Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 10, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #23,687 of 48,562
Just updating, I got SBX surround working with Optical out. Firmware updates and settings fiddling were required. Also found this interesting info tidbit:
Gigabyte has their upcoming Z97x G1 board which uses the same Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC on the SBZ/Zx/Omni and a TI BurrBrown OPA2134 as an op-amp.

May 10, 2014 at 4:45 PM Post #23,688 of 48,562
Just updating, I got SBX surround working with Optical out. Firmware updates and settings fiddling were required. Also found this interesting info tidbit:
Gigabyte has their upcoming Z97x G1 board which uses the same Cirrus Logic CS4398 DAC on the SBZ/Zx/Omni and a TI BurrBrown OPA2134 as an op-amp.

Yeah, I'm keeping an eye on the new line of motherboards and what they'll bring to the table. Now would not be the best time to buy most computer parts, wait a little bit and see what new comes around.

May 10, 2014 at 5:26 PM Post #23,689 of 48,562
Yeah, I'm keeping an eye on the new line of motherboards and what they'll bring to the table. Now would not be the best time to buy most computer parts, wait a little bit and see what new comes around.

I agree on waiting a bit since it's the eve of the Intel Z97 chipset launch, but I'm not expecting dramatic improvements in sound quality.

You want to be guaranteed good sound? Get a sound card, that's the only way to be sure. (Unless you're going mini-ITX, then you won't have the room with a graphics card installed.)

Speaking of motherboards, I should do something about that spare Maximus VI Hero board I bought in case something went seriously wrong with my first one. I don't have the funds to build a complete new system around it right now, but no one would want a last-gen Z87 board now.

May 10, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #23,690 of 48,562
I agree on waiting a bit since it's the eve of the Intel Z97 chipset launch, but I'm not expecting dramatic improvements in sound quality.

You want to be guaranteed good sound? Get a sound card, that's the only way to be sure. (Unless you're going mini-ITX, then you won't have the room with a graphics card installed.)

Speaking of motherboards, I should do something about that spare Maximus VI Hero board I bought in case something went seriously wrong with my first one. I don't have the funds to build a complete new system around it right now, but no one would want a last-gen Z87 board now.

For the right price you can sell pretty much any motherboard. I doubt you can expect to get back what you paid unless you got it at a steal. But I've seen people buy motherboards just because they were cheap, no other reason.

May 10, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #23,691 of 48,562

The only ones worth are from Gigabyte, in terms of audio that is (well that and Gigabyte's reliability since P67 has been exceptional). Though only the Gigabyte Z97x G1 WiFi BK, G1 and G1. Sniper uses the CS4398 DAC from Cirrus Logic. All the other boards are still using Realtek's ALC1150, but they do come with SBX X-Fi MB3/SBX Cinema. All of which has SBX Surround that I can confirm to be working as it should, except with different settings.

May 10, 2014 at 6:05 PM Post #23,692 of 48,562

I have to disagree with this. I currently have the Dragonfly V1 and it's an enjoyable little piece of kit. Not blow me away nice, but it's better than onboard sound out of many computers.

Have you heard any of the competition like the Audioengine D3 or the Microstreamer to compare?

Surely headphone surround is critical - what's the point of the Dragonfly if it can't do it...?

For me, it'd be for work where I won't be gaming.  For the other guy to whom I suggested it, I'm pretty sure he said he would be using it mostly for music (I'd have to scroll back and check).

Good news on both counts.  Tho I am scared to see how much that thing might cost.  Gigabyte likes to pack their MB's with all kinds of ports and goodies that many folks won't use.  I don't see the point in a $300 MB when you can get a $100 MB and a $75 sound card to do the same thing...

That's what the Omni is for!  :-D

May 10, 2014 at 9:16 PM Post #23,693 of 48,562

I have to disagree with this. I currently have the Dragonfly V1 and it's an enjoyable little piece of kit. Not blow me away nice, but it's better than onboard sound out of many computers.

I also own a Dragonfly 1.1 and I find the HRT Headstreamer to be more robust and lively. The Dragonfly at it's initial $250 is overpriced. The newly price reduced model is totally worth it (only $100). I have not heard a Dragonfly 1.2 yet..

What's cool is both work on the PS4 no problem and sound excellent, much better than using the output on the controller.

May 11, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #23,695 of 48,562
  I really need to wait until I get my K612 back to really give some good impressions on these.

So far, I'm sticking with my initial post about these sounding very similar to the SRH1840. The detail and imaging I'm getting with these is AMAZING. It's similarly bass light like the SRH1840, but better textured and there is absoulutely no low frequency distortion (like the SRH1840 is known for).

I think we have a new sound whoring go-to headphone in the $200 range. Still not absolutely positive a BoomPro will fit, however...

Just amazing to look at, too!

Do you prefer the 612 Pro or the HP 200?
For gaming? Music?

May 11, 2014 at 5:53 PM Post #23,696 of 48,562
Do you prefer the 612 Pro or the HP 200?

For gaming? Music?

I'll have to wait until my K612 gets back from tour to answer that question. The HP200 sounds like it may be a bit similar to the stock K612, but its hard to tell without it here (plus my brain mainly remembers how the K612 sounds with the K702 pads).

I can say, however, that the HP200 falls in the neutral/detailed group with the likes of the SRH1840, HD600, Q701/K702, and K612/K601.

May 11, 2014 at 5:57 PM Post #23,697 of 48,562
I'll have to wait until my K612 gets back from tour to answer that question. The HP200 sounds like it may be a bit similar to the stock K612, but its hard to tell without it here (plus my brain mainly remembers how the K612 sounds with the K702 pads).

I can say, however, that the HP200 falls in the neutral/detailed group with the likes of the SRH1840, HD600, Q701/K702, and K612/K601.

Thanks for your input.

May 11, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #23,698 of 48,562

Thanks for your input.

To give a better idea of what I'm talking about... 

I can say the HP200 measures somewhat in line with these others....

May 11, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #23,699 of 48,562
Hello everyone. I'm new to the forums and thought this might be the best place to post my concerns/questions. I was using the turtle beach px21's that came with the earforce dss amp with my ps3. Lo and behold, a side of my headset snaps off one night when I go to use them. So I then had to proceed to get me a replacement. Enter Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide. After researching I decided on the Creative Aurvana Live headphones he recommended. I'm using them with the dss on my ps4 now and have been enjoying them. I was watching Akira 25th Anniversary Blu Ray a couple nights ago and had selected the Japanese 5.1 Dolby TrueHD track. I noticed that the light on the dss was reading for PLXII and not DD (Dolby Digital). I am now concerned if I am not doing something right or haven't applied the right settings. Is it perfectly fine for it not to run in DD? Is it better that way? Is the dss crap? Advice/tips are much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back