Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 12, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #26,881 of 48,560
  What is a recommended amp for Beyerdynamic 770 Premium 600 ohm with a PS4 and Astro Mixamp Pro (2013) such that I can retain surround sound? I have a little dot mkiii that I can use but I'd like to move that to my dedicated setup for my grados. What additional cables will I need to support all of this?

If you know what headphones you want (or have already), questions about amp pairings are best in that headphone's specific thread.  It doesn't hatter that you're using it with a mixamp for the purposes of picking an amp that pairs well.

Nov 12, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #26,882 of 48,560
What is a recommended amp for Beyerdynamic 770 Premium 600 ohm with a PS4 and Astro Mixamp Pro (2013) such that I can retain surround sound? I have a little dot mkiii that I can use but I'd like to move that to my dedicated setup for my grados. What additional cables will I need to support all of this?

Yes, what Stillhart said, though also look at the microphone audio routing discussion on this thread that went down yesterday.

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:45 PM Post #26,885 of 48,560
I havent heard any headphone that leaks enough for any mic to pick it up, except the He400 and HE4, which basically function as portable speakers either direction.

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:58 PM Post #26,886 of 48,560
I havent heard any headphone that leaks enough for any mic to pick it up, except the He400 and HE4, which basically function as portable speakers either direction.

I'm going to ask my wife about sound leakage from the HE-4.  I didn't think it was any worse than the Q701...

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #26,888 of 48,560

I'm going to ask my wife about sound leakage from the HE-4.  I didn't think it was any worse than the Q701...

I can only imagine the response I'd get if I asked my wife about my leakage.

As long as You have a comfortable couch it should be fine.
On the other hand

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzfJncME6ss

Here's a video on Creative X7. Unfortunately it's in German but at least we can take a look at the actual device. Are there any German speaking users here who would be willing to translate it into English?

Nov 12, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #26,889 of 48,560
I would totally get the X7 if I could afford it, and if it was a 3ohm or less output impedance. I know output impedance isn't a huge factor, but it IS a factor, especially when spending $400.

Been awhile since I've heard the HE-4, but having the HE400 not too long ago, I can say with no doubt, they can be heard throughout the entire house with the doors open. If a mic is omnidirectonal, chances are, they'll pick up the sound off those. FWIR, the HE-4 is even more open (Only being single sided magnets), so I don't see how they can leak less. As for the Q701, I didn't feel they leaked TOO badly. Definitely not HE400 level. Dynamic drivers don't have the potency as planars...

Nov 12, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #26,890 of 48,560

Didn't? Do you not have it anymore? I found the HE-400 amusingly open. The Q701 leaked but les than Koss KSC-75's. If you ever used the HE-4 with your mic while gaming, I don't recall ever hearing game audio through your mic (just when you used speakers, and you confirmed that those were speakers).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzfJncME6ss

Here's a video on Creative X7. Unfortunately it's in German but at least we can take a look at the actual device. Are there any German speaking users here who would be willing to translate it into English?

I think Fegefeuer posted it awhile ago... I don't speak German, but from what I recall and if this is the same vid, then it was pretty easy to follow and I said as much in the comments. Not really any new info from what you get on soundblaster.com/x7 just them saying it sounds great too.

The coolest part was seeing that Creative obviously had it set up to demo the X7 powering floor standing speakers.

Nov 12, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #26,891 of 48,560
Didn't? Do you not have it anymore? I found the HE-400 amusingly open. The Q701 leaked but les than Koss KSC-75's. If you ever used the HE-4 with your mic while gaming, I don't recall ever hearing game audio through your mic (just when you used speakers, and you confirmed that those were speakers).

I didn't think it until Mad suggested otherwise.  I still have both.  

I asked my wife and she said she's never noticed it.  But I don't game with the HE-4 so yeah.  With the Q701, she will sometimes hear what my friends are saying and respond.

Anyways, I don't think the leakage is all that bad on the HE-4.  I don't think leakage on any open headphone I've ever heard is all that bad.  But everyone has their own ideas of "bad".

Nov 12, 2014 at 10:38 PM Post #26,892 of 48,560
^ right, like some people can't leave the room to use headphones while someone is sleeping. Even then though, it's quiet enough to get used to... Gamers will be louder just in their natural cursing under their breath!

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:52 PM Post #26,893 of 48,560
I've been using the K712s for about a year now and love them. I'm looking to trade them in for something that has a similar sound but for less price. What do you guys think of the K612 or the Q701? Other options for under $275?

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #26,894 of 48,560
Q701 is similar but more soundstage and a bit more "hot," they aren't overly bright but the treble is a tad more "revealed." Sometimes you'll hear ambient sounds simply trick you into thinking they really just happened nearby. K612 is somewhere between the two but evenly balanced throughout.

But NONE OF THAT MATTERS OMG IM LISTENING TO STAX!

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:05 AM Post #26,895 of 48,560
Q701 is similar but more soundstage and a bit more "hot," they aren't overly bright but the treble is a tad more "revealed." Sometimes you'll hear ambient sounds simply trick you into thinking they really just happened nearby. K612 is somewhere between the two but evenly balanced throughout.

But NONE OF THAT MATTERS OMG IM LISTENING TO STAX!

Gotta love STAX. Electrostats are simply amazing. Just wish the price wasn't so daunting on so many of them. The STAX SRS-2170 system and Koss ESP 950 are good starters though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back