Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 4, 2012 at 7:06 AM Post #7,351 of 48,562
Quote:
Aw, shucks. Thanks. I was sorta kidding. XD
I do this out of personal enjoyment. I'm glad it helps others out. I am by no means a pro or anything, and I can't see this guide being much bigger than it is (I'm not exactly rich, lol), but it's a place where we can all discuss such things. I'm a bit close minded, in that I can't recommend anything to anyone looking to play games in basic stereo (it almost all sounds the same to me in stereo positioning-wise, which is to say, not impressive), so the guide isn't very universally friendly. Lol. That and recommending headsets in less than multi-hundred dollar budgets, which is what a LOT of people ask me about in private messages. I'd love to help everyone, but sadly, it's impossible.

I think the positional audio and detail provided by headphones as a whole is a benefit over speakers. I use my SR60s over my 5.1 any day. 

Sep 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM Post #7,353 of 48,562
OMG Mad! An avatar NOT from Anime? 0o0
You all better appreciate this. I spent HOURS obsessing over this update. :angry_face:

Maybe it wouldn't take as long or be as frustrating if you typed with your whole hand rather than hunt&peck? LMAO I'm kidding, thanks for looking around and finding linkage.

I hear what you say about good amps with good headphones. I said as much in my Recon3D review, though I know I am guilty of mainly driving my Q701s with a FiiO E5. Upgrades come when budget allows.

Eric_C,
"All I know is that pleather made me sweatier in my weather so it was better to swap it for velour." This line has a kind of poetic cadence, with velour a rhyme suprise that made me smile. Just thought I'd share :)

Sep 4, 2012 at 12:51 PM Post #7,355 of 48,562
so headphones are better than true 5.1 speakers for posistional audio??

Well, directions are easier to distinguish on a true 5.1 or 7.1 loudspeaker Hi-Fi system, but speakers that can perform as well as great headphones cost SIGNIFICANTLY more. And some people just prefer the intimacy & privacy of headphones. Now, the headphone virtual surround processors do a pretty decent job with 5.1 and 7.1 surround sources, but computer games can create true binaural 3D sound that isn't limited to 7.1 speaker channels, filling in the positioning holes and accounting for sounds above and below in addition to front and back.

So overall, my opinion is that "headphones [with virtual surround] are better than true 5.1 speakers," at least from the standpoint of detail and accuracy. Also in no small part due to keeping my mom off my back :wink:

Sep 4, 2012 at 2:35 PM Post #7,356 of 48,562
Quote:
Well, directions are easier to distinguish on a true 5.1 or 7.1 loudspeaker Hi-Fi system, but speakers that can perform as well as great headphones cost SIGNIFICANTLY more. And some people just prefer the intimacy & privacy of headphones. Now, the headphone virtual surround processors do a pretty decent job with 5.1 and 7.1 surround sources, but computer games can create true binaural 3D sound that isn't limited to 7.1 speaker channels, filling in the positioning holes and accounting for sounds above and below in addition to front and back.
So overall, my opinion is that "headphones [with virtual surround] are better than true 5.1 speakers," at least from the standpoint of detail and accuracy. Also in no small part due to keeping my mom off my back
wink.gif

Yea, years ago  my dad told me he was gonna throw my speakers out in the trash if i didn't turn them down.

Sep 4, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #7,357 of 48,562
Hah, kinda happened when I was playing Syndicate with my speakers+sub. About 30sec after the dubstep boss fight started, the pounding and yelling at my bedroom door started and I had to swap to headphones.

Sep 4, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #7,358 of 48,562
Quote:
I do this out of personal enjoyment. I'm glad it helps others out. I am by no means a pro or anything, and I can't see this guide being much bigger than it is (I'm not exactly rich, lol), but it's a place where we can all discuss such things. I'm a bit close minded, in that I can't recommend anything to anyone looking to play games in basic stereo (it almost all sounds the same to me in stereo positioning-wise, which is to say, not impressive), so the guide isn't very universally friendly. Lol. That and recommending headsets in less than multi-hundred dollar budgets, which is what a LOT of people ask me about in private messages. I'd love to help everyone, but sadly, it's impossible.

Well, I'm sure glad you've done so! This guide is a great help to us all.

That underlined part also gives me a lot of trouble, because the AD700s are generally not favored anymore ever since the SR850 showed up, and I haven't tried that one. The only headphones I can recommend for gaming right now, without hesitation, are second-hand Stax Lambda setups, and those make a lot of headphones on this list seem downright affordable because of the amplification requirements that electrostatics have.

It's why I point people to your guide, actually; you have experience with more affordable headphones alongside the more expensive stuff like D7000s and HE-400s.

Sep 4, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #7,360 of 48,562
As I just mentioned, I can't say much about headsets, especially ones not on my guide. I don't like headsets, and I don't like to recommend anything I haven't tried myself.

Sep 4, 2012 at 8:25 PM Post #7,361 of 48,562
deadhorse.gif
      Off topic here but!...

Alright boys! I think I might get my radiator problem fixed with FrozenCPU. Though it's not their fault they are going to correct it. (Defective Radiator possibly.) Thought I'd let you guys know and give a shout out to FrozenCPU.com!
beerchug.gif

Sep 4, 2012 at 11:03 PM Post #7,363 of 48,562
I'd choose the Q701 out of those, for sure. Not sure if the Titanium HD has a built in amp or not, but for gaming, I'm sure it'd be fine,

Sep 4, 2012 at 11:23 PM Post #7,364 of 48,562
The Titanium HD doesn't have a headphone amp, creative info is misleading.  Also I would say the Q701 as well just from seeing a couple of people mentioning that it  easy to drive. You def do not want a AKG K702 I used to have one and boy its picky with which every amp you use with it. I did in up finding something that worked nice with.

Sep 4, 2012 at 11:35 PM Post #7,365 of 48,562
The Q701 ais as hard to drive as the K701/2. It just has a fuller sound, so it SEEMS easier to drive. It isn't. They both need quality amping, and they are both very picky with amps. By far the pickiest headphone I have used in terms of amping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back