Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 26, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #43,067 of 48,561
False. My Clears have a narrow soundstage and with SBX added it's still narrow. $120 PC37X outperforms them when it comes to positioning in virtual surround

Interesting, from the initial pictures they seemed to be using the same basic frame as the mobius

I'll take pics tomorrow so you can spot the subtle changes. The headband is different, the padding section is longer and feels different, and the extension mechanism is placed higher up. They look similar at a glance, but really, it's two different headbands.

Oct 26, 2019 at 4:20 PM Post #43,068 of 48,561
Whish I had bought Fidelio X2 when I had a chance, they were like $120 months ago in my country but now out of stock. SHP9500 is easier to find and quite cheap. I did a little price search and their cost to me for the headphones you mentioned. So I can buy SHP9500 for $122, Game One for $207, X2 for $212, PC373D for $214 and you didn't mention but HD599 for $208. They are quite close on pricing except SHP9500 but which one to buy.
I dunno about your region but here in Europe, the GSP 500 headset which was released last year as a successor to the Game One is currently over 30% off.

Also, something else that has occurred to me is that there’s no point in you getting a 373D instead of a Senn Game One or GSP 500 unless you intend to use it for PC gaming as the increased cost of the 373D comes down to the Dolby headphone USB surround unit which will only get multichannel VSS from PC (as no existing console supports multichannel via USB). I suppose if it’s only $7 difference, it might be better to go for the 373D over the Game One for versatility but if the pricing changes and the difference becomes much more than that then the Game One or the aforementioned GSP 500 would be the better option.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019 at 8:26 PM Post #43,069 of 48,561
I dunno about your region but here in Europe, the GSP 500 headset which was released last year as a successor to the Game One is currently over 30% off.

Also, something else that has occurred to me is that there’s no point in you getting a 373D instead of a Senn Game One or GSP 500 unless you intend to use it for PC gaming as the increased cost of the 373D comes down to the Dolby headphone USB surround unit which will only get multichannel VSS from PC (as no existing console supports multichannel via USB). I suppose if it’s only $7 difference, it might be better to go for the 373D over the Game One for versatility but if the pricing changes and the difference becomes much more than that then the Game One or the aforementioned GSP 500 would be the better option.
Actually, I am really tempted about X2HRs because looks like it fits to music genres which I like too but waiting for more discount. Cheapest X2HR that I found costs only for $135 on amazon but $91,57 for shipping+tax hits really hard.

Oct 27, 2019 at 7:16 AM Post #43,070 of 48,561
Does anyone have additional info about project auris? All I could find is that it will be a new “g” series external solution with better console compatibility and “ease of use”.

hopefully they aim high with this one, the x3 was a bit of a dud...

Oct 27, 2019 at 1:38 PM Post #43,071 of 48,561
I have Q701 for gaming powered by O2 amp with external surround from Creative Omni. It's good, but I would appreciate a bit more bass for the SFX without losing on the soundstage. Is there anything better than Q701 for FPS?

Oct 27, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #43,072 of 48,561
Not sure what you mean by "external surround sound from Creative Labs Omni" ?
Is the Omni connected to the O2.....using which jack(s) on the Omni?

Oct 27, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #43,075 of 48,561
I have Q701 for gaming powered by O2 amp with external surround from Creative Omni. It's good, but I would appreciate a bit more bass for the SFX without losing on the soundstage. Is there anything better than Q701 for FPS?
Have a look at the 612 Pro if you want to keep the price down, otherwise K7XX or K712 Pro is probably your best bet.

This is a really good comparison from headfi user Ryanr197. It doesn’t feature the 612 Pro (if you search this thread for 612, Mad Lust Envy gives good impressions of it) but it covers and compares all the other major SKUs in that segment of AKG’s headphone range:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/my-...s-and-the-rest-to-stop-this-confusion.752994/

Cheaper Alternative solution - Change Pads

If you go by the above comparison then adding the k712 pads to your Q701 should give you something very close to a K7XX.
Massdrop do a Dekoni pad sale for AKG pads every few months or so. They just finished one now.

You could get the elite velour pads next time round which are closest to the stock pads that come with the K7XX and put them on your Q701 to turn it into something approaching a K7XX clone. Alternatively, if you want a bit more bass then you could go for the elite *hybrid* pads. Either way it would be cheaper and perhaps less hassle than buying a new headphone. (I don’t recommend buying official replacements from AKG or elsewhere due to the ridiculously high cost per pad.)

https://drop.com/buy/dekoni-premium-earpads-for-akg-k7xx

You can also get the same direct from Dekoni at any time but they charge more than when they sell through Massdrop.

https://dekoniaudio.com/filter/?product_cat=k7xx&product_cat=k7xx

I have the K7XX. I enjoy bass but am by no means a bass head or a volume junkie. If I want to focus on a bass immersive experience with no EQ tweaking then I use my Fidelio X2s. If I want more precise imaging, separation and airiness then I will use the K7XX.

For the K7XX with stock pads (which should be very close to your Q701 plus K712 pads / Dekoni elite velour pads), the K7XX bass experience is perfectly adequate, perhaps decent even, but just shy of truly pleasing for cinematic gaming and movie watching. If I put the Hybrid pads on the K7XX then the bass characteristics feel like an excellent compromise around halfway between the Fidelio X2 and the K7XX w/stock pads.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #43,076 of 48,561
@Fegefeuer

Hmm, LCD-1 soundstaging isn't really matched with virtual surround from the little I've played of Outer Worlds and Modern Warfare.

It's competent, but I don't feel a strong sense of rear depth. Based off virtual surround performance with both DH and SBX, the LCD-1 wouldn't be a top choice. I think it'd make a much better choice for gamers who play in stereo. Or aren't super critical in terms of soundstaging.

This may change as I test other stuff, but preliminary testing doesn't convince me.

It could also be the games themselves not having a good sense if rear depth. Which isn't impossible.

In any case, that may be the only shortcoming I have for these. The LCD-1 sounds so damn good. It's a shame I don't have any pads I can replace the stock ones with since they're on the smaller side. I want some fabric pads, asap.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #43,077 of 48,561
Guys, I'm a owner of a Sennheiser HD 598 headphone and a Creative Sound Blaster Titanium X-FI HD soundcard and I'm looking for upgrade both (for gaming).

Which headphone do you suggest to upgrade from a HD 598? And soundcard? A Creative Sound Blaster AE-5 will be a good upgrade or doesn't worth it?

I'm looking for better soundstage to better hear the "footsteps" on FPS, but I don't want a poor sound for other gamings too.

Regards,

Ricardo

Oct 28, 2019 at 10:05 AM Post #43,079 of 48,561
I keep seeing "dolby headphone" in here. is there a standalone device that I can buy, or is the author referring to the Dolby Access app for atmos?
Astro Mixamps, Asus Xonar U3, and various other, older gaming devices and external soundcards. Personally, I use the Asus Xonar U3 for PC. It's a small usb stick sized soundcard. I use it just to send out Dolby Headphone through it's optical out to my Modi 3's optical in.

It was like $40 when I bought it. Well worth it.

u3dh.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back