Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 29, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #36,811 of 48,560
I'm looking to get a pair of headphones for playing Overwatch and PvP SWTOR. They are solely going to be used for gaming, with 85% of that time being group situations. I am also interested in streaming so I have a Q502USB and PDMIC58 (plus a mic boom and pop filter) sitting in a cart. That
 (new) equipment runs about $100. 
That being said, after looking over this guide I was looking at either the K612 Pro or K702. I'm not sure if it makes a difference on needing an amp or not but my current mobo is a ASUS Z170-A.

I'm trying to keep it all to <$500 (and I already have a camera). I'm OK with buying used gear, other than the headphones. My biggest question is about purchasing an amp, I'm really unsure of what to even look for. Does the use the Q502USB mixer change what headphone amp I should buy?
My number 1 recommendation for headphones under $100 For gaming is the Phillips SHP9500.

Oct 29, 2016 at 8:19 AM Post #36,812 of 48,560
  We have a pair of Astro A40 Call of Duty: Black Ops Edition headphones at the office and I've always liked the styling of Astro's headsets so I decided to grab some photos of our pair. Check out the gallery if you have a minute. Hope you guys enjoy.

http://www.head-fi.org/g/a/1108073/astro-a40#

Did You gave them a listen? Any improvement over the previous a40s?

Oct 29, 2016 at 6:56 PM Post #36,813 of 48,560
I have an Xbox 1S and a new Smart TV with Bluetooth capability. I'm curious about a Bluetooth headphone that could not only pair to the TV, but also either pair with the X1S or plug into the jack on an Xbox controller for audio/mic purposes. Is there anything like this that wouldn't require a Mixamp (or something else similar) to be plugged in first?

And if I may be even more picky, is there anything in an open back design?

Thanks.

Oct 30, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #36,815 of 48,560
Hi guys, long time reader but finally first time poster here so go easy:)

I just wondered if anybody is using the built in DTS headphone x with their Samsung TV's over Bluetooth?

Dolby headphone for example requires a 5.1/ 7.1 signal, which then gets translated in to virtual surround for headphones. My Astro mixamp 5.8 is connected via optical to my PS4 and all settings are correct (optical, bitstream Dolby).

Now my question is, what do set the PS4 to in order to get correct DTS headphone x?

Since the PS4 is connected via hdmi directly to the TV, do I send pcm (Stereo) over hdmi or Dolby?

Does dts x require a 5.1/ 7.1 source to work or does it not matter what signal it gets? I know that some turtle beach headsets have dts headphone x but the PS4 needs to be set to bitstream Dolby for them to work correctly. Same with the TAC.

I did try both options. When I set the PS4 to hdmi pcm everything seems ok including sounds from the rear but I don't know if that's just like Dolby headphone converting a stereo signal.

If I set the PS4 to hdmi Dolby I get a slight annoying delay which cannot be adjusted. I do not know if that's because of Bluetooth latency (no delay on hdmi pcm), but the rear sounds seem better.

Sorry for the long post. Just wondered if anybody had a go on their compatible TVs.

Oct 30, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #36,817 of 48,560
Hi guys, long time reader but finally first time poster here so go easy:)
I just wondered if anybody is using the built in DTS headphone x with their Samsung TV's over Bluetooth?
Dolby headphone for example requires a 5.1/ 7.1 signal, which then gets translated in to virtual surround for headphones. My Astro mix-amp 5.8 is connected via optical to my PS4 and all settings are correct (optical, bitstream Dolby).
Now my question is, what do set the PS4 to in order to get correct DTS headphone x?
Since the PS4 is connected via hdmi directly to the TV, do I send pcm (Stereo) over hdmi or Dolby?
Does dts x require a 5.1/ 7.1 source to work or does it not matter what signal it gets? I know that some turtle beach headsets have dts headphone x but the PS4 needs to be set to bitstream Dolby for them to work correctly. Same with the TAC.
I did try both options. When I set the PS4 to hdmi pcm everything seems ok including sounds from the rear but I don't know if that's just like Dolby headphone converting a stereo signal.
If I set the PS4 to hdmi Dolby I get a slight annoying delay which cannot be adjusted. I do not know if that's because of Bluetooth latency (no delay on hdmi pcm), but the rear sounds seem better.
Sorry for the long post. Just wondered if anybody had a go on their compatible TVs.

When sending audio over HDMI, can't see a good reason for using Dolby, just set the source device (PS4) to PCM and 6-channel (5.1) or 8-channel (7.1) output.
Can we assume your Samsung TV comes built in with DTS Headphone X, listed as a feature?
As the PS4 does not come with built in support for DTS Headphone X, not sure why your expecting to get DTS Headphone X from it?
Not understanding how the TV's Bluetooth comes into play, assuming you have no speakers or headphone connected to the TV, using Bluetooth?

Oct 31, 2016 at 3:40 AM Post #36,818 of 48,560
When sending audio over HDMI, can't see a good reason for using Dolby, just set the source device (PS4) to PCM and 6-channel (5.1) or 8-channel (7.1) output.
Can we assume your Samsung TV comes built in with DTS Headphone X, listed as a feature?
As the PS4 does not come with built in support for DTS Headphone X, not sure why your expecting to get DTS Headphone X from it?
Not understanding how the TV's Bluetooth comes into play, assuming you have no speakers or headphone connected to the TV, using Bluetooth?

