Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 11, 2014 at 1:40 PM Post #26,866 of 48,561

He won't get sbx surround sound if he uses the soundblaster through the dac and amp will he?..it's normally just stereo!!!

You need a DAC with optical input.  The SB will act as a DSP and send the processed sound via stereo through the optical output. 

Source:  my current setup works that way.

Nov 11, 2014 at 2:58 PM Post #26,868 of 48,561
  So what do you guys suggest? I get the DT 770 250ohm and the Magni Modi Combo?

Also, if I get that, do I need to purchase any other cables to connect to my pc?

Looking back at some of your posting history.  You don't have a soundcard, just a motherboard with onboard sound.  

Have we determined if it has surround sound?  If so, you probably don't need the Schiit stack at all for the DT770.  You could amp with just the Magni if needed.  An Optical Modi might work if you mobo passes the processed sound thru optical (dirver-dependent, no idea if this will work for your setup) and it may not offer much improvement depending how good the DAC on your mobo is.

If your mobo doesn't do surround, you'll probably want a sound card to process your surround.  I'd recommend a Sound Blaster Z or Omni.  Again, don't think you'll need an amp with it.  But if you want one, just get the Magni and forget about the Modi.  The Modi isn't better than what's in the SBZ.

If you don't care about surround, just get a Schiit stack and be done with it.

Nov 11, 2014 at 3:16 PM Post #26,869 of 48,561

Looking back at some of your posting history.  You don't have a soundcard, just a motherboard with onboard sound.  

Have we determined if it has surround sound?  If so, you probably don't need the Schiit stack at all for the DT770.  You could amp with just the Magni if needed.  An Optical Modi might work if you mobo passes the processed sound thru optical (dirver-dependent, no idea if this will work for your setup) and it may not offer much improvement depending how good the DAC on your mobo is.

If your mobo doesn't do surround, you'll probably want a sound card to process your surround.  I'd recommend a Sound Blaster Z or Omni.  Again, don't think you'll need an amp with it.  But if you want one, just get the Magni and forget about the Modi.  The Modi isn't better than what's in the SBZ.

If you don't care about surround, just get a Schiit stack and be done with it.

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #26,872 of 48,561
hello!!!!
im taking the first steps in quality audio, and i want you help if possible
i have a 200€tops for a headphone 150€ is where im more comfortable. i can only buy in EU shops 
i cant decide between AKG k612 /sennheiser hd 598  /beyrdynamics dt990, recommend others if u think are more suitable 
For sound card i will get asus xonar u7/ SOUND BLASTER X-FI HD/SoundBlaster Omni  wich better?

i currently have a superlux 681 evo i like the sound but the lead singer voice is overpowered by the background sounds making a bit wied to hear more vocal songs 

im not a bass-head i want headphones for music mostly and gaming (bf4) not hardcore gamer but still want to know from where im getting shot from trying to get the most immersive experience as possible.
my music tip is EDM/POP/ROCK a bit of everything

if someone could enlightenment me i really appreciate 

thanks
Starv3d

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:16 PM Post #26,873 of 48,561
none of those are options for me. I live in Japan. options are vastless different, and often limited depending on your budget.

A USB mic is out of the question. I game with a boom mic using the M100s or X1. 

Using a USB mic you get simulated surround like the turtle beach or astro gives you with the Dolby headphone technology? 

I think you misunderstood me... Which is okay, your English is better than my Nihingo!

Point #1:
Plugging amp into Mixamp–type thing is Recommended!

Point #2:
The Mixamp's headphone jack has 3 audio channels: Left-ear output, Right-ear output, and microphone (mic) input. All amplifiers (that I know of) do not have the ability to pass the mic audio through. Therefore, you need a way to route the mic AROUND the amp. You can:
A: buy a cheap adapter that separates the mic channel from the L/R audio channel, and plug a cheap clip-on or "lapel" mic into the adapter.

B: buy the same adapter as above that separates the mic channel, and buy another adapter that does the opposite (brings the mic channel and L/R audio channels back together), literally wiring the mic channel around the amp and putting all the channels back together, and then plugging in your BoomPro (this means a mess of wires for your system, but HEY! You get to keep using the boompro!).

