway, I'm rambling.

Re. Westone: Per their website:
Westone’s headquarters are located in beautiful Colorado Springs, Colorado. This is where you’ll find our manufacturing facilities, our research and development team, our technical service representatives, and all warehousing, shipping and administrative functions.
However, the box that my UM Pro 50 came in says "Made in the Philippines." Other than that, I don't know.
If I had to wager a guess, it'd be that their universal fit products are outsourced and their custom stuff is made domestically. This is entirely a guess, though.

Feb 26, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #14 of 49

Users who are viewing this thread

Back