Sorry if I wasn't very clear. The newer Samsung TV's have dts headphone x built in as a feature, however it's only available over Bluetooth. I have the option of playing normal stereo sound or I can activate headphone surround.

The question was what signal the source would need to send to the TV, so the built in dts headphone x decoder can work properly. As I said I know that Dolby headphone needs a 5.1 or more to work correctly so I wondered if dts headphone x needs the same, or something else

Oct 31, 2016 at 11:00 PM Post #36,820 of 48,560
Sorry if I wasn't very clear. The newer Samsung TV's have dts headphone x built in as a feature, however it's only available over Bluetooth. I have the option of playing normal stereo sound or I can activate headphone surround.

The question was what signal the source would need to send to the TV, so the built in dts headphone x decoder can work properly. As I said I know that Dolby headphone needs a 5.1 or more to work correctly so I wondered if dts headphone x needs the same, or something else

Using HDMI and setting the source's audio to PCM (not Dolby) and max channels, 6 (5.1) or 8 (7.1) or more, would give the DTS Headphone X the best possible signal, for DTS Headphone X to do it's job.
Guessing your Samsung TV might decode Dolby bitstream or DTS bitsteam, but think it's better just to send the signal using PCM.

Nov 1, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #36,822 of 48,560
  Has anyone tried pad-rolling with the Philips SHP9500? I've seen reports of success with Alpha Pads (my favorite-ever pads) to increase bass response. 

Try SRH1540 Alcantara pads.

Nov 2, 2016 at 12:51 PM Post #36,823 of 48,560
I'm a bit confused as to which connection I should use to connect to my Sound Blaster Z. If I were to get the ATH-M50x (I don't have these just using as an example) and wanted to connect to my sound card in my pc for gaming, would I be best to use an amp and use an optical connection to it? Is there a more prefered method? Thanks

Nov 2, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #36,824 of 48,560
  I'm a bit confused as to which connection I should use to connect to my Sound Blaster Z. If I were to get the ATH-M50x (I don't have these just using as an example) and wanted to connect to my sound card in my pc for gaming, would I be best to use an amp and use an optical connection to it? Is there a more preferred method? Thanks

For something like the ATH-M50X headphones, might as well connect it directly to the SB-Z's headphone jack.
Check out the Soundmagic HP150 (closed) headphone and HP200 (semi-open) headphones.

Nov 2, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #36,825 of 48,560
First off, I want to thank MLE and everyone else who has contributed to this thread. Such a wealth of information and I've used it countless times to research different headsets, mixamps, etc.

Background:

Right now, on my PC I'm using a Creative X-Fi Titanium HD paired with a  Massdrop O2 amp and AKG K7XX's w/ mod mic. I also have a Schiit Magni, but prefer the O2.

I also play on Xbox One and PS4 with two different setups. For PS4 I'm using a DSS2, and Xbox is using an old Creative Extigy. Both are paired to a set of Kingston Hyper X Clouds for virtual surround.

In the past I was pretty much a console gamer only, but now I play about 50/50 PC/console. The majority of my time is spent playing FPS (Call of Duty, BF, CS:GO, etc.), so positional cues, and accuracy are number one for me, followed by sound quality, which I think I have covered with the K7XX..now I just need a do it all mixamp.

Like most of you, I've had a number of different setups..Xbox 360/Xbox One include: Triton AX360, Turtle Beach HPX w/ Creative Extigy, Turtle Beach HPX/Astro Mixamp, Razer Orca/Astro Mixamp, AD700/Astro Mixamp and now Kingston Hyper X with Creative Extigy. Out of all of these I think I've gotten the best positional cues from the Astro Mixamp/AD700 or Turtle Beach HPX/Extigy.

On PC, before I bought the X-Fi Titanium I had a Asus Xonar DGX paired with Razer Orcas, and for whatever reason I still feel that setup had better positional cues, and was easier to pinpoint footsteps than the X-Fi. I've tried multiple different settings and still doesn't seem as accurate, although I know the sound quality is much improved with the K7XX and O2. I think I might just be so used to Dolby Surround after using the Mixamp and Extigy for so long.

Having said all that...I'd like to be able to consolidate all of my setups into one, and the Sound Blaster X7 intrigues me. I'd like to be able to get rid of the X-Fi + O2, DSS2, Extigy, HyperX Clouds and replace them all with the X7 and K7XX w/ mod mic. My plan would be to run USB from the X7 to PC, and Optical to both the PS4 and Xbox with a splitter since the X7 only as one optical in. I don't want to have to unplug one or the other anytime I used them. Will that work? 

I know this thread is geared more towards console sound setups, but will I be giving up anything going to the X7 from the X-Fi Titanium HD? If anybody has experience doing what I want to do, or coming from a similar setup, I'd really appreciate the feedback.  Sorry for rambling..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back