C: buy a USB Microphone, like a Blue Snowball or Samson Go Mic, and plug it straight into the PS4. The PS4 will use the mic for chat audio, and the Mixamp will only be used for processing surround audio (and you plug an amp and then headphones into that).

I wish it was easier, but the Mixamp wasn't designed to easily be used with nice headphones. Option A is the most simple and your Mixamp may even have come with the adapter, but I'm describing all the options I know of so you can make your own choice.

Bruh, they are currently at 80 to 90 on amazon right now...the Z cards of course. BF they will drop to that again. I just hate how amazon does this all the time.....but eh, i can wait...getting a Z card for PC only and I will buy a better DAC and AMP and use optical to pass through the Z cards amp.

but thats later though lol

edit: i really want to try a tube amp though....hmmmmm

Yeah, and the Soundblaster Z was initially released costing around $150, so... Thanks for proving my point? Even now the SB products have gone back up in price to about $50-$70 below the original price.

Again, my point was it took many months to see a price drop, the options are to wait for like half a year for $50 savings, wait even longer AND put in effort checking for flash sales to get $60-$75 savings, or just buy it near release for the sake of convenience and the pleasure of enjoying it right away.

The other thing to consider is that the X7 will be a flagship product, so you probably won't have a want to replace it unless you fall into financial hardship (always make sure you have enough money, and squirrel away some savings!).

If someone only plays on PC, then yeah just get a Soundblaster Omni (SBX, better standalone capability, Mac OS X compatible) or Asus U3 and later on add an amp then add an optical DAC, but for console gamers the X7 will be aguably a better option than even a home theater receiver because it has more gaming features.

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #26,874 of 48,561

It has sound blaster cinema surround sound.

I always found Paul to sound somewhat soothing to listen to.

@2:40 we see the back of the box and, yep, mention of Soundblaster Cinema Surround, but the marketing is "better sound" not specifically "surround processing for headphones." If somebody is in the market for a new motherboard (why are you on this thread?), then I'd advise looking at the product page and researching Soundblaster "Cinema" surround and make sure it processes surround for headphones and isn't just a nice EQ effect or notation that it routes audio through the standard three speaker 3.5mm jacks (Front L/R, Rear L/R, Center/Subwoofer).

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:38 PM Post #26,875 of 48,561
I think you misunderstood me... Which is okay, your English is better than my Nihingo!

Point #1:
Plugging amp into Mixamp–type thing is Recommended!

Point #2:
The Mixamp's headphone jack has 3 audio channels: Left-ear output, Right-ear output, and microphone (mic) input. All amplifiers (that I know of) do not have the ability to pass the mic audio through. Therefore, you need a way to route the mic AROUND the amp. You can:
A: buy a cheap adapter that separates the mic channel from the L/R audio channel, and plug a cheap clip-on or "lapel" mic into the adapter.
B: buy the same adapter as above that separates the mic channel, and buy another adapter that does the opposite (brings the mic channel and L/R audio channels back together), literally wiring the mic channel around the amp and putting all the channels back together, and then plugging in your BoomPro (this means a mess of wires for your system, but HEY! You get to keep using the boompro!).
C: buy a USB Microphone, like a Blue Snowball or Samson Go Mic, and plug it straight into the PS4. The PS4 will use the mic for chat audio, and the Mixamp will only be used for processing surround audio (and you plug an amp and then headphones into that).

I wish it was easier, but the Mixamp wasn't designed to easily be used with nice headphones. Option A is the most simple and your Mixamp may even have come with the adapter, but I'm describing all the options I know of so you can make your own choice.
Yeah, and the Soundblaster Z was initially released costing around $150, so... Thanks for proving my point? Even now the SB products have gone back up in price to about $50-$70 below the original price.

Again, my point was it took many months to see a price drop, the options are to wait for like half a year for $50 savings, wait even longer AND put in effort checking for flash sales to get $60-$75 savings, or just buy it near release for the sake of convenience and the pleasure of enjoying it right away.

The other thing to consider is that the X7 will be a flagship product, so you probably won't have a want to replace it unless you fall into financial hardship (always make sure you have enough money, and squirrel away some savings!).

If someone only plays on PC, then yeah just get a Soundblaster Omni (SBX, better standalone capability, Mac OS X compatible) or Asus U3 and later on add an amp then add an optical DAC, but for console gamers the X7 will be aguably a better option than even a home theater receiver because it has more gaming features.

I actually said the price of 80 to 90 bucks because you said it currently is sold at around 50. Just had to make a correction about the current price. Now, as to waiting for a price drop...we are talking about 2 weeks left before fridat.....wouldnt it be more logical to wait for the price dro? Ccc shows it happend last year so it could happen again. Now, if it was back in april that i was planning on purchasing the z card, then it would be a different story. like i stated, i was talking about now...not later, not before...but soon or now lol.

now, you dont want people having buyers remorse do you? lol I build a PC back in May/June...i couldnt wait....and seeing how prices are going to be....it really isnt much different unless you are getting more expensive hardware, in which you may save more money. plus every cent counts. saving 5 bucks can be used for lunch....or a cheap case fan lol

Nov 11, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #26,876 of 48,561
Rudy,
I'm speculating that the X7 will take a while to drop in price once it's released. That speculation was based off the history of how the ZxR, Z, and Omni held MSRP for several months, and that the price on those only dropped on average by $50-$60 bucks, reaching the prices which they remain at today that you quoted.

Again, for people reading the thread, if you play on consoles AND you're looking for an upgrade over a Mixamp, the X7 looks like it will be cool when it's released, and it will probably be awhile before it's price drops. If it's your first surround processor, a Mixamp/DSS/Recon3D USB may be enough to satisfy you at an entry-level. IF, LIKE RUDY, you only want a PC option, go ahead and get the devices out now or look for a sale which may happen (didn't last year, I got the Omni on sale in like... January or Feburary).

I always go back to talking about consoles because the topic of this thread is headphone surround for consoles, and I assume people read these posts after searching for that topic.

Nov 11, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #26,877 of 48,561
Just to show off a little bit, I just did the soundstage/foam mod on my 598s. This is how they look now:
Didn't have the chance to play using them yet, but I'll post my impressions when I do.

Nov 11, 2014 at 10:50 PM Post #26,878 of 48,561
Ooops sorry EV....i was on my phone when l posted that lol. My phone was really sluggish for some reason and wouldnt let me delete part of it :frowning2:. Need new phone i guess.

Yeah, the only reason I want a Z card for my pc only is because I dont like switching out back and foward with my recon3d amd like it to be just for consoles, wgile the Z card will be enough for the PC gaming.

On the other hand, if I had the money for the X7.....i would sell my recon3d asap and jump on the x7 and by this time, i wouldnt mind switching it bavk and foward between consoles. Plus the sound quality may be even better than the recon3d. Plus the added features, like an amp for bookshelf speakers, which I hope by next year ill be able to purchase.

Nov 12, 2014 at 2:41 AM Post #26,879 of 48,561
Rudy,
And I know you'll like the fact that the price for a Recon3D USB has gone up... I forgot that you had one of those.
I do believe that, if your console and computer are next to eachother, there's enough input options to leave both plugged in. Here's hoping anyway. But yeah, if hooking the Recon3D up again every time is a pain (I don't like reconnecting my PS4 between bedroom and game room right now), then you'd be solid with a Z or Omni. Good luck on sale prices!

Maybe try restoring your phone's software? That can help if just quitting apps and restarting the phone doesn't improve it anymore.

Yethal,
That actually looks pretty awesome, looking forward to impressions :)
I always thought the bold look of the HD598 was handsome.

Nov 12, 2014 at 9:27 AM Post #26,880 of 48,561
What is a recommended amp for Beyerdynamic 770 Premium 600 ohm with a PS4 and Astro Mixamp Pro (2013) such that I can retain surround sound? I have a little dot mkiii that I can use but I'd like to move that to my dedicated setup for my grados. What additional cables will I need to support all of this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back